Burned CDs Refuse to Play in Car Stereo by rbell2915
Started on: 04-28-2014 10:15 PM
Replies: 33 (508 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 04-30-2014 01:17 PM
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi! So a weekend or so ago I ripped out the aftermarket head unit in my Fiero and installed a Firebird one in order to appear more stock.
I burned a few of my albums from iTunes onto CD-Rs (700 mb/80 mins) by:

• copying the albums,
  • pasting them to a designated folder in Windows Explorer,
  • then exporting them to a playlist in Media Player.
  • After I did that, I proceeded to burn one complete album per every one disc.

The majority of the CDs were completely scratch-free and still skipped around some when playing. Then after awhile the head unit refused to play anymore and ejected the disk and gave an E20 error (which tells me that the laser is not focusing correctly, I believe). But when I insert an actual, physical copy of an album (not burned), the head unit plays it flawlessly. I'm very perplexed on what the problem is, and what the solution may be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

------------------
-1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
*October 2, 2012
------------------

Don't climb for a lifetime only to fall short of infinity.

[This message has been edited by rbell2915 (edited 04-29-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will the CDs you burned play back anywhere else?

If the CD player in your car isn't borked, and it's capable of playing back MP3s off a disc, that's the route to go IMO. You can get a heck of a lot of MP3s on a "data" CD (even with high bitrates) as opposed to burning an audio CD with WAV files.
Rallaster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen music burned in an unrecognized format cause similar errors, but usually unrecognized formats just cause the disc to get ejected.

Have you played burned discs in this specific player before?
DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
as pat said, check around on other CD player units to see if they work.

Could be your CD player in the car has a problem with that brand of CD or even the way your CDs are written or all CDRs in general.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sounds like you made a data CD of computer files - not an audio CD.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's possible the Firebird unit isn't set up to play CD-RW's. Just because it's a CD player doesn't mean it will read every type of CD. I've ran into that problem a few times over the years. Yes the vast majority of "current" CD players will read a RW disc, however your not using a "current" CD player. Your using a unit that is at the very least 13 years old. 13 years ago not ever CD player would read a RW disc and if it's an even older headunit the chances it's not set up for reading a RW disc are even greater. I had several headunits back in the day that wouldn't read a RW disc. It used to be you had to look at the supported formats and see if it supported RW's.

You'll notice on this older headunit it lists CDR/RW as a supported format.

I'm not saying that is the situation here, but it's possible.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 04-29-2014).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Firebird head unit probably doesn't support CD-Rs.

That said, you guys are still putting music on discs? You can get an aftermarket unit with a USB port and MP3 support for around $100, and a USB thumb drive that can hold a couple thousand MP3s for around $10-20.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

That said, you guys are still putting music on discs?

Don't you be making fun of us. The little lady loves my DeSoto.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
burn speed often does matter for CD and DVD.
Try setting Player's burn speed to slow (options, burn tab) and do another test.

Using iTunes? Yuck.
Try using generic MP3 or WMA and burn to audio CD using Media Player.
Rip CD and burn the copy using MP. Default Ripping is WMA and producing a better copy when burn. (WMA eats allot more system disk space vs MP3.)
Note that MP is much better at tagging and naming ripped output and sorts them into folders w/o any user help. Even can fix many bad tags in MP3 files. (Many tags are to F'ed to start so MP and tag editor software can't ID the file.)

Many old units doesn't like some/allot of recordable media, let alone RW media. Have different "headers" on the media vs a factory pressed CD and may have problems reading those headers. Headers contain many things including allowed speed if recordable, maker...

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-29-2014).]

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 05:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Don't you be making fun of us. The little lady loves my DeSoto.

Yes, but what about your car?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

That said, you guys are still putting music on discs? You can get an aftermarket unit with a USB port and MP3 support for around $100, and a USB thumb drive that can hold a couple thousand MP3s for around $10-20.

Did you read the original post?

Originally posted by rbell2915:
I ripped out the aftermarket head unit in my Fiero and installed a Firebird one in order to appear more stock.

I did something similar in my Formula - I went with a late 90's Monsoon head unit out of a Firebird so it would look stock. That added CD capability over a tape deck.
I want to check into this next:
http://replacementradios.co...dp-pxhgm1-p-829.html

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah are they RW re-writable disks? Alot of players wont play those.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DanDamage:

as pat said, check around on other CD player units to see if they work.

Could be your CD player in the car has a problem with that brand of CD or even the way your CDs are written or all CDRs in general.

I was thinking along these lines plus wondering if you had tried another burner or computer and see what happens. I ran into this problem a few years back and had some cd's that would play in one vehicle but not another. Don't remember exactly what I did though to solve things. Been a few years.

Kevin
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Helping out the OP here (I think)

-Music was put on a CD-R (not RW)

-Burned using Media Player

-CD's played at first, did skip a little

-Now CD's won't play at all
Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely sounds like the unit is not compatible with cd-r's. I have experienced this with a lot of older factory cd players. I found it was kind of hit and miss if they would play but I tended to have more success if I put fewer songs on the cd. Instead of filling the whole thing up with 18-20 songs or whatever, if I only put 10 or so it seemed to work more repeatably. Also, I found it worked more often if I put the cd in and just let it play from start to finish. Once I started skipping tracks or fast forwarding it seemed to start throwing errors.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I burned a few of my albums from iTunes onto CD-rs

The majority of the CDs were completely scratch-free...

Originally posted by fastblack:

Helping out the OP here (I think)

-Music was put on a CD-R (not RW)

How much ya wanna bet that he used CD-RW discs?

The "majority" of CD-R discs wouldn't have been "scratch-free". All of them would've been. I'm pretty sure that "CD-rs" was a typo.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-29-2014).]

fastblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The "majority" CD-R discs wouldn't have been "scratch-free". All of them would've been. I'm pretty sure that "CD-rs" was a typo.

Good point.
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The "majority" CD-R discs wouldn't have been "scratch-free". All of them would've been. I'm pretty sure that "CD-rs" was a typo.

Oh, I actually meant "CD-Rs." Sorry I tried to use the plural form, but I forgot to capitalize the r. I am not using CD-RW discs.

The CD I used in this photo didn't play, and gave me the described error.

The same exact CD before, but now in my dad's Firebird. It plays flawlessly.
I'm assuming now that I did burn the CDs correctly.
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rbell2915

1435 posts
Member since Mar 2013

Originally posted by 2.5:

Yeah are they RW re-writable disks? Alot of players wont play those.

No, they are not RW disks.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any music I burn to play in the cars, I record on CD-Rs as MP3s. They all play in every car ive had a CD player in. They even work fine in my DVD players.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 04-29-2014).]

TK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's possible the laser is just getting weak. CD-Rs don't return as much signal as mass-produced CDs. The amplifier might be at max. You might try cleaning the laser/pickup optics. Maybe it has some dust or film.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 04-29-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

It's possible the laser is just getting weak. CD-Rs don't return as much signal as mass-produced CDs. The amplifier might be at max. You might try cleaning the laser/pickup optics. Maybe it has some dust or film.

How do I clean the laser? I have heard that RadioShack sells a cleaner CD of some sort.
If it's still bad, I do happen to have a spare CD drive for the head unit that I can replace sometime later.
TK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How do I clean the laser? I have heard that RadioShack sells a cleaner CD of some sort.
If it's still bad, I do happen to have a spare CD drive for the head unit that I can replace sometime later.

Short of opening it up and doing it directly with some 91%+ isopropol alcohol (the 70% stuff has too much water. Any pharmacy has it) they sell CDs that have brush on them to sweep away anything. I've never used one so I don't know how they work or if they will get hung up in the mechanism. Maybe someone has seen something newer and better. Some lasers are the wrong frequency for CD-Rs too. They sort of work but not real well. You just don't know unless the manual says they are supported.

I would try cleaning the optics and see if it helps. If you have a mechanism to swap, that would be next. I've run into some of the Pontiac players we would swap that just didn't like CD-Rs. You might do a search and see if anyone has narrowed down a brand that doesn't give the optics fits.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh, I actually meant "CD-Rs." Sorry I tried to use the plural form, but I forgot to capitalize the r. I am not using CD-RW discs.

Lucky for me fastblack didn't take me up on the bet.

I still don't understand though why brand new CD-R discs wouldn't have all been "scratch-free".

The "majority" of CD-R discs wouldn't have been "scratch-free". All of them would've been. I'm pretty sure that "CD-rs" was a typo.

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Play awhile then doesn't play... Reduce laser power, focus problems, etc. when device is warm/hot is very common problem especially when dealing with old devices. Old GM units have a long history of problems too... old caps, iffy solder joints, and more.

Clearing player may help but Do want I said above. Many problems are fix just by reducing record speed.
Why? High speed burn reduces burn time for each bit of data, resulting in low contrast like a picture w/ under develop problems. Slow burn lets burn laser work on each bit to give better contrast. Many will bump up laser power for fast speed but often does not help much.

Fast burn/read affects many things. Disk can warp and wobble more and more the faster you spin them. (Disk can actually break when spin too fast.) Is why you see many people burn at 2-8x max. Slower record speeds get the best compatibility for both CD DVD and likely even Blu-ray recordable disc. (Will ignore the fact you're often dealing with DVD+R DVD-R etc. on top of burning speed.)

Can help by changing media. Cheap media is cheap for a reason.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-29-2014).]

rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I still don't understand though why brand new CD-R discs wouldn't have all been "scratch-free".

I just grabbed a few blank CD-Rs from the container that they came in. They are a few years old though. I do suppose they must've gotten scratched a little by accident. Not enough to actually affect it playing though. These are not brand new, if that's what you're after.

Originally posted by theogre:

Clearing player may help but Do want I said above. Many problems are fix just by reducing record speed.
Why? High speed burn reduces burn time for each bit of data, resulting in low contrast like a picture w/ under develop problems. Slow burn lets burn laser work on each bit to give better contrast. Many will bump up laser power for fast speed but often does not help much.

Fast burn/read affects many things. Disk can warp and wobble more and more the faster you spin them. (Disk can actually break when spin too fast.) Is why you see many people burn at 2-8x max. Slower record speeds get the best compatibility for both CD DVD and likely even Blu-ray recordable disc. (Will ignore the fact you're often dealing with DVD+R DVD-R etc. on top of burning speed.)

This makes complete sense. So in essence, the computer is being rushed to finish the burn, so it gets a little sloppy. I will try to slow the burning speed down and I'll get back to everyone with the results
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rbell2915

1435 posts
Member since Mar 2013
Burned a new CD-R, checked to make sure it was scratch-free.
I burned it on the slowest setting (The only options were fastest, fast, medium, and slow).
I put in the newly burned disk into the head unit and I got the E20 error more often than not.
When it didn't show the error, the tracks played nicely, but the head unit was slow to switch tracks when I pressed Up or Down on the Seek button.

Time to clean the laser/tear it apart?
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Time to clean the laser/tear it apart?

You are probably not going to believe this, as I had little hope of this doing anything, but I used one of these to clean my unit in my '07 Chrysler Town and Country when the Navigation disk would not play.

http://www.amazon.com/Memor...s=memorex+cd+cleaner

It worked every time! Now I do think my problem came from dust from living on a gravel road, but I was surprised it worked. Has little brushes on the disk to clean the lens and has a voice telling you what it is doing while it is doing it. Did not take to long to do the "cleaning" either.

Kevin

[This message has been edited by Lambo nut (edited 04-29-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just grabbed a few blank CD-Rs from the container that they came in. They are a few years old though. I do suppose they must've gotten scratched a little by accident. Not enough to actually affect it playing though. These are not brand new, if that's what you're after.

I wasn't "after" anything. I just thought it odd that an unburned CD-R disc would have any scratches on it (which led me to believe they must've been used CD-RW discs that you erased and re-wrote).

I have a couple spools of old unburned CD-R and DVD-R discs, and for all intents and purposes they look brand new... no scratches.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:
You are probably not going to believe this, as I had little hope of this doing anything, but I used one of these to clean my unit in my '07 Chrysler Town and Country when the Navigation disk would not play.

http://www.amazon.com/Memor...s=memorex+cd+cleaner

Is worth trying that before tearing apart. Local stores often have them.

Try different media too. Many formulas to make them and many prayers and burners like some but not all kinds. Your burner might not really like the media you have now and player have trouble reading final disk. Try finding a few CDs for archive use. Good Archive CDs use better dyes and reflective layers.

Problem is laser isn't simple to clean beyond lens cleaner. Is very easy to damage the lens mirrors etc when wrong chemicals are used, including wrong types of canned air. Some canned air says safe for camera lenses for good reason.
Worse many types of trash can contaminate laser assm. Many car units expose to "Dirt" that can attack or stick to laser parts. Example: Any type of Smoke can do permanent damage to the laser assm. You clean but smoke can change colors or eat thru coating on lenses and other parts.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-30-2014).]

Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 05:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Follow theOgre's advice.

When I used to run homebrew and copy discs for a modified Xbox 360, we had to use a specific brand of DVD (Verbatim) and burn as slow as 1X... I know in your case it is a CD but the concept is the same. I see you were using HP CD-R. I have never had much luck with HP media..

So before taking your deck apart, try a "test" CD using a renowned brand such as Verbatim CD-R at 1X speed and see how your head unit handles it.

Cheers!
PFF
System Bot
fastblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I understand wanting to fix something instead of buying another but those CD players usually go pretty cheap in junk yards around here...more often than not under $50.

Just my $.02
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Purple86GT:
I see you were using HP CD-R. I have never had much luck with HP media..

I've seen many use HP media with various problems.
HP on label...
Find real maker use Nero Info Tool.
Example HP label DVD+R is made by CMC Magnetics (Tool reports Manufacturer ID: CMC Mag xx xx) (also makes Philips label media.)
Quick google search, CMC Mag, show problems for different reasons on several types.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I personnally wont by anything with HP on the label. For DVDs and CDs, I usually buy Sony, Phillips or Memorex. Ive gotten bad brand new discs quite a few times. Id burn something and it wouldnt take, threw the disc away and put in another that worked fine.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock