Started on: 04-08-2014 07:00 PM
Replies: 16 (323 views)
Last post by: NEPTUNE on 04-09-2014 10:52 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post04-08-2014 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. At the Mountains of Madness
At the Mountains of Madness would have been based on the famous horror novella of the same name written by H. P. Lovecraft. The story follows a group of explorers in Antarctica who discover the remains of an ancient, alien city, eventually finding that the creatures were once the creators of all life. The explorers also find out that they’re not alone, discovering six-foot tall blind penguins that serve as livestock for something much, much worse.

Director Guillermo del Toro and screenwriter Matthew Robbins wrote a screenplay based on the novella in the mid-2000′s and immediately ran into trouble trying to finance the project due to the dark nature of the story. But in 2010, it seemed like Del Toro had finally gotten the go ahead; it was announced that not only would the film be moving forward starring Tom Cruise and in 3D, but James Cameron would be producing. The above picture is from Del Toro’s personal journal sketches from the film (go here to check out some of Del Toro’s other sketches).

Then, in March 2011, which was only months before Del Toro had believed he was to start filming, Universal refused to greenlight the film due to Del Toro’s insistence that the film be R-rated. Del Toro then tried to shop the film around to other studios without any luck.

However, Del Toro said in January that he’d like to give the film one more shot and that Tom Cruise is still attached. “Once more into the dark abyss. We’re gonna do a big presentation of the project again at the start of the year,” he said.

2. Rendezvous With Rama
Written by Arthur C. Clarke, the writer of 2001, Rendezvous With Rama tells the story of an alien starship that enters the Earth’s solar system and the group of explorers who journey to it in order to discover its secrets.

Actor Morgan Freeman has been the strongest driving force to get a film adaption of Rendezvous With Rama made, and he’s been trying since the early 2000′s. It nearly went into production in 2003 with David Fincher slated to direct, but the production later fell apart, and in 2008, Fincher said, ”It looks like it’s not going to happen. There’s no script and as you know, Morgan Freeman’s not in the best of health right now. We’ve been trying to do it but it’s probably not going to happen.”

However, as recently as 2012, Freeman said that the film is still moving ahead with Fincher in the director’s chair. The only thing they need is a good script.

3. The Dark Tower series
The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger is the first book in a series of eight novels by Stephen King, which are often referred to as his magnum opus. The story revolves around the gunslinger Roland Deschain and his pursuit of “the man in black” and his eventual journey to the titular Dark Tower.

Talk of a film adaptation of The Dark Tower started to gain momentum when J.J. Abrams was briefly attached to direct in 2007 before removing himself from the project, calling the adaptation “tricky.” Ron Howard then became attached to the adaptation, along with partner producer Brian Grazer, and the film has seemingly been on the verge of production ever since.

Universal and Howard were supposedly close to a deal at one point before the studio backed out due to Howard’s scope being too ambitious at a time when Universal was trying to cut costs — the very same reason the studio backed out of Del Toro’s At the Mountains of Madness. Warner Bros. later came close to a deal before backing out for similar reasons.

Most recently, Howard and Grazer were able to secure funding from Media Rights Capital to produce a single movie based on The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger with Russell Crowe set to star as Roland Deschain. Another option is an offer for funding from a ”mysterious Silicon Valley investor” who has offered to finance the full realization of the project, including three films and multiple TV mini-series which would air between films.

King fans likely have their fingers crossed that it’s the real deal this time.

4. The Tourist
The Tourist is a science-fiction screenplay that’s been making the rounds since 1980. Written by Clair Noto, the script initially caught the attention of Quadrophenia director Franc Roddam along with well-known production designer HR Giger. The website io9 describes the film as “a darker, sex-charged Men In Black.” More specifically, it “revealed a secret alien world in Manhattan, including a secret alien club called the Corridor, where various aliens from all over the universe meet, have sex, and commiserate about being stuck on Earth.”

The film began its 30 plus years of development hell at Universal, but was immediately met with creative differences and personality clashes, according to io9. The structure of the script was influenced by the New Wave and director Brian Gibson and writers attempted to revise the script into a more conventional structure. At the same time, HR Giger was brought in fresh off the success of Alien and asked to design the aliens of the Corridor.

When the process stalled, Noto was able to use a rare clause in her contract to shop the script to another studio. It found it’s way to Francis Ford Coppola’s Zoetrope Studio for a brief moment, with director Francis Roddam showing strong interest, but financial issues at Zoetrope caused the project to stall once again. Universal then came back for the screenplay rights and the project simply hit a dead end.

So where is it now? Well, Universal still owns the rights to the script, but it doesn’t appear that the film is any closer to making it to the big screen today than it ever was. As io9 laments in the title to their article on the project, The Tourist might be the greatest sci-fi movie never made.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com...-hell.html/?ref=tbla
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw an article the other day mentioning a Robotech movie that's been in the works for several years finally has a director. I can't wait!!!
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

I saw an article the other day mentioning a Robotech movie that's been in the works for several years finally has a director. I can't wait!!!

Sweet! I remember hearing several years back that Toby McGuire wanted in on a Robotech movie but never heard what had become of it!

It really needs a mini-series Battlestar Galactica style, but at the very least it needs a trilogy with a movie for each generation.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What was in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction?

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-08-2014 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

Marsellus Wallace's soul.
Notice the band-aid on the base of his head/neck...

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 04-08-2014).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Marsellus Wallace's soul.
Notice the band-aid on the base of his head/neck...

I thought it was the diamonds from Reservoir Dogs.

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 04-08-2014).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-08-2014 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I thought it was the diamonds from Reservoir Dogs.

Yeah, that's one of the theories, too.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rosebud.......
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OKflyboy:

Sweet! I remember hearing several years back that Toby McGuire wanted in on a Robotech movie but never heard what had become of it!

It really needs a mini-series Battlestar Galactica style, but at the very least it needs a trilogy with a movie for each generation.

I think WB bought the rights and Tobi was supposed to be producing it through his banner McGuire Entertainment. I don't remember where I saw the info on it a few days back, but on the wiki it shows the last "update" being in July of 2013.

In early 2013 the Hollywood Reporter announced that Warner Bros was in talks with commercial director Nic Mathieu to direct the film. On July 24, 2013 it was reported that Leonardo DiCaprio had turned down a role in Star Wars Episode VII and has shown interest to star as a main character in the upcoming big screen version of Robotech. DiCaprio's longtime friend and co-star in The Great Gatsby, Tobey Maguire, is still set to produce -and probably participate in the film as another one of the lead actors- while Nic Mathieu will direct.

I'm not a big Tobi fan. Not saying I hate his acting, its just never really impressed me. DiCaprio on the other hand I think would be interesting to see on the other hand. Especially as maybe Max Sterling with the whole falling in love with, wedding and creating a child with one of the Zentradi's former First Officers and Battalion Leaders. Although I imagine they'd probably cast him as Roy Focker instead which would be a sad waste of talent considering his untimely demise in the series. Of course Tobi wants to play Rick Hunter so I think that would be out for DiCaprio if he does sign on. Really there are only what, 5 male characters that would make it through the whole movie? Admiril Glovel, Rick Hunter, Max Sterling, Commander Breetai and his advisor Exedore, atleast as far as any male characters that have a significant role. But then this will be a big screen adaption so who knows what all they will change. Still, I don't see how they could screw it up any worse than the Transformers, and even with that I still enjoy watching those movies for what they are.

Yeah, Yeah, I know. You can call me a Robotech geek. It's okay, I do after all own The Protoculture Collection along with all the animated films I can get my hands on such as Macross: Do You Remember Love. I even ripped them all to my computer and put them in Plex so I can watch them on any TV/computer/cellphone/tablet in the house whenever I want at the click of some icons.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 04-09-2014).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

rosebud.......

LOL. Citizen Cane, right?
Darth88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At the Mountains of Madness sounds like a great flick, but I won't go see if Tom Cruise is attached to the film. Oh well.
PFF
System Bot
Darth88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Darth88Formula

1323 posts
Member since Aug 2005

Originally posted by maryjane:

rosebud.......

rosebud was his sled. And for anyone crying spoilers, the movie has been out for over 70 years.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth88Formula:

rosebud was his sled. And for anyone crying spoilers, the movie has been out for over 70 years.

It was more than that. He was reflecting from the time that he was truly happy, but poor, and had his mother's love. The day he was taken away from his mother, was the day they took the sled away as well and his life was changed forever.

Orson Well's was only 25-years old when he wrote, directed and starred in that movie. He was an incredible talent for sure.
Darth88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It was more than that. He was reflecting from the time that he was truly happy, but poor, and had his mother's love. The day he was taken away from his mother, was the day they took the sled away as well and his life was changed forever.

Orson Well's was only 25-years old when he wrote, directed and starred in that movie. He was an incredible talent for sure.

That's true. I never looked into it with that much depth.
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Dark Tower Series was a great read.....Up until the last books when King "phoned it in."

While I wouldn't mind seeing a series of movies based off of it, the ending (if kept to the original) is an abortion that destroys the rest of the story.

Just my opinion, I still haven't changed my mind since I was finally able to read the final book a few years ago.

Brad
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The second one sounds interesting...the others not even remotely to me. What did Clark 'write' if he didnt write the script.....
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too bad.
I read and liked all of them (except for Dark Tower).
I hope things work out and the films get green lighted and made.
And I hope all of them wind up being better films than Dune, The Postman, and some other good books that turned into disappointing films.

------------------

I speak English. Sue me.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock