Started on: 03-27-2014 12:50 PM
Replies: 27 (270 views)
Last post by: Rodney on 04-09-2014 09:47 AM
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our treadmill is acting up. I found a place that can repair the circuit board. They maybe messed up when they asked if there was a blue capacitor in line to the motor. It may be bad. It is actually on the circuit board. 1.500 uf and 250 volts. About 2 5/8" tall and about 1 3/8" in diameter. Where to find one? I would like to put in a new cap before I send out the board for repair. I can send a picture if anyone needs one. It is your typically large sized cap in the blue can.

Thanks
Rodney
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero STS

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That says 1500 uf. Mine is 1.5 uf

Rodney
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

That says 1500 uf. Mine is 1.5 uf

Rodney

r u sure? 1.5 uF would usually be much smaller without trailing zeros.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaskispyder

21510 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by spark1:

my thought also.
Nurb432

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero STS:

Try here

http://www.digikey.com/prod...=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

or jameco.com
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by spark1:

ya, 1.5 is pretty small....
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is 1500 uf. Hard to see if that is a . or ,

Thanks
Rodney
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It is 1500 uf. Hard to see if that is a . or ,

Thanks
Rodney

Perhaps? http://www.jameco.com/1/1/1...-105c-10x21x5mm.html
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is the mount on a board type with 2 wire leads.

Rodney
PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000
Here is one but the overall size is smaller:

http://www.amazon.com/Alumi...+capacitor+250+volts

I can make this one work. Would it work the same as it is smaller in size?

Rodney
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mine is the mount on a board type with 2 wire leads.

Rodney

So was the one above.. perhaps a picture will help
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here is one but the overall size is smaller:

http://www.amazon.com/Alumi...+capacitor+250+volts

I can make this one work. Would it work the same as it is smaller in size?

Rodney

If the leads will match up to the holes physical size isn't important, its the ratings that matter.

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

http://www.mouser.com/Produ...RVwz%252b2CmhTKpZw== ??

Bought 2 so I have one spare if I need it later. I can remote wire it to the board if the leads do not fit. There is a ton of room under the cover.

So cool more and more take PayPal now. A few lines to fill in. On to PayPal and confirm and my order is done. How cool is that.

Thanks!!

Rodney
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000
One trick I devised a long time ago (I'm sure others do it). Once the old component is removed heat up the solder on the board one hole at a time and quickly blow real hard at the board close to your mouth. Blows the melted solder out and the new component usually goes right in the holes. You might have to do it a few times.

Rodney
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

http://www.mouser.com/Produ...RVwz%252b2CmhTKpZw== ??

I'll admit I bought this one because it is closer in size to the one on my board now.

Rodney
silver 85 sc

Feedback score:    (40)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post03-27-2014 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One trick I devised a long time ago (I'm sure others do it). Once the old component is removed heat up the solder on the board one hole at a time and quickly blow real hard at the board close to your mouth. Blows the melted solder out and the new component usually goes right in the holes. You might have to do it a few times.

Rodney

That is why we have desoldering braid and vacuum bulbs. ( tho i stopped using bulbs after i grew up )
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

That is why we have desoldering braid and vacuum bulbs. ( tho i stopped using bulbs after i grew up )

No more solder sucking?

Blowing molten solder seems a bit dangerous to me though I have tapped on a board or two on a bench to remove solder.
Using wick is a better way.

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 03-28-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well the capacitor did not seem to help. But I did find a video of the same treadmill and mine makes the same noise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgb2TY3WCkg

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Rodney

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bad bearing?
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The noise in my opinion is the brushes. My opinion was the signal from the board was bad. It is a simple brush motor. Same as hand drills etc. In my opinion the feed from the board is erratic and causes the brushes to bounce or something??

Rodney
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000
I sent some emails to some local electric repair places. A guy called and offered some suggestions. He says it is not the board. Maybe a lifted commentator. He says disconnect the drive belt and rotate the motor. If it makes the noise twice per revolution it is a raised commentator. So maybe I will need a new armature. New motor is $500. New armature is still probably $300 I bet. I think I am on track now to getting it fixed.

PS: replacing that capacitor was a joy. The board was clear coated and the capacitor was glued around the rim to the circuit board. I had to pry it up slightly with a screw driver while I heated one leg. Then use a scalpel to cut the glue joint. Then heat each leg etc. But I got it.

Thanks
Rodney

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post04-02-2014 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I sent some emails to some local electric repair places. A guy called and offered some suggestions. He says it is not the board. Maybe a lifted commentator. He says disconnect the drive belt and rotate the motor. If it makes the noise twice per revolution it is a raised commentator. So maybe I will need a new armature. New motor is $500. New armature is still probably $300 I bet. I think I am on track now to getting it fixed.

PS: replacing that capacitor was a joy. The board was clear coated and the capacitor was glued around the rim to the circuit board. I had to pry it up slightly with a screw driver while I heated one leg. Then use a scalpel to cut the glue joint. Then heat each leg etc. But I got it.

Thanks
Rodney

Should have told us why you were doing it in the first place Would be free to check out the motor...
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took a cover off the motor and could look at the armature/brush area. One commentator is burned. Since I can't get a new armature for this motor I decided to try cutting the wire to that commentator. The motor still worked but once I got on the fuse in my house electrical panel blew. So this motor is junk unfortunately. So I'm going to buy a new motor. But I thought it was the board so I'm ahead. New motor is big bucks but without it the treadmill is junk. We bought it like new used for a bargain price so not the worst.

Thanks
Rodney
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New motor is in. Works like new. Just one of those things. Something shorted in a winding. But no service call and got it right the first time so no not needed parts were bought and tried. Well I did put in a new capacitor that was not needed and I have 2 spare capacitors now. But that was not that much compared to buying a new $500 control board or a service call by a tech.

Rodney

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock