Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Looking into 3d printing, checking out software, what do you use ?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Looking into 3d printing, checking out software, what do you use ? by CoolBlue87GT
Started on: 04-27-2014 09:40 PM
Replies: 4 (128 views)
Last post by: TheDigitalAlchemist on 04-29-2014 11:04 AM
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have been checking into 3d printing, been looking at MakerBot Replicator 2, is Makerware software the only software that can be used ?

Looking for software that I can import Thinkiverse files & create objects from scratch. Wondering what those with 3d printers are using.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We use slic3r.

It's got its quirks, but it gets the job done. (it takes a stl file and converts it to a gcode file)

The Makerbots are great machines, my son and I recently built a Kossel Mini. (search OT for "kossel"

We've only done a few prints, but it's been great!

The newer Makerbots require less "tinkering", but are solid machines.

A friend and I are going to do a print-off - his Makerbot vs our Kossel.

We'll post it here in OT...
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TheDigitalAlchemist

12453 posts
Member since Jan 2012
Most Makerbots can print from ssd card, so the file could theoretically be edited using a few different apps. The newer ones use a proprietary file format, though(i think?)

Our Kossel is connected to a laptop. It currently can't print using an ssd.
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

We use slic3r.

It's got its quirks, but it gets the job done. (it takes a stl file and converts it to a gcode file)

Thanks, I downloaded it, having a little trouble understanding how to import files to it. Any pointers ?
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

Thanks, I downloaded it, having a little trouble understanding how to import files to it. Any pointers ?

In slic3r, You open the stl file. Then change the scale and other settings, then export to gcode.

The slic3r site is informative

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock