Star Citizen by Ravant
Started on: 12-08-2013 02:20 AM
Replies: 27 (614 views)
Last post by: Fiero_Fan_88 on 06-05-2014 09:56 PM
Ravant

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Star Citizen - By Chris Roberts, the mastermind behind the Wing Commander series and Freelancer. Surpassed 30-million in crowd funding, and only crowd funding. Basically - it's a space combat sim with trading and role-playing elements. But it's really in-depth. Has support for various advanced joysticks, multiple joysticks, HOTAS (Hands-on throttle and stick) systems as well as the VR headset Oculus Rift. Graphically, it is gorgeous, it's really well-optimized, running at decent framerates even on my old gaming rig. Not sure how gameplay is yet, since the only thing released is the hangar module, but we should get dogfighting soon. Game is in development, slated for a 2015 full release.

Was wondering if anyone's heard of it yet, or has any interest. I for one have been waiting for this game, or a game like it, since roughly 2001. Got myself an Origin 300i, intend to cough up the extra cash for a Constellation ship, and hope to start an in-game corporation so we can all eventually collectively own their largest available ship.

In any case, here's the site.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MalleableList

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MalleableListSend a Private Message to MalleableListEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A new breath to the space sim mmo?
I'm in! I too have recently purchased an Origin, so I'm totally down for this.

Now you'll have to explain to my wife where my time will be going
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah, been watching it for over a year now waiting to see where it goes.
Fiero_Fan_88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks really fun!

Are they going to load it down with micro-transactions like every recent online PC game?
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks neat, also lead me to find there is a new game in the X series. Hopefully it comes out better than X reportedly has.
Ravant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Fan_88:

Looks really fun!

Are they going to load it down with micro-transactions like every recent online PC game?

Not likely. The only reason it seems micro-transaction-y at the moment is because they're still using the "Kickstarter" model to crowdfund the game prior to release.
Fiero_Fan_88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any one playing?

I think I may be ready to join in and pledge. Just debating what class I wan't to go to.

Just pledged for the Hornet F7C Ghost.

[This message has been edited by Fiero_Fan_88 (edited 03-12-2014).]

FieroSTETZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroSTETZClick Here to visit FieroSTETZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroSTETZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
after wasting a heap of time and money on mechwarrior online... I'm hesitant to get in early on another game. I think I'll wait until it's been going for a while :| before I give it a try
Fiero_Fan_88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ravant:

Not likely. The only reason it seems micro-transaction-y at the moment is because they're still using the "Kickstarter" model to crowdfund the game prior to release.

Looks like they are sticking with micro transactions....
Look at everything you can buy with UEC (United Earth Credits)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/voyager-direct/

Oh well, $140 in at the moment... I pledged $60 to Mech-Warrior Online before it released, not to happy with that purchase, I barely touch it.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post03-12-2014 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always had a problem with "spaceship wars" MMO's.
Great graphics & feel, and I like exploring, trading, etc., but the spaceship battles always seemed.....awkward.
At least coming from a flight sim background...

Heh, this made me think of the old game Desent.
Where up was down and in was out.

I'll be checking this out.
Thanx.
Hope springs eternal!
FieroSTETZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroSTETZClick Here to visit FieroSTETZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroSTETZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I spent a ton of money with them simply to advance the IP. I know there's a fierce fanbase for the franchise.. and many, like me, just want to see it flourish. I'm about a grand into the game between a few alt accounts, a few "incentives" via MC for friends to try the game, and my wife. My wife actually plays 2-3 days a week! If you want to, friend me in-game - same name! I'm an officer in the Windbourne Highlanders, and we've got a lot of people on our teamspeak all the time. This goes for anyone else, too! We've got units in NA, AUS, UK, and EU general (mostly german). wbhmercs.com, streaming on http://twitch.tv/fierostetz, and soon, http://twitch.tv/windbournehighlanders

Oh well, $140 in at the moment... I pledged $60 to Mech-Warrior Online before it released, not to happy with that purchase, I barely touch it.

[This message has been edited by FieroSTETZ (edited 03-13-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
last Wing Commander i played was Wing Commander 3: Heart of the Tiger

i remember as a kid loving Mark Hamil's acting and the storyline , I tried to replay it as an adult, cannot complete mission 1, i just fly in endless space forever. What am i doing so wrong?
Fiero_Fan_88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroSTETZ:
I spent a ton of money with them simply to advance the IP. I know there's a fierce fanbase for the franchise.. and many, like me, just want to see it flourish. I'm about a grand into the game between a few alt accounts, a few "incentives" via MC for friends to try the game, and my wife. My wife actually plays 2-3 days a week! If you want to, friend me in-game - same name! I'm an officer in the Windbourne Highlanders, and we've got a lot of people on our teamspeak all the time. This goes for anyone else, too! We've got units in NA, AUS, UK, and EU general (mostly german). wbhmercs.com, streaming on http://twitch.tv/fierostetz, and soon, http://twitch.tv/windbournehighlanders

Shot you a friend request. What time do you usually play/stream? I have less than 10 games under my belt so I'm terrible.
I bought the Atlas in the Alpha and didn't like it and the purchase future was being funky for me so I couldn't buy another Mech.
Was able to buy a new Mech today.
FieroSTETZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroSTETZClick Here to visit FieroSTETZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroSTETZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll create a new thread so as not to cause drag this one off topic. Sorry OP!

edit: link to new thread for MWO only //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/105866.html

BACK ON COURSE

[This message has been edited by FieroSTETZ (edited 03-13-2014).]

Fiero_Fan_88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroSTETZ:
BACK ON COURSE

Took these today while playing around in the Hangar with my new Ghost...everything maxed out.

[This message has been edited by Fiero_Fan_88 (edited 03-13-2014).]

kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Took these today while playing around in the Hangar with my new Ghost...everything maxed out.

Looks about right
DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
THAT LOOKS GORGEOUS!!!

so no one can help me on oldie WC3 huh?
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DanDamage:

THAT LOOKS GORGEOUS!!!

so no one can help me on oldie WC3 huh?

I checked gamefaqs and it said kill the patrols at each of the three waypoints. Did you fly to the waypoints or just wait for enemies to show?
Ravant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, but it's still not a released game. I'm still on the wait-and-see as far as microtransactions once the game actually releases.

We're on the verge of the dogfighting module getting released. Can't wait. Not sure if I'm going to take my 300i or Constellation out first. Seeing as it's likely only dogfighting, I'll stick with the 300i.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if they'll pizz everyone off and down the road, sell out for several $Billion...........OR was funded by crowdfunding ya know.
Ravant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I wonder if they'll pizz everyone off and down the road, sell out for several $Billion...........OR was funded by crowdfunding ya know.

It's Chris Roberts. Highly unlikely. He's been down the selling out road in the past, even to Microsoft (Freelancer?)... I think he's well and thoroughly done with that road. Is why he started his own company. To do it /his/ way this time, to make sure it's done correctly and fully.
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No skin off me since I don't do any sims or any games, but from what I read, it was less than a year ago, that the owner(s) of OR pretty much said the exact same thing. $$$$$$ can change a lot of ideologies and break a lot of promises.
Ravant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Except OR didn't get nearly the same amount of $$$ from crowdfunding that Star Citizen did to date. OR only got $2,437,429 from crowdfunding to date. Star Citizen? $42,032,334 and counting. That's over 40-million more from crowdfunding than Oculus Rift. And that's not showing any signs of slowing any time soon. 429,098 users confirmed and it hasn't even hit a truly playable pre-alpha stage yet.
Fiero_Fan_88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ravant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The more I watch, the more I want. This game...
Fiero_Fan_88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ravant:

The more I watch, the more I want. This game...

The dogfight module is supposed to release after PAX East/Late April

Debating if I want to upgrade from a single joystick to a Flight Stick/Throttle combo.
Ravant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The dogfight module is supposed to release after PAX East/Late April

Debating if I want to upgrade from a single joystick to a Flight Stick/Throttle combo.

PAX East just ended. It should be late this week, early next week the module comes out. I have a Saitek X52. I recommend it highly. 7 axis controls (Throttle, Pitch, Roll, Yaw, two rotary encoders for trim and a linear pot on the thumb), two POV hats on the joystick, one on the throttle, two-stage trigger on the index finger of the stick, covered missile button in the center, and really ergonomic for most sized hands. The macro software is decent as well, though I'm usually too lazy to set it up. (I had no choice when I set up for DCS: World. THAT is a complex flight sim.) Its default axis settings are precise enough for dogfighting, yet not so twitchy that you can't zero in for long-range shots on more arcadey flight games. I've had mine since 2005. I'm seriously debating upgrading to one of these X55's for Star Citizen. Having dual-throttle control to increase yaw rate would give me an advantage in dogfighting. Only problem is, nothing I would even remotely consider dogfighting in actually has dual engines.
Fiero_Fan_88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you haven't already, arena commander dropped.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock