Equality is everything to a Democrat. by V8 Vega
Started on: 03-25-2014 10:55 AM
Replies: 18 (267 views)
Last post by: NEPTUNE on 03-25-2014 05:03 PM
V8 Vega

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-25-2014 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8 VegaSend a Private Message to V8 VegaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awhile ago the Democrats in Los Angeles passed a law where the curbs on the sidewalks at every intersection have to be sloped from the street to the sidewalk so wheelchair users can roll up on the sidewalk and there fore be somewhat equal to those without wheelchairs.
Can you imagine how many corners there are in LA. this has had to cost billions to the taxpayers.
I live in a far corner of LA 30 miles from downtown but its still LA., yesterday I came on a LA city crew paid for by taxpayers with a big tractor and dump truck doing two more sidewalk corners.
1st they had a cement saw and jackhammers to get a hole in the cement big enough for the tractor with a shovel on it to get it where the shovel could get under the concrete and lift and break it up and into the dump truck.
As always with taxpayers paid for crews there was several guys standing around.
This is residential neighborhoods all around, maybe one person every 10 years on a wheelchair will use the sloped corner.
Man I hate Democrats.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every city I have seen in the USA has these ramps.
I guess somebody @ city hall forgot about your street.

Bicycle riders use them too. Even the Republican riders.

------------------

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 03-25-2014).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by V8 Vega:

Awhile ago the Democrats in Los Angeles passed a law where the curbs on the sidewalks at every intersection have to be sloped from the street to the sidewalk so wheelchair users can roll up on the sidewalk and there fore be somewhat equal to those without wheelchairs.
Can you imagine how many corners there are in LA. this has had to cost billions to the taxpayers.
I live in a far corner of LA 30 miles from downtown but its still LA., yesterday I came on a LA city crew paid for by taxpayers with a big tractor and dump truck doing two more sidewalk corners.
1st they had a cement saw and jackhammers to get a hole in the cement big enough for the tractor with a shovel on it to get it where the shovel could get under the concrete and lift and break it up and into the dump truck.
As always with taxpayers paid for crews there was several guys standing around.
This is residential neighborhoods all around, maybe one person every 10 years on a wheelchair will use the sloped corner.
Man I hate Democrats.

Why do you hate this law? Because it gives people in wheelchairs access to the same things you have access to? Be glad you are not a person that has to use these ramps.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 was sponsored by Tom Harkin (D-IA) and signed into law by President George H. W. Bush.
There are plenty of reasons to hate Democrats today. This isn't one of them.
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Requirement. Thank the federal government! This is the same act that requies braile the keypads of drivethrough ATM machines.

I have come to grips of tearing up these corners for ramp replacment. What bugged me was one local replacement where the % grade was 1% off so they need to tear out the newly installed ramps just to have them installed again. The first install was done as a part of the upgrade of the street where it got re-paved. The seocnd install of the ramps was done after the street was paved causing some of the new asphalt to be cut up.

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They did this in my old neighborhood, they came in, and cut out the corners, and put in new ones with this yellow stuff in a rectangle shape to prevent slippin'. Unfortunately, the stuff didn't last more than 3 years, so now , they are all curled up and dangerous.
The other great thing they did was block up the sewers on those corners, so now, it floods all over the place. and the corners they put in are lower than the rest of the sidewalk, so the corners now turn into pools (or mini ice rinks)

Originally posted by NEPTUNE:

Bicycle riders use them too. Even the Republican riders.

They shouldn't be riding on the sidewalks - quick, someone SHOOT Them!

*pew*
*pew*
*pew*
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

They did this in my old neighborhood, they came in, and cut out the corners, and put in new ones with this yellow stuff in a rectangle shape to prevent slippin'. Unfortunately, the stuff didn't last more than 3 years, so now , they are all curled up and dangerous.

I wonder if it was supposed to be "Raised tactile surfaces used as detectable warnings", or just a bad slip-resistant surface...

BTW, I found this article.... good info.
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/env...sidewalks/chap4a.cfm
texasfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 was sponsored by Tom Harkin (D-IA) and signed into law by President George H. W. Bush.

Some requirements of the law are just ridiculous. This is a reasonable application of law. There are many productive citizens who are confined to wheel-chairs. Greater mobility will only make their limitation more bearable.
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Why do you hate this law?

You must not be a democrat. Or at least not a very good one if you are one.

Because you asked the wrong question.

The question was SUPPOSED to be:

Why do you hate disabled people?
So you need to get with it and stop asking appropriate questions and get with the program.
But to answer the real question, since you asked it:
he saw a situation where he felt the likelihood of anyone finding the ramped curb was extremely low, and saw a large expenditure of money that wouldn't result in any good to anyone.

And he thought, what a waste of money that could be better spent actually helping someone. Which is the kind of conversations one would have if they felt they were working within a budget, with limited resources. As opposed to a system that felt no guilt in running up more than 15 trillion dollars of debt.

Now someone else might come along and make a differing assessment of the likelihood that someone would actually ever wind up using that particular curb ramp. Sure. Good people can disagree.

But having well thought out conversations and making good judgments isn't the government way. Regulations, bureacracy, waste and fines is their way. But its ok. Because they mean well.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just feel lucky that you have sidewalks. Many places here do not.
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We benefited from the ADA because my wife used a wheelchair and I appreciate the attempt to level the playing field. However, I don't think the people who wrote up the requirements were disabled themselves.

For example, ever notice where the handicap accessible stall is in most public bathrooms................That's right, AT THE BACK OF THE ROOM. All well and good if you're being pushed by a helper but if you're alone in there, as most people in hetero relationships would be, it can be quite a workout wheeling to the back of the facility.

There you get there AND THE DOOR OPENS IN, just like a regular stall. Swell if it's one of those really oversized stalls, not so swell if it's built to the MINIMUM requirements. After a while my wife's attitude became "f**k it, let 'em look" (She was a feisty character and I still miss her)

Personally, I'd make it a requirement that all ADA qualified architects would have to negotiate a mockup of their designs while in a wheelchair with a cinderblock strapped to each leg which is what having MS is like.

And don't get me started on handicap parking abuses.
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RayOtton:

Personally, I'd make it a requirement that all ADA qualified architects would have to negotiate a mockup of their designs while in a wheelchair with a cinderblock strapped to each leg which is what having MS is like.

It should be part of their certification and license renewals.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RayOtton:

And don't get me started on handicap parking abuses.

I think handicap parking should be near a side door or a back door. All the spaces they want. As long as you plan to walk through the store anyway, what difference does it make?

Now if you want to talk about wheelchairs, crutches, powered chairs, and pregnant women, let them use the spots at the front door.

Some exceptions to this is expected so this isn't my final answer written in stone. Feel free to modify.

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

I think handicap parking should be near a side door or a back door. All the spaces they want. As long as you plan to walk through the store anyway, what difference does it make?

Now if you want to talk about wheelchairs, crutches, powered chairs, and pregnant women, let them use the spots at the front door.

Some exceptions to this is expected so this isn't my final answer written in stone. Feel free to modify.

handicap in back, but wheelchairs in front? Isn't that usually the same.... handicap may be in wheelchair.

Frankly, handicap parking doesn't bother me. It is just free exercise for the rest of us

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone who says this is a democrat, or republican or any other parties fault has never obviously been disabled, even just a little. I bet to you its Fun to ride around in a wheelchair in the hospital for a few min, I bet that is the most you have ever been in one if at all.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

handicap in back, but wheelchairs in front? Isn't that usually the same.... handicap may be in wheelchair.

Sometimes, but there are alot more people with handicap permits that just walk into the store. That's my point. There are people in wheelchairs and on crutches that don't have the right to use handicap parking. Gotta have that little sign on your rearview mirror!
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:. I bet to you its Fun to ride around in a wheelchair in the hospital for a few min, I bet that is the most you have ever been in one if at all.

Actually, I used to chase the dogs around the house in my wife's powerchair. That WAS fun. I'd say most of the marks on the walls were from me dicking around in her chair.

I'd also bet the 0-10 mph was better that a stock Fiero. Neck snapping acceleration when you set the controller up properly. That's about the only experience I want with an electric vehicle.

As you say though, I'm glad I could get OUT of the chair when I wanted to.

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Anyone who says this is a democrat, or republican or any other parties fault has never obviously been disabled, even just a little. I bet to you its Fun to ride around in a wheelchair in the hospital for a few min, I bet that is the most you have ever been in one if at all.

Steve

------------------

I speak English. Sue me.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock