Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  So yeah, anyone know if this honda civic is a good car?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
So yeah, anyone know if this honda civic is a good car? by Midnight_D
Started on: 04-10-2014 08:52 AM
Replies: 11 (186 views)
Last post by: ls3mach on 04-10-2014 07:13 PM
Midnight_D

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Midnight_DSend a Private Message to Midnight_DEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Basically since i am now 17, and most major financial issues are out of the way, and yes, i am looking at getting a job in the summer, not now due to exams, need all the time i can get for studying. anyway, my dad had this old 1997 honda civic that he has in the front yard that has a busted transmission and a broken steering wheel, other than that, no major issues, but it does need some bodywork and some new upholstery. Anyone think fixing this car up is a good idea? i mean, i know its a reliable car, but do you guys think it will be a good first car until i can get something better?

One last thing, i know the fiero, as i have been told is more of a project car, but would it make a good backup car?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Parts for the honda will be cheap (at a junkyard)... so I would fix it and drive it.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Id look for a running drving car. Depending how long this one sat, and since it deosnt drive now you cant tell what else needs work. But since this is your dads he should know what all it needs.
Broken steering wheel? Thats weird.
Midnight_D

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Midnight_DSend a Private Message to Midnight_DEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Id look for a running drving car. Depending how long this one sat, and since it deosnt drive now you cant tell what else needs work. But since this is your dads he should know what all it needs.
Broken steering wheel? Thats weird.

Yeah, he said he had an issue with it , i dont think it can turn left very well, veers to the right alot, it hasnt been sitting as long as the fiero has, about 1 year tops, and its been shielded from the elements, and we have cleaned it pretty frequently, although i doubt that would help. Ill take a look at it with him later, and i will see about trying to get him on so he can give a better description since he knows a lot more about the car than i do. and yeah, we were thinking of going to the junkyard to see what kind of parts we can get. Thanks for the advice, since spring break is nearly here that will give us a good oppurtunity to check things out.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Parts for the honda will be cheap (at a junkyard)... so I would fix it and drive it.

its a 97 Honda with a busted trany and broken steering wheel, needs body work as well as upholstery work. While that may be minor to someone who knows how to do that work and has the place and tools to do them, to someone who is 17 that may be a lot of work and expense, more than he can handle maybe. we don't know from this thread and I haven't read anything he has posted before so we really don't know what he is capable of. a little more info from him might help.

are you the OP taking auto shop in school now? if so these problems may just be minor at school, but the school year is almost over for you, isn't it?
if that is an option ask your shop teacher about at least having him/her look at it and give their opinion about how much work and money something like this would cost.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I was 17 years old, I rebuilt the engine in the VW Beetle that my neighbor gave to me, so I could drive to school. But then again, I'm a gearhead. I enjoy working on stuff.

But if you're not a gearhead, then fixing that car will be a huge pain in the butt. So basically, the answer depends on where your skills and aptitude lie. If you're a grease-monkey, then go for it. If not, then look for something else.
Midnight_D

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Midnight_DSend a Private Message to Midnight_DEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

its a 97 Honda with a busted trany and broken steering wheel, needs body work as well as upholstery work. While that may be minor to someone who knows how to do that work and has the place and tools to do them, to someone who is 17 that may be a lot of work and expense, more than he can handle maybe. we don't know from this thread and I haven't read anything he has posted before so we really don't know what he is capable of. a little more info from him might help.

are you the OP taking auto shop in school now? if so these problems may just be minor at school, but the school year is almost over for you, isn't it?
if that is an option ask your shop teacher about at least having him/her look at it and give their opinion about how much work and money something like this would cost.

Steve

Yeah, i was honestly gonna take shop, but due to some er, well, im not allowed to technically delve into it due to personal stuff, but the school i had, well i left it (irmo high, currently in 11th at Palmetto State E-cademy) and even then i dont think that irmo had a shop class. but, i actually ever since joining this forum, i have actually had a huge intrest in getting into cars, if that makes sense, becuase the honda civic and fiero are pretty high on my realistic dream car list, and ive always had this thing where if i knew it was broke, i had to fix it, i dont know how to explain it, but its something that i thought that maybe me and my dad could work on, or maybe take it to one of his friends, who has actually worked in a mechanic shop for the past 12 years. But sorry if some of my rambling might seem stupid, its just that i honestly need a car, and i also dont want to waste your guys time.

Edit: I actually went out there myself and tried out the steering wheel, it moved, but it seemed REALLY loose. Also, i have been looking into the prices of a transmission, it seems to be 750,00 for one on google for a 1997 civic, anyone know what it would cost for one from the junkyard

Anyway, is there anything i can do now to help you guys out? i was thinking of taking a few days this coming spring break and researching the car, if it helps at all to see if i can actually contribute something else.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Midnight_D:

..actually ever since joining this forum, i have actually had a huge intrest in getting into cars, if that makes sense, becuase the honda civic and fiero are pretty high on my realistic dream car list, and ive always had this thing where if i knew it was broke, i had to fix it, i dont know how to explain it, but its something that i thought that maybe me and my dad could work on, or maybe take it to one of his friends, who has actually worked in a mechanic shop for the past 12 years. But sorry if some of my rambling might seem stupid, its just that i honestly need a car, and i also dont want to waste your guys time.

Thats cool. Yeah father son projects are great, all you both need is time, and money to get it fixed.

Could be the steering column wrecked in the steering.
Looking at craigslist that car ranges from 800 -3k.
I'd call that mechanic friend and have him estimate cost to fix it.

I looked at Fieros in SC on craigslist too, they want alot more there for pooly maintained ones than it takes to buy a nice one here.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Midnight_D:

. But sorry if some of my rambling might seem stupid, its just that i honestly need a car, and i also dont want to waste your guys time.

Edit: I actually went out there myself and tried out the steering wheel, it moved, but it seemed REALLY loose. Also, i have been looking into the prices of a transmission, it seems to be 750,00 for one on google for a 1997 civic, anyone know what it would cost for one from the junkyard

Anyway, is there anything i can do now to help you guys out? i was thinking of taking a few days this coming spring break and researching the car, if it helps at all to see if i can actually contribute something else.

the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. your a kid, I'm and old timing man, 59 and really don't like imports, but don't let just my opinion stop you from doing something, I also just don't like engineers, but that doesn't mean I won't buy one on here a beer when I see him in person. if you like the car and think you can learn something from working on it and not lose money fixing it go for it. never let anyone tell you something is impossible, prove them wrong and make a fool out of them.

life's short live it like there is no tomorrow, for all you know there might not be one for you, look at that kid who cut up all his classmate in his high school.

one thing I have learned in my life is the only choices you regret are the ones you didn't take a chance one, that goes for women to. I have rebuilt engines, restored cars, loved many women from older to younger by decades, but have regretted very few of the things I have done. I have been with my wife for 30 years, but the ones before her were some of the most fun times I have ever had.

Steve
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My little brother's first car was a 96 Civic DX 2-door, he still has it. The SOHC D16Y7 is fairly reliable, but I don't care for working on it. The problem is, the rest of the car is a POS. All the budget and engineering obviously went into the engine, and the rest of the car was an afterthought. Power steering pump was easy, the return springs on the rear drums are a real PITA, front brakes are easy, struts are easy, tune up is easy, belt replacement is no fun, alternator isn't too bad.

See if you can drive a running one, I don't care for the way they drive at all, and the road noise is terrible. I've driven 87-03 Civics, and they all pretty much feel the same, the newer ones are just a bit bigger and heavier.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've only been to two wakes for ex-students who died in car wrecks. Both were in Honda Civics. Maybe it was just coincidence. If so, it was a very sad coincidence.
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd call the mechanic friend and see if it is worth the money. You can probably get a used one for what it sounds like it will cost to fix. This option also doesn't limit you to a Civic.

EDIT

I meant to say father son projects are cool. Given that you nor your dad don't know anything about working on cars and the fact that you are already of driving age makes this a lot less of a viable option. If you guys had started a few years ago, you'd have a running car and a lifetime of memories and experience. You can still get those, but it likely isn't the same now.

[This message has been edited by ls3mach (edited 04-10-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock