Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Watch Helicopter Pilot Chuck Aaron Bend Physics!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Watch Helicopter Pilot Chuck Aaron Bend Physics! by Boondawg
Started on: 04-25-2014 09:45 PM
Replies: 8 (194 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 04-26-2014 08:47 AM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post04-25-2014 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunatly, he'll probably be dead in the near future. Unless he has a mechanic that rebuilds that helicopter like a dragster that gets torn down and rebuilt after each race, it's a matter of time before something major fails. That or he will cause mast bumping from too sudden maneuvers.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sweet! made me dizzy watching it tho lol.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Unfortunatly, he'll probably be dead in the near future. Unless he has a mechanic that rebuilds that helicopter like a dragster that gets torn down and rebuilt after each race, it's a matter of time before something major fails.

That could be anything.
Helicopters have no minor parts.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Impressive! A nice, brief homage to Bob Hoover is embedded in there, too.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 04-26-2014).]

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not that impressive. The rotor keeps the helo in the air by pulling it "up" (relative to the body of the helo). It doesn't matter what "up" is as long as "up" ends up truely "up" before he hit's the ground. Making a loop (which has been done a million times) just means that as he goes vertical, the rotors are pulling the helo "up" (even though it looks backwards to us). For the instant he's upside down, the rotors are still pulling him "up", etc. With a powerful enough helo, he could conceivably pull loops over and over until he got bored. Fixed wing aircraft can safely fly backwards, too. (Not talking about VTOL like the Harrier.) Go vertical, throttle down, stall, plane goes backwards. Nose down, power on, plane takes off again. Voila. Again, not a big deal (although I probably wouldn't try it with a 747).
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Not that impressive. The rotor keeps the helo in the air by pulling it "up" (relative to the body of the helo). It doesn't matter what "up" is as long as "up" ends up truely "up" before he hit's the ground. Making a loop (which has been done a million times) just means that as he goes vertical, the rotors are pulling the helo "up" (even though it looks backwards to us). For the instant he's upside down, the rotors are still pulling him "up", etc. With a powerful enough helo, he could conceivably pull loops over and over until he got bored. Fixed wing aircraft can safely fly backwards, too. (Not talking about VTOL like the Harrier.) Go vertical, throttle down, stall, plane goes backwards. Nose down, power on, plane takes off again. Voila. Again, not a big deal (although I probably wouldn't try it with a 747).

Sir,
If I may, it's pretty apparent that you are not qualified to discuss 1) helicopter aerodynamics and 2) lack a basic understanding of helicopter structural and mechanical components. I spent about a year in rotary winged flight school and left there with limited knowledge and a ticket to go out and learn. I don't mean to flame you but, to be honest, you know not of what you speak. I don't have the time, energy or desire to go into all the details but, I'll just say, your conclusions are not correct.

------------------
Ron
Count Down to A Better America: http://countingdownto.com/countdown/196044
Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Unfortunatly, he'll probably be dead in the near future.

Yeah, me too.

In fact, no one gets out alive.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seems he is 1 of only 3 helo pilots in the world certified to do this in the only helo certified to do these stunts in.

talk about an adrenalin junky, I thought my riding my cow 900 over 100 MPH was harry, that's just insane.

http://rotornation.com/chuck-aaron/

Where did it all start? “I was challenged by the owner of Red Bull asking me if I could do aerobatics with a helicopter and I told him no, we cannot do that”, remembers Chuck. However, after thinking about it for a couple weeks, he came to the conclusion that with a modified helicopter, he could do it. He bought two helicopters and worked on them for over a year to make modifications that would allow him to do aerobatics with them. Even though the modifications are kept a secret, Chuck explains that the center of gravity was changed on the aircraft and it was made stronger, yet very light. There was a team of engineers working on the project and at the end, they could not think of one reason why the helicopter could not perform a backflip. At this point, it was “just a matter of convincing the pilot to do it”, Chuck acknowledges. - See more at: http://rotornation.com/chuc...sthash.PABQn7XX.dpuf

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 04-26-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock