Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Home remedy for fire ant genocide? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Home remedy for fire ant genocide? by Loki
Started on: 04-23-2014 03:07 PM
Replies: 45 (702 views)
Last post by: Loki on 04-27-2014 10:07 PM
Loki

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tried a home solution and it kill them dead?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
make them listen to some of the new music out today..........
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Diatomaceous Earth is supposed to do the trick, tho it isn't as fast as Orthene. It (DE) needs to be applied on days with low humidity. You can buy DE at places like Lowes, a garden center, or Tractor Supply.

http://www.malcolmbeck.com/...atomaceous-earth.htm

Other than that, late in the evening, one measuring cup of gasoline poured into the mound opening right before dark or right after dark when most of the ants are in the mound and not out foraging. It will kill any grass that is growing if you allow it to go outside the mound itself. If you can, place a 5 gal pucket over the mound after you put the gas on it--it's the fumes that does the killing and the bucket will contain the fumes to the mound area itself.

I prefer Orthene. It smells to high heaven, with a necrotic (rotten meat) type odor, but it works.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-23-2014).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

make them listen to some of the new music out today..........

Yeah folky poppy garbage.
Loki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amdro was stupid. I will try Orthene. Tried a mix of baking soda and vinager. Seemed to work ok, just not enough death.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could pour molten aluminum down the ant hole, but youd have to have molten aluminum first Then youd have aluminum in your yard too. But anyway...

http://www.theblaze.com/sto...l-stirs-controversy/

FlyinFieros

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
User Banned

Report this Post04-23-2014 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyinFierosSend a Private Message to FlyinFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are they actually fire ants or are they harvester ants?

RIFA are invasive and should be killed off. Harvester ants are a native beneficial species. Both species can be killed off by pouring boiling water down the nest. I do not suggest the use of chemicals unless necessary. Pesticides are blamed for the decline of the horny toad, which eats harvester ants.
Loki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fire ants. Always a problem in Texas.

[This message has been edited by Loki (edited 04-23-2014).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty easy to distinguish fire ants from all others. They are about the only ant that cannot crawl across any living flesh and not sting it.
It's just what they do.
Harvester ants are almost always larger than fire ants and build a different kind of mound when on open ground than the fire ants do.

The active ingredient in Orthene is acephate. You can get it in a generic form and save about $1/can.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My sister has them on her ranch in Dallas. Shes been trying to get rid of them for 10 years with no luck from anyone. They even get into her house outside power box and short it out.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From Jerry Baker's book of home remedies.

1/4 cup liquid hand soap to 1 gallon of water.
pour solution on the mound. Repeat about 1 hour later to be sure it penetrates the inner queen's chamber.

1/2 cup honey
3/8 cup bakers yeast
3/8 cup sugar
Mix in a bowl and put in their pathway. The ants will flock to the sweet taste. The yeast kills them.

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Common problem-they also love to inhabit the pressure control switch on water wells. (looks and works like an air compressor switch) Causes an arc, and the contacts then pit or weld together.
They are a pita. The fix for that, is to put one of these little jewels inside the cover:

Livestock ear tag that contains time release insecticide. I keep one in each of my outside electric boxes. A/C condensor, water well pressure switch, Septic system controller, shop disconnect box, outside lighting switch box. They last about 8 months each in a closed environment, but it beats having to go clean out the fried ants and changing the controller.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69626 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Originally posted by fierofool:

pour solution on the mound. Repeat about 1 hour later to be sure it penetrates the inner queen's chamber.

1/2 cup honey
3/8 cup bakers yeast
3/8 cup sugar
Mix in a bowl and put in their pathway. The ants will flock to the sweet taste. The yeast kills them.

Is that the same talk-to-your-plants--infomercial garden weasel Jerry Baker that has been called a gardening quack and got rich doing it?
(BTW--fire ants don't go after sugar or sweet smells)

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, ill pass those along to her.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Diatomaceous Earth is supposed to do the trick, tho it isn't as fast as Orthene. It (DE) needs to be applied on days with low humidity. You can buy DE at places like Lowes, a garden center, or Tractor Supply.
<snip>

This is some crazy stuff. It has edges like razors on a microscopic level. It scratches the waxy coating on the exoskeleton and the exoskeleton itself, and then acts like a desiccant and dehydrates them. I put some in a trash bag once with several fleas and a deer tick. It took 2 days, but it killed everything in the bag deader'n hell. I have a couple of pounds on hand all the time. Need to see if it'll work on chiggers this year.

It's also completely organic. My mom takes a tablespoonful every day for health benefits, it kills off intestinal parasites among other things.
Loki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a 50lbs bag of DE back home (I think). Basically powdered sea shells. ****s up insects of all shapes and sizes.
carnut122

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Other than that, late in the evening, one measuring cup of gasoline poured into the mound opening right before dark or right after dark when most of the ants are in the mound and not out foraging. It will kill any grass that is growing if you allow it to go outside the mound itself. If you can, place a 5 gal pucket over the mound after you put the gas on it--it's the fumes that does the killing and the bucket will contain the fumes to the mound area itself.

I've tried everything and gasoline ends up being the most effective. Personally, I like to sir up the nest and then pour it on.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Loki:

Amdro was stupid.

Amdro has always worked for me. I just have to be patient because it takes a while to do its work. It could get expensive for any yard bigger than your average suburban lot however.

ymmv
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is that the same talk-to-your-plants--infomercial garden weasel Jerry Baker that has been called a gardening quack and got rich doing it?
(BTW--fire ants don't go after sugar or sweet smells)

I don't know about all the accolades, but he was doing some kind of public broadcast channel stuff for a while. All kinds of home remedy stuff. There were some other solutions for fire ants, too. I just didn't post them. The two were fairly simple ones that are supposed to kill the ants. The others were deterrents, like sprinkling talcum powder around the mound or using various tapes or crushed mint. Most were to keep them out of the living quarters, not to rid the yard.

Spearmint planted around the area will keep many insect including ants away. Problem is that once established, it spreads easily and to rid the area, you almost have to dig up the earth and haul it away. Experience speaking, here.

Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Got a 50lbs bag of DE back home (I think). Basically powdered sea shells. ****s up insects of all shapes and sizes.

Actually, it's not sea shells. It's the exoskeleton of microscopic organisms called diatoms, and is almost pure silica. Apparently there's some dried up lakes where those organisms thrived for millennia, and now they cultivate those skeletons, then bleach 'em and grind them up to make DE.

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

Actually, it's not sea shells. It's the exoskeleton of microscopic organisms called diatoms, and is almost pure silica. Apparently there's some dried up lakes where those organisms thrived for millennia, and now they cultivate those skeletons, then bleach 'em and grind them up to make DE.

It's a great medium for swimming pool filters too.
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

Amdro has always worked for me. I just have to be patient because it takes a while to do its work. It could get expensive for any yard bigger than your average suburban lot however.

ymmv

All I or my family ever saw Amdro do was make the whole colony pick up and move about 10 ft over and build a new mound.
I guess if I repeated this often enough, I could make them move off my property but I would be in the poorhouse before I moved them that far.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 06:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you can, place a 5 gal pucket over the mound after you put the gas on it--

Please advise on where I can pick up a pucket.

------------------
Ron
Count Down to A Better America: http://countingdownto.com/countdown/196044
Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Probably nearest to you would be Nantucket.
Joseph

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JosephSend a Private Message to JosephEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Artificial sweeteners like Aspartame and Neotame

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

This is some crazy stuff. It has edges like razors on a microscopic level. It scratches the waxy coating on the exoskeleton and the exoskeleton itself, and then acts like a desiccant and dehydrates them.

My mom takes a tablespoonful every day for health benefits, it kills off intestinal parasites among other things.

Didnt expect that, so it doesnt harm any human organs?
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

It's a great medium for swimming pool filters too.

Yeah, but pool grade has a lot of added chemicals.

Originally posted by 2.5:

Didnt expect that, so it doesnt harm any human organs?

Nope, not at all. Supposedly it has many health benefits, including helping with cholesterol and removing plaque from the bloodstream, although I don't know that that claim is medically confirmed. But no, it's completely harmless to humans for consumption.
Loki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't see how you could choke down a spoon full. Reminds me of the cinnamon challenge.
Loki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Loki

8453 posts
Member since Mar 2000
Also, she using the DE you get from a feed store, of the food grade variety? Like this one, which is safe for human consumtion
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

1/2 cup honey
3/8 cup bakers yeast
3/8 cup sugar

Ive read about a simular remidy.
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup boric acid (Ingrediant in Laundry soap).

Pour boiling water down the nest
Pour lime on the ant hills.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Union Gap, Washington State.
Ask for Gary.

PFF
System Bot
Loki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The liquid soap and water mix sure is doing a better job than Amdro. I think they used that as food last season.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Liquid soap and water I think just covers them with a film so they cant breathe. They recommend that to spray on bugs on plants as well.
ranger stone

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-24-2014 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ranger stoneSend a Private Message to ranger stoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the best easy cure is to place a shovel full of one hive 2 on hive 1 & also place a shovel full of hive1 on hive 2
& they will fight it out some times it takes 2 transfers,, let the ants warm over the shovel blade,just keep them from going up the handle if you have to cover any distance
good to watch them go crazy & mix it up ,but I am fascinated by mortal combat to the death !!
no chemicals needed

Rangers lead the way
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Probably nearest to you would be Nantucket.

Union Gap, Washington State.
Ask for Gary.

Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't see how you could choke down a spoon full. Reminds me of the cinnamon challenge.

Mix it with water, juice, almond/soy milk, etc. And yeah, food grade. The other stuff may have additives, or not be prepped in a sanitary environment.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So is food grade DE needed to kill ants or will the pool filter grade work?
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ant genocide?

Wouldn't that be technically insecticide?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

So is food grade DE needed to kill ants or will the pool filter grade work?

There are several grades--among them are:
Food grade (for humans)
Feed grade (for livestock and pets.
Pool or filter grade.

The difference here lies with the way that each type of DE is treated. Pool grade DE is calcinated, meaning that is treated with very high heat. This turns the silicon dioxide that is present in the DE into crystalline silica. Pool grade DE has a pretty high (up to 60%) concentration of crystalline silica and should never be used for anything other than a filtering agent. Pool filter grade diatomaceous earth has been heated and chemically treated. It will poison an animal or human who
ingests it, so it is always of utmost importance to only obtain food grade diatomaceous earth to use in and around your household, and use feed grade outside.

Feed grade or Agriculture grade DE is not considered by the FDA to be pure enough for human consumption. Feed grade can and does have concentrations of heavy metals and arsenic. To be considered Food Grade, the DE must not contain more than 10mg/kg of arsenic and no more than 10mg/kg of lead.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

Ant genocide?

Wouldn't that be technically insecticide?

Only in Genoa.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock