Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  How to make your own chai latte mix for the Keurig???

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How to make your own chai latte mix for the Keurig??? by Monkeyman
Started on: 11-28-2013 11:17 PM
Replies: 4 (4141 views)
Last post by: TheDigitalAlchemist on 07-23-2014 05:06 PM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just bought myself a used Keurig machine (B60 Signature, whatever that means) for Christmas. I bought it mainly for chai latte although I might occasionally use it for tea or coffee. Since I'm being cost effective, I'd like to make my own powdered mix and use one of the reusable filters (which replaces the plastic, one time use K cups).

Does anyone know of a good (cheap) recipe to mix up for this? I know there are premixed powders for this but that's not much cheaper than the K cups.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the primary ingredients in chai latte is the tea and spices used. Since those are what typically needs to be hot, what you can do is go get one of those "multi-purpose" Keurig cups that are reusable. You can find them in the area of the store where they sell the Keurig products (often made by another third-party company).

Instead of applying coffee grounds into it, you would put the actual tea bags into it along with the spices and such. What you may actually look into doing would be to open the generic tea bags, put ingredients into that (spices and such thought, as likely not a good idea to mix the sugar or sugar substitute into the filtered cup). Then throw water through the Keurig like normal INTO a cup with your milk already in it. The B60 has an option for a very small cup (like 8 oz water) and that's what I would select. The idea is that the water will mix with everything in the filtered keurig cup and then go down into your bed of milk.

You would obviously have to experiment to get the consistency you like but you could do it this way. I'd also melt your sugar into simple syrup (over an oven range on a pan). It would mix better with the milk and filtered water. Probably the best way to do it would be have your milk bed, the simple syrup, and then mix the tea and spices directly through the multi-purpose Keurig cup, so that as soon as the hot water mixes with the milk and simple syrup you can stir immediately to mix.

Typically you froth milk onto it too for the hat but you won't be able to do that with a Keurig. You can cheat and just throw a squirt of whipped cream into it, but it's not entirely legit going that route.

I (un?)fortunately worked in a coffee shop for a few years while I was going through college.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 11-29-2013).]

Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before you start.

I had to "hack" my Reusable K cup from Keurig by cutting a single use cup (after using it so it has the hole on the bottom) and setting the basket in it.

As for the Latte. My wife tried several, but can't get the flavor right because the Keurig doesn't hold it long enough. The only way she can make it is to just brew the tea like normal.

The easiest way is to buy the Chai Latte K cups and use those, but they have a bad aspertine flavor.

Man, I should go make me one of those.

Brad

Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My wife bought me a Ekobrew to try, and it's worlds above the reusable K cup ones.

The one she got is stainless steel, and I don't have to swap parts out on the Keurig to use it.

I've been testing it for a few weeks, and it's not bad at all. I could even see myself using it instead of the K cups.

http://www.amazon.com/Ekobr...&keywords=B00859FH7O

Easy to clean, easy to use. You don't have to screw on a lid, or "hack" it to work. Well worth buying IMO.

Brad
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd grind my own. Instant storebought 'Chai' is about as close to'real chai' as a mcdonald's hamburger is to filet mignon.

Get a mortar and pestle and grind up yer clove cardamom and other spices. then toss it in a teabag and then toss that in the fillable k cup thang...
make it zen. The preparation is part of the experience.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock