Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Famous World's Worst Portrait Tattoo gets FIXED!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Famous World's Worst Portrait Tattoo gets FIXED! by tbone42
Started on: 02-22-2013 06:55 PM
Replies: 36 (1402 views)
Last post by: tbone42 on 06-11-2014 12:34 PM
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://shine.yahoo.com/heal...fixed-182335990.html

The man with the "world's worst portrait tattoo" finally got his happy ending on Thursday when he had the opportunity to fix the botched ink job of his late wife that had plagued him for so many years.

In 2007, on the one-year anniversary of his wife Mindy's death, Chad Stahl, 38, owner of Cutright Lawn and Landscaping, LLC, visited On the Edge Tattoo Studio in Bowling Green, Ohio to honor her with a portrait tattoo. The couple had been dating for 10 years, had 3 children, and were married for less than 3 months when Mindy died in a household fire.

Tattoo artist Dennis Foust inked the $450 portrait tattoo. "I had seen Faust's portrait work on his website and he even tattooed some of my in-laws with designs in honor of Mindy so I was confident going in," Stahl told Yahoo! Shine in his first media interview. "But when the swelling subsided, it didn't look like Mindy at all—her teeth looked evil." To add insult to injury, a friend had emailed him a link to a blog post titled "Worst Tattoo Ever" with a photo of Stahl's tattoo posted by a disgruntled On the Edge ex-employee. A few months later, Stahl returned to the studio and Faust tried to fix it, adding the words, "In loving memory of Mindy" but the damage was too great. "I was embarrassed to wear sleeveless shirts and didn't want anyone to see the tattoo but everyone in my town knew about it," says Stahl.

Foust told Shine: "This was my very first portrait tattoo done years ago. I've since moved forward, improved my skills, and my work has been featured in magazines."

Recently, a friend of Stahl's recommended that he visit Scott Versago at Empire Ink in Akron, Ohio, who had heard of the infamous tattoo and on Thursday Versago fixed it—for free. Vergaso wrote on his Facebook page: "I got to tackle the official '#1 worst portrait tattoo in the world' today. I'm sure you've all seen it a million times online, as had I. I couldn't believe my eyes when this guy walked in and showed me this project. I think my jaw literally hit the floor. He went on to tell me the story behind the portrait; He had just married his beautiful wife and not even three months afterwards she was killed in a horrible house fire accident leaving him to raise their three children alone. Shortly after he went to a local tattoo studio to memorialize his wife and was left with this abomination. He later returned to that studio for one more session, thinking that perhaps 'he had done something wrong in the healing of the tattoo' and they butchered it even more the second time. Finally, he drove all the way to my studio, Empire Ink, just to meet me and to see what his options were. Touched by his story, I gifted the entire project to him for free. Now he has closure and I have an amazing story to add to my portfolio!"

The fix-it job took just three hours. "I'm so happy and want everyone to see it," Stahl told Shine. "I'm going to enter the tattoo in a contest hosted by On the Edge to see if they recognize me."

I want to congratulate Scott for taking this on for FREE. We are proud of him, and as a member of an industry that should care about clients, I think the original "artist" needs to be dragged out into the streets and shot for what he did.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 02-22-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice ink
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best. "Cover-up." Ever.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Without at least some laser removal, I just don't even know how he did it. I have been doing this for 15 years, and coverups, no matter how good, cannot hide black. Black, as they say, "wins". Its in the exact same spot! Look at the neck under the chin.. he fixed it... he did not move over and start on a fresh piece of skin.. somehow, he polished that Turd without any lasering or anything. I am in awe, but I am also wondering how much is going to "come back through" in areas that were darker than they are now. In any case, it is a zillion times better, even if some of the old black does bleed back through.

I'm going up to personally congratulate him, its only a few hours away. Buy him a beer.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

Without at least some laser removal, I just don't even know how he did it. I have been doing this for 15 years, and coverups, no matter how good, cannot hide black. Black, as they say, "wins". Its in the exact same spot! Look at the neck under the chin.. he fixed it... he did not move over and start on a fresh piece of skin.. somehow, he polished that Turd without any lasering or anything. I am in awe, but I am also wondering how much is going to "come back through" in areas that were darker than they are now. In any case, it is a zillion times better, even if some of the old black does bleed back through.

I'm going up to personally congratulate him, its only a few hours away. Buy him a beer.

It has been 5 years of fading and the advancement of white has helped, not to mention Scott has mad skills.
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn good save.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2013 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

It has been 5 years of fading and the advancement of white has helped, not to mention Scott has mad skills.

I can agree withyour statements (Fading..yeah, maybe a bit) Tattoos do not fade THAT much on their own in 5 years.. 20 to 30, with lots of sun exposure, yeah. His before picture is the one that circulated arond the internet several years ago... I wish he had taken a pic right before he started to give us an idea of how much fading actually occurred.

But I think more than anything its the mad skills.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 08-31-2013).]

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also want to point out that this was considered, according to the article, the "world's worst tattoo." But anyone who looked at this thread knows its not even close to the worst:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/090930.html

And I have seen worse yet, unfortunately.

theBDub

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That picture is famous! I'm SO happy it got fixed.
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Give him an extra handshake and congrats from me too. Thanks for sharing!
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I also want to point out that this was considered, according to the article, the "world's worst tattoo." But anyone who looked at this thread knows its not even close to the worst:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/090930.html

And I have seen worse yet, unfortunately.

Hahaha... I was looking at some of the pictures from the link within your link, and this one kind of stood out to me. Not only is it an absolutely horrible tattoo, but I'm assuming that this picture was just taken after it was finished.

Look at all that **** on the floor? Looks like a greasy paper plate, and then there's some **** further down... doesn't look like this guy vacuums ever... and I'm assuming this is his house, which means he does all his work in his house... pretty nasty.

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Hahaha... I was looking at some of the pictures from the link within your link, and this one kind of stood out to me. Not only is it an absolutely horrible tattoo, but I'm assuming that this picture was just taken after it was finished.

Look at all that **** on the floor? Looks like a greasy paper plate, and then there's some **** further down... doesn't look like this guy vacuums ever... and I'm assuming this is his house, which means he does all his work in his house... pretty nasty.

Got the dreaded "red x" but i think you meant this one?

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A happy chapter in a tragic story
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on your 7900th post!!

tbone42

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2013 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
T, I thought that you were not going to show that pic of me! I showed you that in private!
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Congrats on your 7900th post!!

Thanks! I'm trying to keep up with Rumor, but dang, since he changed his name he has been absolutely prolific.

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some of those tats look like they were done with a sharpened paper clip attached to a tape player motor.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

Some of those tats look like they were done with a sharpened paper clip attached to a tape player motor.

They don't even look THAT good. It is some of the most horrific stuff I have ever seen. I shudder every time I see it, but you know what, it is really important that those kinds of unrealistic, untrained fools are out there to make me look like Rembrandt. Otherwise, dudes like Scott would get all the business and I would be picking my nose.

I knew a long time ago, I would never be "the best". It did not sting as bad as I thought it would.. there really can only be one "best" in anything, but that does not mean everyone should just give up and not try. I have had a bunch of breakthroughs every couple of years, what i do increases almost exponentially. It obviously does not come over night, but most of the things I did in the first five years are just not as savvy and good as the things I have done in the last five years. And I am always learning, always have room to improve. You start patting yourself on the back, you have lost focus. I will tell you, I am working on "best/nicest shop".. and that goal is definitely attainable.. I have had plenty of industry professionals already tell me "Whoa!"

Scott is riding the goodwill and fame of the tattoo he fixed, but if you ask him, he will not tell you he is "the best". He might even ask you about things like style and technique, because someone with his considerable portaiture skills may not have a clue how to compose a good biomechanical or organic infinity piece. He would likely rattle off 20 names, most of which are not "specialty" artists, but guys who do a lot of things, and do them well.

For my money, the "best: overall" has got to be Juan Salgado from puerto rico. Guy Aitchison (my former "the best") pointed him out to me, and I love it when someone that is widely considered the "world's best" by so many says.. have you seen THIS dude? Juan can do it all, any style, any size, and his color theory is second to none. I learn things every time I look at a tattoo he does.

There are a lot of referrals happening in the business right now. This guy does that good, this gal does THAT good. Often times, artists who have no morals and no qualms taking people's money (like the fool in green bay above..) cannot conceive turning away the money for a tattoo because they cannot do that style as well as someone else they know. It happens all the time amongst those in the know. If someone needs horror art or rock n roll poster style, I send them to Chad Wells. If they want a portrait, I recommend Tom Renshaw, transcendentalism/infinity I send them to Guy or his wife Michelle (snowflakes, too). Japanese seekers MUST get their work from Paul Jeffries in Calgary. Animals get sent to Mike DeVries, but I try damn hard to keep those for myself, where I am fighting the good fight for recognition for my dog portraits. I just love dogs, and it shows.

I am glad to say that after 15 years, I am known for what i do well, too. Anything with bright color, Dog Portraits/Animal Realism, Graphic symbols/team logos, and cover ups. Like Juan mentioned above, I can DO anything succesfully, but its not hard to recognize what i do best. There are so many of us now, we start serving a region. Scott is going to transcend that for a while because of the internet fame he is picking up. I know he's going to take this all in stride, but I bet there is a time coming that he is going to wish maybe he did not have as much of the attention for that re-work of the portrait.

I'm babbling again. I just love what i do, and love people who are good-will ambassadors to an art form that has long been misunderstood and marginalized by people with no knowledge of the field.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2013 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know that I have mentioned it before, but I do now believe that I may leave this one up to you... or some rendering of this poster.

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

.....I'm babbling again...

Please, babble on. Its always great to hear someone who knows what they're talking about talk about something they love.
PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I know that I have mentioned it before, but I do now believe that I may leave this one up to you... or some rendering of this poster.

There were a couple "rosies" in my family, so the design is near and dear to my heart. You can always customize her. Rosie could have her own tattoos, or be holding a distributor.. you can do some very subtle design changes that will not alter the main theme, but would make her uniquely yours. Obviously the pose and clothes and face are important, but there is room to customize. Or,like in the world of car restoration, you could keep her "all original" and that would be awesome, too. All you need to do is give me a good, clean piece of skin and let me do it large enough that we don't scimp on the details. It would be a pleasure, Mr. Kania,when the time comes.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2013 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow. Scott just liked my business facebook page. *blush*
GT-X

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are you doing this weekend tbone?
I'll be headed your way...

~Tyler
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2013 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did just take a job that will require travel. It may be a while before I am in your neck of the woods my friend, but I am definitely serious about you laying this one on for me. I am working on getting my Grandfather's unit numbers from WWII.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT-X:

What are you doing this weekend tbone?
I'll be headed your way...

~Tyler

I have one appointment scheduled for Friday afternoon.. otherwise my whole weekend is generally pretty free, Tyler. You bringing me some Skyline?
GT-X

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Skyline or anything else, you're choice this time.

PM sent

~Tyler
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have Scott (from above) working at our shop next week on the 27th and 28th. He's already booked up. Took about ten minutes.

He came down because of a convention scheduling snafu.. one I was low man on the totem pole for. He had liked our facebook page a while back, which was awesome, but it was really amazing he offered to drive down and do this. I get to pick his brain a bit, can't wait. And then I finally get my tattoo from him.

All this right after I see Tony Bennett on Sunday. Gonna be a good week.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We have Scott (from above) working at our shop next week on the 27th and 28th. He's already booked up. Took about ten minutes.

Scott who? Does he have a website and do you have a link?

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's Scott Versago.. he did that re-do tattoo you see at the beginning of the thread.. and many other really fine works.

Shop website:
http://www.empire-ink.com/

gallery website: (facebook)

www.facebook.com/versago/photos_albums

Anyhow, just damn glad he's coming to my shop, but I also feel like when I was in the military and I had an inspection coming... everything has to look its very best!

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 08-21-2013).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
see I don't get why people do portrait tattoos on them selves.... Unless you pay a TON of money they always look like crap
PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

see I don't get why people do portrait tattoos on them selves.... Unless you pay a TON of money they always look like crap

Depends on definition of a "ton of money". Scott's rate is $150/hr.. usually 5-6 hours for a good session on a black and gray portrait. I have spent waaay more on Fieros and parts in my day than tattoos... and I know he won't just mail it in.

You should go to the best. Always do your research, look at photos and at tattoos face to face. Make a vacation out of it, and even if it is expensive nobody can take it away from you. It's fun, collecting them... my next one might be taking me to Puerto Rico.

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Crazy first day at the shop for Mr. Versago. He drove all morning from Akron to get to my shop near Cincinnati. Rented a truck to bring all of his equipment. We wheeled his toolboxes and other stuff in and let him be to set up. It got very quiet in his office so I came around the corner to see what was up and he was just sitting there, staring at his toolbox intently. "What's up?" I ask. He says "I left my toolbox keys in Akron."

Shoot.

So the two choices are drill it out or call a locksmith. We call the 'smith, he comes out. And has to drill the lock anyhow.

Finally things get underway around 245... his clients thankfully showed up a half hour late, just in time for him to get at his equipment and then he is off and running.

You see, he goes into "The Zone"... like no one I have ever seen. So much so, that after he is finished with the 6.5 hour tattoo session, he just sits and stares into the distance of his mind until he comes back a few minutes later. I tell him the work he did was beautiful, and only then do I figure that he is staring at the art he just made with new eyes.. not the eyes that controlled his actions while working, but different eyes that observe instead of direct.

In other words, this guy channels something when he works, and is not completely "there" while doing his work. This phenomenon is not unknown to me, I have "come back" after a few long sessions myself.. you get in the groove and there is no more intention anymore, just creating and action. Actually, it is something I have been theorizing about for a long time- it's a form of performance, and there is a performer/audience dynamic. He LIVES for the work he does to be seen, appreciated, and talked about. In a way, he is just an extension of the work he does. When he creates something masterful, he gets so stoked by the reviews and compliments, it makes him strive even harder the next time to top what he did and get more rave reviews... he does not drink. He does not do drugs. He gets high on what he does, daily. This guy is not normal, but in a very good way.

More later, with pics!

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This has been such a positive experience for me. I feel like some osmosis was going on there... got to work on a portrait of my own and I was inspired to work hard and and it really shined. Also, I have never had anyone work with me, under me, or around me show me such absolute respect. And although he busted my balls pretty good here and there, and vice versa, but it was only in the most good natured ways.

This was a real nice bit of serendipity for me, I am sorry to see it over.

Seriously, I will re-install pip soon and post pics. Got some good ones.
normsf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for normsfClick Here to visit normsf's HomePageSend a Private Message to normsfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Seriously, I will re-install pip soon and post pics. Got some good ones.

Hello, photobucket works well for me here. Im just not smart enough for PIP apparently, LOL.

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hopefully here is some photos to see..

First is the show poster he made for the event:

Here's Versago working in my shop:

We did not get a photo of the Gal's tattoo, but here are the other two he did. First is Woody Heyes, legendary OSU coach..

And finally, my tattoo, Gen. John B. Gordon, Army of Northern Virginia.. (Cmon, you had to expect it was a Civil War thing..)

Yeah, WE BAD!

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Crazy first day at the shop for Mr. Versago. He drove all morning from Akron to get to my shop near Cincinnati. Rented a truck to bring all of his equipment. We wheeled his toolboxes and other stuff in and let him be to set up. It got very quiet in his office so I came around the corner to see what was up and he was just sitting there, staring at his toolbox intently. "What's up?" I ask. He says "I left my toolbox keys in Akron."

Shoot.

So the two choices are drill it out or call a locksmith. We call the 'smith, he comes out. And has to drill the lock anyhow.

Finally things get underway around 245... his clients thankfully showed up a half hour late, just in time for him to get at his equipment and then he is off and running.

You see, he goes into "The Zone"... like no one I have ever seen. So much so, that after he is finished with the 6.5 hour tattoo session, he just sits and stares into the distance of his mind until he comes back a few minutes later. I tell him the work he did was beautiful, and only then do I figure that he is staring at the art he just made with new eyes.. not the eyes that controlled his actions while working, but different eyes that observe instead of direct.

In other words, this guy channels something when he works, and is not completely "there" while doing his work. This phenomenon is not unknown to me, I have "come back" after a few long sessions myself.. you get in the groove and there is no more intention anymore, just creating and action. Actually, it is something I have been theorizing about for a long time- it's a form of performance, and there is a performer/audience dynamic. He LIVES for the work he does to be seen, appreciated, and talked about. In a way, he is just an extension of the work he does. When he creates something masterful, he gets so stoked by the reviews and compliments, it makes him strive even harder the next time to top what he did and get more rave reviews... he does not drink. He does not do drugs. He gets high on what he does, daily. This guy is not normal, but in a very good way.

More later, with pics!

Heh.. this post got some attention from other sources and got re-posted on Inked.com or somewhere. No credit, of course, to the author.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock