Started on: 04-10-2014 05:45 PM
Replies: 21 (288 views)
Last post by: ILVMYGT on 04-12-2014 12:51 PM
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.autoblog.com/201...edlinkusauto00000016

The company is recalling 2.19 million of the same Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR, Saturn Ion, Sky, Pontiac G5 and Solstice models to fix a problem that allows keys to be removed from ignitions that are not in the "off" position.

In at least one case, a vehicle rolled away in a parking lot and resulted in a crash and injury, according to GM, which said it is aware of "several hundred" complaints about keys coming out of ignitions. The company will fix the ignition lock cylinders to prevent the problem.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Their Stock didn't get hammered as much as I thought it would today:

http://www.dividend.com/new...on-charge-for-q1-gm/

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think its actually another recall, I think its the same problem they are just calling it something different.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

I don't think its actually another recall, I think its the same problem they are just calling it something different.

Steve

Yep, I think that's the case.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can they include my sons Fiero. I can pull the keys out when the key is in the on position.

Jim
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

Can they include my sons Fiero. I can pull the keys out when the key is in the on position.

Jim

I actually used to like being able to do that when I lived in the city and would warm my car up on cold winter mornings. What is peoples problems with that?

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 04-10-2014).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

Jim

I had an 84 SE I could do that with.
I haven't tried it with the Indys.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I had an 84 SE I could do that with.
I haven't tried it with the Indys.

it is just a matter of how the key is cut, if the tip of the key has a high point, higher than the rest of the key cuts it should just stay in on its own. if the cuts on the tip work their way up it may not stay in on its own. just look at how your key cuts look and you will see what I am talking about.

if it does fall out you can have a locksmith rekey the ignition cylinder so that it won't, simple if you just take it out of the column and bring it to him, more expensive if he has to take the ignition cylinder out.

look at the first keys on this page, they should pull right out without any trouble, the keys below them are cut so that they should stay in, notice the depth of the cuts. the pins set down into those cuts and once the key is turned the key is locked in place so to speak because of the way the lock pins stay in place once you turn the key.

http://www.camaros.org/keysandlocks.shtml

lots of info about locks and keys on that page.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 04-10-2014).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

it is just a matter of how the key is cut, if the tip of the key has a high point, higher than the rest of the key cuts it should just stay in on its own. if the cuts on the tip work their way up it may not stay in on its own. just look at how your key cuts look and you will see what I am talking about.

This also happens when the key or lock are worn out too.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like they just expanded it. My '11 HHR is now part of the recall. I am guessing since they didn't change part numbers, they are widen the time frame to catch them all.

Funny, I had my ignition lock go bad twice in my Aztek. Once, the key wouldn't go in and a second time, where the key wouldn't come out. That was the better situation, as you can remove the lock easily, with the key in there. I pulled the tumblers and used it this way until I could a replacement. BTW, it was one little tumbler spring that was causing the problem, in my case.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Late 50s GMs had an ignition switch designed to have the key removable. Once unlocked, you could take the key out and still drive it. It still turned off, or could be restarted by just turning the switch. You had to insert the key and turn it to lock to lock out the feature.
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Sounds like they just expanded it. My '11 HHR is now part of the recall. I am guessing since they didn't change part numbers, they are widen the time frame to catch them all.

Funny, I had my ignition lock go bad twice in my Aztek. Once, the key wouldn't go in and a second time, where the key wouldn't come out. That was the better situation, as you can remove the lock easily, with the key in there. I pulled the tumblers and used it this way until I could a replacement. BTW, it was one little tumbler spring that was causing the problem, in my case.

ya the pin springs get week but most of the time if you have ever taken a ignition lock apart you will see how the work and how once the pins wear the keys will not work sometimes requiring the lock replacement. reads some of the links inside the link I posted and you will see what I am talking about.

Steve
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ya the pin springs get week but most of the time if you have ever taken a ignition lock apart you will see how the work and how once the pins wear the keys will not work sometimes requiring the lock replacement. reads some of the links inside the link I posted and you will see what I am talking about.

Steve

In my case, the cover that held the springs in place was ajar and the springs were poking out.... jamming the lock. Poor design.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bad engineering....or engineer....
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I played with my 2008 HHR SS key and no amount of weight or tugging down would switch it to the accessory position but looking at it in the run position, it's pointing to 1 o'clock. If it was going to move, it would be to the 12 o'clock position (straight up.) Run should be 12 o'clock so weight would just keep it there.

But again, I couldn't do anything to make it want to move backwards to the accessories position short of just turning it. I did read that the SS has a different (newer?) switch so I don't know.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mary Barra Lied to Congress about having no knowledge of Ignition Switch Issue, they now have GM email proof that she was emailed on issue quite a while ago.

http://www.zerohedge.com/ne...ng-problem-years-ago

This isn't going to set well with either Congress or NHTSA, appears GM did not react to issue due to cost to fix, and that Engineers were directed by Management to follow Managements decisions regarding the ignition switch. It's going to be interesting to hear her explanation on this one, there could be a lot more to this issue. I know first hand that email traffic can be overwhelming at GM, I would usually get 5,000 emails a month to sort through determining which needed action/response, she shouldn't have and probably didn't ignore the email she received on this issue.

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 04-12-2014).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Late 50s GMs had an ignition switch designed to have the key removable. Once unlocked, you could take the key out and still drive it. It still turned off, or could be restarted by just turning the switch. You had to insert the key and turn it to lock to lock out the feature.

IIRC, that continued into the early 60s. My F-I-L had his 60 something Chevy stolen because of it. We heard the car start one night, and he and I chased the car and thief down. He had stopped at a redlight, we pulled up beside him and I jumped out the passenger side and jerked his door open and pulled him out before he could take off. F-I-L beat the living crap out of him. Cops got there, and never said a word about the guy being in less than perfect condition. Early to mid 70s. Memphis Tenn.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69649 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Originally posted by California Kid:

Their Stock didn't get hammered as much as I thought it would today:

http://www.dividend.com/new...on-charge-for-q1-gm/

Traded below ipo price yesterday (friday)

Year to date: -21.87%, with 23.7% drop since their high in December.

Turmoil surrounding General Motors pushed down its closing share price Friday below $32, first time since June 28 last year the shares have closed below the IPO price of $33.

The stock topped recently at $41.85 Dec. 17, after the federal government sold its remaining stake in GM. The closing price of $31.93 Friday is a 23.7% drop since then.

While markets were down roughly 1% Friday, GM shares fell 4.1%.

Xyster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My S10 had this "feature". I liked it.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lol y solstice was going this for a while..... not my problem anymore
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
Early to mid 70s. Memphis Tenn.

Was it Elvis?

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 04-12-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
ILVMYGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

Mary Barra Lied to Congress about having no knowledge of Ignition Switch Issue, they now have GM email proof that she was emailed on issue quite a while ago.

So here is my take on her remembering the email. The email is 2 ½ years old. Just because it was sent to her, did she actually read and respond to it? Was there a back and forth email chain between her? Where I work I get between 100 and 200 emails a day. In her position it could be more. I do not read all my mail or every word in it. In fact all my "copy to" email goes to a separate folder and I may not read it at. In 2 ½ years she could have received between 13000 (100 a day) and 26000 (200 a day) emails not including weekends. To be realistic if someone asked me about something that happened 2 1/2 years ago in an email I would not likely remembered unless it was more than just an email. It would have taken a series of emails that went back and forth or some type of face to face meetings.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock