Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Move Over God, We're Going To Build A Better.....EVERYTHING!! (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Move Over God, We're Going To Build A Better.....EVERYTHING!! by Boondawg
Started on: 04-01-2014 01:53 PM
Replies: 53 (547 views)
Last post by: Boostdreamer on 04-02-2014 04:01 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post04-01-2014 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Look miles into the future and imagine a day, when geneticists can design a flawless set of human genes in a laboratory.

That future vision may never arrive, but it has taken a step closer.

Scientists have built a designer chromosome and inserted it into a cell, geneticist Jef Boeke from New York University announced this week.

The chromosome was a heavily altered version, a departure from its natural counterpart. A team of scientists from around the world made 500 changes to its genetic base.

"When you change the genome, you're gambling," said Boeke, who led the project. "One wrong change can kill the cell."

But the cell survived and made use of its new chromosome. It also reproduced, and subsequent cells carried the new chromosome forward.

Actually, make this breakthrough a second step closer to that way-out-there future.

Researchers were already able to duplicate a chromosome on a computer four years ago, build it in the lab, insert it into a cell and watch it work.

It was a huge advancement that created the first synthetic bacteria cell, scientists said then.

But, now, there's been a leap forward, Boeke said.

"Our research moves the needle in synthetic biology from theory to reality," he said.

It makes scientists more able to alter the design of living things.

The new chromosome and the cell Boeke's scientist built it for are much more complex and are closer to those of a human being.

The kind of cell Boeke used? Brewer's yeast.

Yeast cells, human cells, plant and animal cells have in common that they are "eukaryotes" -- cells with a nucleus wrapped in membrane.

Our chromosomes, which are located in those nuclei, are made of enormously long strings of DNA.

They are wound up like twists of yarn that take on that familiar "X" shape many associate with the genes they contain. And they are called eukaryotic chromosomes.

Boeke's breakthrough represents the first report that a whole eukaryotic chromosome was constructed from scratch, NYU said.

Boeke and his team call their new designer chromosome "synIII."

It took seven years and the help of 60 students to build synIII with the help of computer modeling.

Each student put together about 1,000 genetic molecule pairs called "base pairs" to make strings of DNA.

They were joined together to make a genetic strand 273,871 base pairs long.

That's actually shorter than the yeast's natural chromosome, which contained 316,667 base pairs.

And that's where the design and manipulation come in. Broeke and his team took out 47,841 base pairs that were repeats of other pairs -- along with some "junk" DNA.

The new designer chromosome is a cleaned up, streamlined version of the original.

Yeast has about 6,000 genes and shares about a third of them with humans, although yeast is a much simpler beast.

That makes it easier to study. In fact, its genetics are probably better known than those of any other living thing, NYU said.

Although Boeke studies human genetics, too, he is not planning to design a set of synthetic human chromosomes.

But he would like to build all 16 required for an entire yeast cell. And he has made some progress already.

Students are figuring out how to make DNA strands 10 times as long as the ones they made the first time around. It should speed up production of subsequent chromosomes.

Boeke also wants to improve upon the yeast cells in the process, now that his team can shuffle its genes around like cards in a deck.

"It will allow us to ask, can we make a deck of cards with a better hand for making yeast survive under any of a multitude of conditions, such as tolerating higher alcohol levels."

That might make for stronger glass of beer, but it could also have other uses: The new cells could possibly be programmed to "brew" medicines, vaccines and fuels.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/...akthrough/index.html
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good intentions often end up to have devastating consequences.

[This message has been edited by Red88FF (edited 04-02-2014).]

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[FRIENDLY JAB] It's probably a good idea that they are working on this since they can't get the goo in the sea to offer up anything new since they started watching for it. Also no reason to wait billions of years to allow evolution to create the perfect something. Look at how many billions of years it has been trying and still hasn't perfected anything. I guess that is why it gave up and quit. [/FRIENDLY JAB]

Really, I have no problem with this research. It's how we learn stuff.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was reading another article about this, how they are leaving out some of the "extra" genes...I have a feeling that even though most "redundant" code might be just that, some of it is actually useful, that it serves some purpose. But nometimes, nature is a bit sloppy, I suppose.

But most critters have a BUNCH of "old code" - and some of it can be 'turned on'. it's like how some of the newer versions of Windows could use the old shell. or just replace the .exe with .txt, and the file will just sleep...

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TheDigitalAlchemist

12447 posts
Member since Jan 2012

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

[FRIENDLY JAB] It's probably a good idea that they are working on this since they can't get the goo in the sea to offer up anything new since they started watching for it. Also no reason to wait billions of years to allow evolution to create the perfect something. Look at how many billions of years it has been trying and still hasn't perfected anything. I guess that is why it gave up and quit. [/FRIENDLY JAB]

Really, I have no problem with this research. It's how we learn stuff.

research...its how we learn stuff....aaaaand then we totally disregard it because it doesn't jive with some books some folks wrote a long time ago...books that got editied and cut up and re-arranged, and translated a few times...and now, it's perfect!

12 of the most perfect parts, explored:
http://io9.com/gods-12-bigg...testament-1522970429

Number 4's my favorite.

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 04-01-2014).]

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

research...its how we learn stuff....aaaaand then we totally disregard it because it doesn't jive with some books some folks wrote a long time ago...books that got editied and cut up and re-arranged, and translated a few times...and now, it's perfect!

Which is crazy because when Science decides something, it is what it is forever! Science NEVER changes it's mind or is found to be inaccurate so we must bow down towards Silicon Valley every day at 1pm Central Time to honor the gods of research.

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 04-01-2014).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Which is crazy because when Science decides something, it is what it is forever! Science NEVER changes it's mind or is found to be inaccurate so we must bow down towards Silicon Valley every day at 1pm Central Time to honor the gods of research.

Umm, not even CLOSE. Science isn't an invisible imaginary friend. it's not a person. "It" doesn't "decide" anything. And it continually 'changes'...they even have a name for it --> The Scientific Method. By saying Science never changes, you reveal how ignorant you are regarding science...

If what you said was true about Science, we'd still be kickin' around Alchemy and such things. We'd disregard all that we have discovered about microscopic things...

It's not a perfect system, and new ideas/theories are harshly ridiculed...

But

One essential aspect of the advancement of our knowledge is to to weed out that which has been proven false, so we don't keep re-doing that same wrong experiments. But, they ARE still there to re-do, and rediscover the same results.

Man, the more you explore the old Religious texts, the harder it is to keep a straight face.

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH

[HANK HILL VOICE] Got dang it, I can challenge your book buy you can't challenge mine! Dang peckerwood! [/HANK HILL VOICE]

There, I fixed it for you.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is just chemistry... sooner or later we will control DNA... not as soon as people hope, but we are moving forward. It would be nice to be able to do more. No more cancer, no more transplants, etc. One step at a time.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Really?

Do you know anything about science?

Dear Lord please help this individual.

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

Really?

Do you know anything about science?

So you're telling me that the scientific estimate for the age of the Earth has always been the same? Seems to me that they tack on a few years every so often.

PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-01-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

An absolutely false paragraph! I don't mind hearing about how perfect your god is, but now I have to listen to you spout off falsehoods.

Grow the **** up. You can't leave things alone.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

If he did, it might make a believer outta me...

I tried. Even used a pretty picture.

I can't challenge you because I can't prove your invisible friend exists. but you can chellenge me and prove much of what is in most science books. So you win, I guess?

When Science works,it works because... GOD! (where's that guy with the hair when i need him?)
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

An absolutely false paragraph! I don't mind hearing about how perfect your god is, but now I have to listen to you spout off falsehoods.

Grow the **** up. You can't leave things alone.

Leave what alone? The title of the thread says god. I think I've been quite humorous in this thread. If you don't like it, piss off. You are probably the most wishy-washy person on this board. Are you bi-polar? If so, please accept my appologies.

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-01-2014 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Leave what alone? The title of the thread says god. I think I've been quite humorous in this thread. If you don't like it, piss off. You are probably the most wishy-washy person on this board. Are you bi-polar? If so, please accept my appologies.

Wow!
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Wow!

Should I have used some asterisk words? Would that have been more clear and acceptable for you?

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So you're telling me that the scientific estimate for the age of the Earth has always been the same? Seems to me that they tack on a few years every so often.

So ONE ridiculous, migrane-inducing number is better? 6,000 years? I have impacted meat-stuff in my colon which is older than that!

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
God Boy! GooooOooooood boy!

FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I came here hoping that this was about bacon.

Now I will be watching for the order form for my personal Fifth Element.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So ONE ridiculous, migrane-inducing number is better? 6,000 years? I have impacted meat-stuff in my colon which is older than that!

God Boy! GooooOooooood boy!

I cannot help that you are unable to recognize humor. Even when it is enclosed with "friendly jab". Like I said, I think I've been pretty funny here. I have NOT made any Christian arguments about the age of the earth or anything else. You guys always drag that stuff into the threads. Well, if that's what you want to talk about, I guess I'll help you with that. Don't like it? Don't bring it up.

Your VERY FIRST response to my post was a direct attack on me personally. I didn't attack you or Boonie or any other person. I made a joke then said I support the research mentioned in the OP. I'm sorry you feel such a deep desire to find an enemy. Get off your self-rightous, self-important high horse. EVERYTHING is open to debate, in the world and on this forum. Deal with it.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendGregory:

I came here hoping that this was about bacon.

Now I will be watching for the order form for my personal Fifth Element.

Even Science can't improve Bacon(yet?). Bacon tastes yummy, cures cancer. But, it can improve anything just by wrapping it around something. Chicken. Scallops. Maybe wrap it around Chuck Norris, even...

or God. Yes, even God. Bacon-Wrapped God for the win!

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Even Science can't improve Bacon(yet?). Bacon tastes yummy, cures cancer. But, it can improve anything just by wrapping it around something. Chicken. Scallops. Maybe wrap it around Chuck Norris, even...

For the win, I see the humor in that!

PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Divide by Zero
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Divide by Zero

Only God can divide by zero... or was it Chuck Norris?
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bah....while I too enjoy tinkering with existing systems - these folks can not "make" anything. they can only modify existing.

start simple. make a living tree. out of no other living cells. THEN we have something.

and, I would like it if they did such work off earth, not even near orbit. the very theory of evolution should show that if they do make a better something - it will eventually leave the lessors extinct. maybe not humans, but even just the smallest part of the food chain ripples up.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Umm, not even CLOSE. Science isn't an invisible imaginary friend. it's not a person. "It" doesn't "decide" anything. And it continually 'changes'...they even have a name for it --> The Scientific Method. By saying Science never changes, you reveal how ignorant you are regarding science...

If what you said was true about Science, we'd still be kickin' around Alchemy and such things. We'd disregard all that we have discovered about microscopic things...

It's not a perfect system, and new ideas/theories are harshly ridiculed...

But

One essential aspect of the advancement of our knowledge is to to weed out that which has been proven false, so we don't keep re-doing that same wrong experiments. But, they ARE still there to re-do, and rediscover the same results.

Man, the more you explore the old Religious texts, the harder it is to keep a straight face.

Let's not forget how religion exercised authority over science for fear of it's impact on people's beliefs. Yeah, nothing dishonest ever happens in religion. How ironic.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

Let's not forget how religion exercised authority over science for fear of it's impact on people's beliefs. Yeah, nothing dishonest ever happens in religion. How ironic.

I want to write that down so I don't forget it. What year did you say that was?

DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-01-2014 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Should I have used some asterisk words? Would that have been more clear and acceptable for you?

Once again, I hope you feel better soon. *Ask me later, I may be having a bipolar episode right now *
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So Global Warming is faith-based. Impressive.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Red88FF:

Good intentions often end up have devastating consequences.

[FRIENDLY JAB] See Genesis... [/FRIENDLY JAB]
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Yes, the theory evolves when better information becomes available. Exactly how science works...
PFF
System Bot
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
genetic engineering is a tool, used by man. man decides whether it will be used for good or ill. the genie is out of the bottle, and now we get three wishes. be careful - genies are tricky.
DanDamage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:

genetic engineering is a tool, used by man. man decides whether it will be used for good or ill. the genie is out of the bottle, and now we get three wishes. be careful - genies are tricky.

theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bacon-wrapped cinnamon rolls.... you're welcome.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I want to write that down so I don't forget it. What year did you say that was?

EVER
DanDamage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Which is crazy because when Science decides something, it is what it is forever! Science NEVER changes it's mind or is found to be inaccurate

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Yes, the theory evolves when better information becomes available. Exactly how science works...

Exactly my point. Thank you.
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BIO SHOCK
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
flagrantly stolen from another forum:

"Concern trolling
A particularly annoying form of trolling in which someone falsely pretends to be offering advice to favor a position they do not endorse; a creationist who masquerades as someone concerned about the arguments for evolution as an excuse to make criticisms. They like the challenge, the controversy and the argument; so they try to get you to contradict yourself or make unsupportable claims so they can call you on it, while still making it seem that maybe they are just trying to understand."
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock