Recalls by tebailey
Started on: 04-09-2014 05:36 PM
Replies: 8 (184 views)
Last post by: bonaduce on 04-11-2014 10:02 AM
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isn't funny how when one manufacturer gets caught covering up a defect, all the other major companies start massive recalls?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

Isn't funny how when one manufacturer gets caught covering up a defect, all the other major companies start massive recalls?

I was thinking the same thing. I guess it's a herd mentality with the view that only a few will end up suffering.
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it's a great way to put a positive spin on a negative. if your competitor gets caught, they look like unethical sleazebags who have run the numbers and concluded that you and your children are worth $x* each. this is a good time to voluntarily recall, because by comparison it looks like you give a dam about customers and the quality of your product.

* x being equal to " not much".

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 04-10-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive heard a lot in past few years how car quality has 'vastly' improved over older cars. Seems to me every day theres a new recall from one brand or another. Sounds more like their building a lot of trash cars to me. Many years ago, they had what they called dealer prep. They had employees at the dealer who personally checked out everything on newly arrived cars before they were offered for sale. Then about 20 years ago, that went away. I worked for some dealers and their attitude had changed to wash it and put it on the lot. If a buyer finds something wrong, we'll fix it then...maybe. Then of course theres still a charge on your invoice for Dealer Prep ? I could have done without a $300 or more car wash.
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it has more to do with the ability to get all the information out faster, 24 hour news, internet, the whole information/connected society today as compared to 20 years ago. To provide an example, customers were calling our service department asking about the Cobalt recall even before GM informed the dealers. The Cruze recall for axles, I saw it online (I think actually on this forum) days before we were informed. And we still do a dealer prep here Roger.

dan
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Easy, recall in a timely manner, or face lawsuits.

As for number of recalls, there are more cars, they are more complex, and people expect their $40K not to squeak, or break an axle, etc. Then, add in the fact that parts are outsourced and sometimes it is the smallest thing that can cause complete failure (like the ignition module).
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With many government mandated features add to the complexity to a car build, and when the manufacturers are pushing out a million units, if the bean counters can save $1 or $ 2 per car it adds up to some real money. With all the bad press the manufacturers are now scambling to save their image. If you go to a dealership and talk to any sales staff and question them about these quality, issues they use the Obama defense and know nothing about them. Ignorance is bliss in the auto market place. They are there to sell units, not caring about the quality of the product they sell.

The GM ignition issue, GM's CEO admitted that some parts not meeting their own standards get used anyway. (She will be the sacrifical GM executive) Now it is biting them in the azz.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bonaduce:

I think it has more to do with the ability to get all the information out faster, 24 hour news, internet, the whole information/connected society today as compared to 20 years ago. To provide an example, customers were calling our service department asking about the Cobalt recall even before GM informed the dealers. The Cruze recall for axles, I saw it online (I think actually on this forum) days before we were informed. And we still do a dealer prep here Roger.

dan

Your the rare one. What exactly do you do ? They used to have full time employees JUST for that. They drove the car and tested every working part in it to make sure it worked right, checked all the fluids and when it was all perfect, then it got wash and vacuum. You have any buyer come back in a few days with something broke ? Just asking since its unusual. I have a friend who is a driver for Enterprise who picks up new cars, and makes vehicle transfers all over Ohio. When Camaro first came out, they picked up a bunch from a local dealer (the largest Chevy dealer in Ohio) and half of them wouldnt start. Some that didnt start quit in the parking lot or out on the street on the way to his office. he said they all had gas. That dont sound like very competent dealer prep.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 04-10-2014).]

bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
roger, all aspects of the car is checked, any lpo that need to be put on are done, vehicle is driven for at leats five miles, fluids checked, exterior is given a once over for any scratches or dents (this is actually done upon delivery from the transporter). Tech. gets approx. 1.0 -1.4 hr depending on the vehicle to complete his PDI inspection, service manager has to sign off on it or tech does not get paid. Then it goes to detail before being put on the lot. It could sit there 2 hours and be sold, it would still go through the shop again just incase anything got missed, and again through detail. Yes we have had vehicles come back mainly '14 Silverado's for batteries being dead, GM in the effort to get them to market put the worst possible battery in it, and with the winter we had here we were replacing these at a rat of 3-5 a week (customer and lot vehicles).

dan

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock