Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  China overtaking U.S. in another field: Exporting boorish and dislikable tourists

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
China overtaking U.S. in another field: Exporting boorish and dislikable tourists by rinselberg
Started on: 04-15-2014 04:00 PM
Replies: 7 (197 views)
Last post by: theBDub on 04-16-2014 12:16 PM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or so says this brief column from The Associated Press, reproduced on NBC News:

"Trouble in Thailand: Chinese Tourists Gaining 'Ugly' Reputation"
http://www.nbcnews.com/busi...ly-reputation-n81086

The content and opinions of this report are attributable specifically to The Associated Press, and do not necessarily reflect the conclusions of rinselberg.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Marvin McInnis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lack of sensitivity to the cultural values of different peoples is a human trait that knows no borders. The antidotes are knowledge, understanding, and empathy. Every culture has its own version of the Golden Rule, and that's always a good starting point.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 04-15-2014).]

frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boorish and dislikable are unfortunately common traits of people with money...in this case, money enough to travel.

Doesn't matter what nationality.

But get used to it. Because China has more than 1 1/2 billion people, so they say. As more of them get wealth, they would certainly want to travel and see more of the world.
DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"The survey and numerous comments on Thai social media blamed Chinese for spitting, littering, cutting into lines, flouting traffic laws and allowing their children to relieve themselves in public pools."

I witness the above "normal" behavior every day. The only difference is when momma pulls a baby's pants down and let them pee on the sidewalk right where you are walking. It just amazes me how 1.4 billion people act with complete disregard for each other. To an outsider it appears each one acts as if they are more important than everyone else. Really eye opening, even jaw dropping at times.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

"The survey and numerous comments on Thai social media blamed Chinese for spitting, littering, cutting into lines, flouting traffic laws and allowing their children to relieve themselves in public pools."

I witness the above "normal" behavior every day. The only difference is when momma pulls a baby's pants down and let them pee on the sidewalk right where you are walking. It just amazes me how 1.4 billion people act with complete disregard for each other. To an outsider it appears each one acts as if they are more important than everyone else. Really eye opening, even jaw dropping at times.

Pee? I've seen Chinese kids pooping on the sidewalk.

The spitting in China is obnoxious and disgusting. Every restaurant there is at least one hacking up huge loogies and spitting them somewhere the entire time you're trying to talk and eat.

I eventually got used to it and realized they don't find it as disgusting as I do. But they really need to work on their driving and street pooping. I couldn't believe the first time I saw a kid drop his pants on the sidewalk and lay down a turd.
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

It just amazes me how 1.4 billion people act with complete disregard for each other. To an outsider it appears each one acts

I always find it interesting what bothers certain people, or more in this case, what doesn't bother certain people.

"Oh, my spitting up large gobs of phlegm bothers you? I would have never thought of that. " Well, apparently it didn't bother 1.4 billiion people, so I just didn't think it would bother you either.

"Oh, my peeing or pooping on a public sidewalk bothers you? I would have never thought of that." Because 1.4 billion other people didn't care, so I just assumed you wouldn't.
On the other hand, littering, cutting into lines, flouting traffic laws. Yeah, that is pretty universal across cultures that you are just putting yourself first at the expense of other people.
Here is a "normal" for me. I was in a restaurant with my wife and one of my daughters about a month ago and the tables were pretty close. I was talking about some, to others, gross medical stuff that had happened that day. My wife is a nurse, so she doesn't even consider it gross. I don't either. It is just a fact of my daily life. My daughter is used to it now, and so it isn't gross to her. After about a minute, I noticed in my peripheral vision that one of the people at the next table was looking over. Oops. I wasn't even thinking about it. What was culturally not even an issue for me was making me be rude or boorish to someone else who had a different life experience of "normal". So I immediately changed the subject.

Just an example that people's "normal" isn't the same definition, by culture, life experience, etc.

Hence the "when in Rome" mentality. Be respectful of people and know a little bit about where you are, and what their acceptable norms are and don't uncaringly express your normals when visiting them.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by frontal lobe:

I always find it interesting what bothers certain people, or more in this case, what doesn't bother certain people.

"Oh, my spitting up large gobs of phlegm bothers you? I would have never thought of that. " Well, apparently it didn't bother 1.4 billiion people, so I just didn't think it would bother you either.

"Oh, my peeing or pooping on a public sidewalk bothers you? I would have never thought of that." Because 1.4 billion other people didn't care, so I just assumed you wouldn't.
On the other hand, littering, cutting into lines, flouting traffic laws. Yeah, that is pretty universal across cultures that you are just putting yourself first at the expense of other people.
Here is a "normal" for me. I was in a restaurant with my wife and one of my daughters about a month ago and the tables were pretty close. I was talking about some, to others, gross medical stuff that had happened that day. My wife is a nurse, so she doesn't even consider it gross. I don't either. It is just a fact of my daily life. My daughter is used to it now, and so it isn't gross to her. After about a minute, I noticed in my peripheral vision that one of the people at the next table was looking over. Oops. I wasn't even thinking about it. What was culturally not even an issue for me was making me be rude or boorish to someone else who had a different life experience of "normal". So I immediately changed the subject.

Just an example that people's "normal" isn't the same definition, by culture, life experience, etc.

Hence the "when in Rome" mentality. Be respectful of people and know a little bit about where you are, and what their acceptable norms are and don't uncaringly express your normals when visiting them.

It's one thing if they'd pick it up. But I continuously saw kids pooping and the parents would just wait for the kid to be done and then walk off without so much as a second glance.

I can understand cultural differences. But that's the sidewalk. And China's way overcrowded in the cities as it is. It's just inconsiderate.

But I see what you're saying. I find the loogies to be the most disgusting thing they do, because they do it everywhere and I hate the sound when I'm eating. Actually I hate pretty much any bodily noise when it happens over and over (clicking tongue with teeth, clearing throats, sniffling, you name it). But I get that it's mostly just me, so I don't make a thing out of it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock