Started on: 04-02-2014 08:20 PM
Replies: 35 (368 views)
Last post by: Capt Fiero on 04-03-2014 06:45 PM
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let's hope Microsoft keeps the trend going with producing good operating systems every other new release.

Win 98 = good
Win ME = bad
Win XP = good
Win Vista = bad
Win 7 = good
Win 8 = bad

I'm skipping Windows 8 on my systems. My office desktop and one of my laptops is running Windows 7 and I love it. My other laptop and shop desktop are both running XP (because I have some legacy programs on those machines that don't work with any newer OS).

The wife has Windows 8.1 on her HP Tablet w/ touchscreen and I find it difficult to do anything quickly on it with that OS. For what I do, the keyboard is king for getting the job done quickly and Win8 seems like it was written to NOT use a keyboard.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 04-03-2014).]

theBDub

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

Let's hope Microsoft keeps the trend going with producing good operating systems every other new release.

Win 98 = good
Win ME = bad
Win XP = good
Win Vista = bad
Win 7 = good
Win 8 = bad

I'm skipping Windows 8 on my systems. My office desktop and one of my laptops is running Windows 7 and I love it. My other laptop and shop desktop are both running XP (because I have some legacy programs on those machines that don't work with any newer OS).

The wife has Windows 8.1 on her HP Tablet w/ touchscreen and I find it difficult to do anything quickly on it with that OS. For what I do, the keyboard is king for getting the job done quickly and Win8 seems like it was written to NOT use a keyboard.

Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7. And with 8.1 you can boot straight to desktop.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7. And with 8.1 you can boot straight to desktop.

I can't quickly navigate Windows 8 or 8.1 without a touchscreen. None of my PCs or laptops have a touchscreen. Fingerprints on my screens drive me nuts anyway.

I upgraded the wife's tablet to 8.1 to get the "boot to desktop" feature. And to tell you the truth, that "feature" seems more like an add-on than a primary function of the OS. It seems like there is always something you have to go back to the win 8 native "app screen" to access that you can't do inside the conventional desktop without having to jump thru a bunch of hoops. In this regard, I think that actually makes windows 8 slower to actually use. Not only that, but my biggest complaint about Windows 8 is it is a major pain in the ass to shut down apps (usually have to go to the desktop and then ctrl-alt-del to get into task manager to shut them down).

You say Windows 8 is faster. But from what I've seen, it isn't "faster enough" to justify the headaches of upgrading and having to deal with incompatibility issues with legacy hardware and software - AGAIN. I think I'll wait for Windows 9 to come out before I worry about upgrading.

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Win 98 = good
Win ME = bad
Win XP = good
Win Vista = bad
Win 7 = good
Win 8 = bad

Lest we forget:

Win NT 3.51 = pretty good
Win NT 4.0 = meh (essentially Win NT 3.51 internals with the Win 95 look & feel)
Win 2000 = very good

Despite being a resource hog, I agree that Win 7 is a very good (and stable!) operating system.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 04-03-2014).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
8.1 update... might help. or not.
restoring real start button etc should help.
No aero means still look like using old 9x/XP GUI... Many people are unimpressed by 8's desktop.
Is true that Aero can eat CPU and GPU cycles but it was user choice for using it or not. MS took away that choice to make everything to look like Surface tablet and save power on Surface Pro.

I told MS forces app store account to get the update... MS still doesn't get that many refuse to use MS App Store. Many Businesses will never allow users to access MS store because Many businesses are locking down everything.

Win 98 = good
Win ME = bad
Win XP = good
Win Vista = bad
Win 7 = good
Win 8 = bad

Problem is Vista 7 and 8.x uses basically same kernels.
Most Vista installs x86 and many drivers makers tried patching XP drivers use Vista and why many have major problems.
Most OE 7 8 & 8.1 installs use x64. X64 forces all drivers to be signed x64 drivers. So Comparing 7 to Vista is apples to oranges for this reason.
win 8 and 8.1 have major GUI problems. The kernel is good and MS ripped out many services to save power on Surface Pro and as a result, run faster. In fact, You can run 7 GUI on 8 Kernel using Ex7forW8

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post04-03-2014 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Win 98 = good
Win ME = bad
Win XP = good
Win Vista = bad
Win 7 = good
Win 8 = bad

They are all bad. lets hope they go out of business instead.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post04-03-2014 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

Lest we forget:

Win NT 3.51 = very good
Win NT 4.0 = meh (essentially Win NT 3.51 internals with the Win 95 look & feel)
Win 2000 = very good

Despite being a resource hog, I agree that Win 7 is a very good (and stable!) operating system.

My dislike for them aside, 2000 was the pinnacle of their OS development ( even tho they stole their first product, and needed help from IBM to get to NT in the first place.. so i use the term 'their' loosely ). It was up hill getting to that point, and its been down hill ever since.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's the difference between the Windows 8.1 released a few months ago, and this one?

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have tried windows 8... gave it a fair chance to impress me (many months). BUT, I do not like it (or I should say that apps are unless when you are trying to multi-task... and use "windows"). Give me windows 7 again. Sigh.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I can't quickly navigate Windows 8 or 8.1 without a touchscreen. None of my PCs or laptops have a touchscreen. Fingerprints on my screens drive me nuts anyway.

I upgraded the wife's tablet to 8.1 to get the "boot to desktop" feature. And to tell you the truth, that "feature" seems more like an add-on than a primary function of the OS. It seems like there is always something you have to go back to the win 8 native "app screen" to access that you can't do inside the conventional desktop without having to jump thru a bunch of hoops. In this regard, I think that actually makes windows 8 slower to actually use. Not only that, but my biggest complaint about Windows 8 is it is a major pain in the ass to shut down apps (usually have to go to the desktop and then ctrl-alt-del to get into task manager to shut them down).

You say Windows 8 is faster. But from what I've seen, it isn't "faster enough" to justify the headaches of upgrading and having to deal with incompatibility issues with legacy hardware and software - AGAIN. I think I'll wait for Windows 9 to come out before I worry about upgrading.

Sounds to me like you just don't know how to use it. I'm far faster on my laptop with no touchscreen on 8.1 than I ever was on 7. I don't even use the Start screen... ever. And apps shut down just fine... Also, all my programs that were on 7 work just fine on 8. But hey, don't upgrade, that's fine.
PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post04-03-2014 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sounds to me like you just don't know how to use it. I'm far faster on my laptop with no touchscreen on 8.1 than I ever was on 7. I don't even use the Start screen... ever. And apps shut down just fine... Also, all my programs that were on 7 work just fine on 8. But hey, don't upgrade, that's fine.

Hmm both a fanboy and you blame the user first... you sure you don't work for them?
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Hmm both a fanboy and you blame the user first... you sure you don't work for them?

Nope. And in this case... probably is the user. I can understand not liking the Start screen. I only use the Start screen on my Surface. But 8 is objectively faster than 7, there are no problems closing apps, and I haven't had any incompatibility issues, but that's the only one that I can't put up to user error since I don't know what he's trying to run.

I boot straight to desktop, and never see the start screen. I use it the same way I use my Windows 7 work computer.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post04-03-2014 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nope.

I was joking. I know its rare, but every so often i will do that.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

I was joking. I know its rare, but every so often i will do that.

I know Nurb. I understand your humor
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if i should go for the 8.1 update... I'm not running a legit version of Windows 8.. yeah yeah, I'm a terrible monster... I'll pay for my sins and all that... Just wondering if my illegitimate copy will take the update and if it will even work there after... I guess if it don't I have no one to blame but myself.

I’m posting this because I know I’m not the only one here wondering…
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But 8 is objectively faster than 7, there are no problems closing apps, and I haven't had any incompatibility issues, but that's the only one that I can't put up to user error since I don't know what he's trying to run.

OOBE, Win7 is slower then 8. Given...
When you disable unused services (All NT and 9x have a very long history of turn on service most don't need.) and "bloatware" (Some think Aero is Bloatware.) then 7 XP 2K etc is fast too. MS does same thing to 8 as many of us have done to all NT, even 9x and older.

If I need best speed, I have/had a choice of disable GUI's eye candy... Active Desktop, Aero, Gadgets, etc.
In 8, MS think they know best for everyone's need. Touch is a big issue not the only problem. 8 and 8.1 causes many problems for Disable users. No-one thinks 8.1 Update will change that. We'll see in a few days...

8.1 and new "Update" should have been push as SP1 and SP2 in MS Update. Instead MS trying to blackmail all users to create MS app store account. This is a big problem for many, including many Businesses.

Never hear of Active Desktop? Was used in 9x and Most disable/ignore the feature. MS stopped supporting it when turn out Active Desktop is Giant Security problem... Same happen to Vista/7 Gadgets.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Purple86GT:

I wonder if i should go for the 8.1 update... I'm not running a legit version of Windows 8.. yeah yeah, I'm a terrible monster... I'll pay for my sins and all that... Just wondering if my illegitimate copy will take the update and if it will even work there after... I guess if it don't I have no one to blame but myself.

I’m posting this because I know I’m not the only one here wondering…

Just hit up the torrent sites, Windows 8.1 has been out there for 4 months and has pre-activated versions. They are Tech release versions that were supposed to go to Computer builders so they could be installed on PC's that are sold in stores. Then tweaked so updates and activations won't ever be a problem.

For the record I am a computer tech, and I hate Windows 8.1 when I install 8 on any PC the first thing I do is install the hack to bring back a normal start button and normal desktop for them. You can get the tweak at www.ninite.com look for the classic start application and install that.

What I hate the most is the round about ways to get to things that were so simple in 7 like networking controls and network drives. Even computer properties and "manage computer" stuff.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics For Sale $4000, Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't like the"full screen" apps in win8... like their photo viewer...
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For those still clinging to Win XP and Win 7, Microsoft announced at Build 2014 conference another update that will add back in the start menu, and also allowed you to run windowed apps on the desktop. Sounds like they are finally giving into the criticisms from frustrated desktop users. Another cool announcement was that future Windows apps will be able to compatible between Xbox One, PC, and smartphones.

http://www.theverge.com/201...w-desktop-experience

[This message has been edited by loafer87gt (edited 04-03-2014).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post04-03-2014 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by loafer87gt:

For those still clinging to Win XP and Win 7, Microsoft announced at Build 2014 conference another update that will add back in the start menu, and also allowed you to run windowed apps on the desktop. Sounds like they are finally giving into the criticisms from frustrated desktop users. Another cool announcement was that future Windows apps will be able to compatible between Xbox One, PC, and smartphones.

Some cant upgrade due to compatibly or resource issues.

PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by loafer87gt:

I am happy the Start menu is returning (for the work environment)

and it IS kinda cool that apps will run on all of that...

But I am kinda walking around half dazed lately.

What will the office look like a few years from now?
Will we have to sign into to one of these experiences?

It'll be harder and harder to keep things offline.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post04-03-2014 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

What will the office look like a few years from now?
Will we have to sign into to one of these experiences?

It'll be harder and harder to keep things offline.

Visual Studio is almost like that now.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fingerprints on my screens drive me nuts anyway.

You can't be driven someplace you already are,

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

Lest we forget:

Win NT 3.51 = pretty good
Win 2000 = very good

Windows 3.0 and Windows 3.1 were pretty rock-solid also.

Castle of the Winds and Word both worked flawlessly...
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nope. And in this case... probably is the user. I can understand not liking the Start screen. I only use the Start screen on my Surface. But 8 is objectively faster than 7, there are no problems closing apps, and I haven't had any incompatibility issues, but that's the only one that I can't put up to user error since I don't know what he's trying to run.

I boot straight to desktop, and never see the start screen. I use it the same way I use my Windows 7 work computer.

Most of the apps on the wife's tablet don't have a close or exit button in them - anywhere. The only way to exit is to basically back out of them. But guess what? Go to task manager after doing that and they are still running - hogging resources. Is it just too much to ask to give me back my red X in the upper right hand corner?

If you like Windows 8 - good for you. There are a lot more people who hate it than like it, I can assure you. If there weren't, then why is MS putting all this effort into adding traditional windows functionality back into it?

And as far as Windows 8 being faster - yea, it may be - for now. But let's see how fast it is after a couple of service pack patches and a couple of hundred updates are released and installed. I just changed out the HDD in my shop PC and reinstalled Windows XP on it. It is an older PC so it isn't fast enough to run practically with a newer OS. But it was lightning fast with a clean XP install. However, after I installed about 300 updates (including 3 service packs), it is as slow as molasses in January. I'm sure Windows 8 will follow suit once it gets its share of updates and service pack patches applied. Just give it time.

Gotta love the almighty Microsoft...
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*gets protective shield*

i kinda like 8.1.... as a network/system admin, it has alot of very nice things built in, its security is higher, and RDP 8.0 is just mmmm mmmm good.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Most of the apps on the wife's tablet don't have a close or exit button in them - anywhere. The only way to exit is to basically back out of them. But guess what? Go to task manager after doing that and they are still running - hogging resources. Is it just too much to ask to give me back my red X in the upper right hand corner?

If you like Windows 8 - good for you. There are a lot more people who hate it than like it, I can assure you. If there weren't, then why is MS putting all this effort into adding traditional windows functionality back into it?

And as far as Windows 8 being faster - yea, it may be - for now. But let's see how fast it is after a couple of service pack patches and a couple of hundred updates are released and installed. I just changed out the HDD in my shop PC and reinstalled Windows XP on it. It is an older PC so it isn't fast enough to run practically with a newer OS. But it was lightning fast with a clean XP install. However, after I installed about 300 updates (including 3 service packs), it is as slow as molasses in January. I'm sure Windows 8 will follow suit once it gets its share of updates and service pack patches applied. Just give it time.

Gotta love the almighty Microsoft...

Pull down from the top to close apps... Like I said... user error.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Windows 3.0 and Windows 3.1 were pretty rock-solid also.

Castle of the Winds and Word both worked flawlessly...

unless you were in that new internet thing and someone OOB nuked ya...

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pull down from the top to close apps... Like I said... user error.

I've done that - smartass. Guess what? A lot of them are STILL RUNNING! (at least according to Task Mgr)

hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
windows 8 programs in metro mode run kinda like those on an android or ios... they stay running untill the system needs their recourses then will close them. so yes, it will stay running, but if you have low ram, and try to open something else up, the oldest used app will close, or go into a suspended state depending on the app.

PFF
System Bot
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've done that - smartass. Guess what? A lot of them are STILL RUNNING! (at least according to Task Mgr)

Well then, I am wrong. My apologies--I was being unnecessarily snarky.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post04-03-2014 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

windows 8 programs in metro mode run kinda like those on an android or ios...

metro *shudder*
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

*gets protective shield*

i kinda like 8.1.... as a network/system admin, it has alot of very nice things built in, its security is higher, and RDP 8.0 is just mmmm mmmm good.

Wait What??? I use RDP Daily,(its running 24/7 on my home desktop to access my media server) however have never tried it on Windows 8....... AH Crap you know how much work you just made for me..... I'm going to have to install Windows 8 on a spare HD in my main rig to dual boot it, just so I can try this new RDP.

So what's so new and cool about RDP in Windows 8. My desktop and media server are hard wired gigabit so bandwidth and latency are a non issue. Only time it gets a little fussy is trying to watch video remotely over RDP.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well then, I am wrong. My apologies--I was being unnecessarily snarky.

To be honest, it COULD be an app problem, I suppose. I'm just blaming the OS because it is a pain in the ass to use without a touchscreen.

My gripe with MS is they had a very fine and nicely working OS for desktops and non-touchscreen laptops in Win7; and they had to go and morph it into something that they thought would appeal to the "android and iphone crowd" - not thinking about their core customer base who still has non-touchscreen desktops and laptops.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My gripe with MS is they had a very fine and nicely working OS for desktops and non-touchscreen laptops in Win7; and they had to go and morph it into something that they thought would appeal to the "android and iphone crowd" - not thinking about their core customer base who still has non-touchscreen desktops and laptops.

Exactly, and well stated.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics For Sale $4000, Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock