Started on: 02-06-2013 01:18 PM
Replies: 9 (289 views)
Last post by: aqua-man on 08-08-2014 05:08 PM
Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2013 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This article sums up the 100 years of history that the US Income Tax very well. I have little more to add.

http://www.humanevents.com/...s-of-the-income-tax/

Excerpt:

Sunday, February 3, is the 100th anniversary of the ratification of the Sixteenth Amendment, which makes it the one hundredth birthday of the income tax. It has grown rather ill-tempered in its dotage.

Americans for Tax Reform commemorated the occasion by publishing a few fun facts about the income tax. Among other interesting statistics, the initial top tax bracket was only 7 percent, and it didn’t kick in until income reached a whopping $11.6 million in 2013 dollars. Only 358,000 people had to fill out 1040 forms at first, because the standard family deduction was an adjusted $93,000.

Over the past hundred years, the tax code has swelled from 400 pages to almost 74,000. The top rate is 39.6 percent; add in state and local taxes, and you’ve got the government soaking up over half of every marginal dollar earned by the Evil Rich. And the top bracket crashes down on those who earn over $450k, which is the new functional definition of a “millionaire.” Every new tax – from the income tax itself, to the Alternative Minimum Tax and its prospective stepchild, the “Buffett Rule” – is sold as a small levy on the vast wealth of millionaires. The AMT was only supposed to affect a couple of hundred people when it was implemented in 1969, but now it’s on the verge of grabbing 50 million taxpayers, if it’s not “fixed.” In the early years of the income tax, Americans were likewise assured that it would only slip a few dollars from the bulging wallets of the wealthy.

Allowing the government to sink its feeding tubes into the veins of American income has fueled astonishing government growth. That first itty bitty tax levy brought in a paltry $16.6 billion in revenue, adjusted for the past century of inflation. Today the income tax brings in $2.7 trillion. Government inevitably grows to fill, and exceed, the space made available for it.

Much more at the link.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2013 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I was living in upstate NY and working, Between Fed inc tax, state income tax, property taxes, FICA, Medicare, sales taxes and all the "hidden taxes" (excise taxes, gasoline taxes) I estimated that the taxman took about 50% of my income. It still wasn't enough for the taxman. The current POTUS still wants more and still hasn't submitted a budget in four years that even his party would vote on. We all are just another executive order away to pay more in some form to pay more "fair share" to the taxman for income redistribution.

When I retired, I found I could live comfortable in Florida at 1/2 my pre retirement income.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would you give your money to be managed by a bloated wasteful lying cheating spending addict known for consistent criminal behavior?

The answer is Yes.

Because some of us are stupid and some of us are cowards and some just don't care as long as the cable tv and internet pron still works.

Some people consider paying tax to this government as unpatriotic at best.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When speaking of how we came so far, so fast in this country, Mr. Harvey describes the hardworking spirit of the American pioneer, manifesting destiny, blazing trails west, and not expecting pay for services not rendered. Supporting himself and his own.

But..

He did not mention 89 years of slave labor, nor the genocide of native American peoples and theft of their property.

No, the early pioneering American was not some hardworking model to look up to, they did a lot of things wrong back then and I just have a hard time looking into the past for answers when the status quo was slavery, murder and theft. Here , Paul is guilty of re-writing history or ignoring REALLY important facts to try to make his point. A trusted voice can be just as erroneous as an unproven one, trust is often misplaced.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 08-07-2014).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The history of humanity is murder, deception, slavery, theft, conquest, pillage, rape.........
Deal with it.
We are getting a little better......
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

When speaking of how we came so far, so fast in this country, Mr. Harvey describes the hardworking spirit of the American pioneer, manifesting destiny, blazing trails west, and not expecting pay for services not rendered. Supporting himself and his own.

But..

He did not mention 89 years of slave labor, nor the genocide of native American peoples and theft of their property.

No, the early pioneering American was not some hardworking model to look up to, they did a lot of things wrong back then and I just have a hard time looking into the past for answers when the status quo was slavery, murder and theft. Here , Paul is guilty of re-writing history or ignoring REALLY important facts to try to make his point. A trusted voice can be just as erroneous as an unproven one, trust is often misplaced.

You're also dwelling on only the negatives. EVERYONE did those same things, at the same time back then. The difference is that we changed those things... few countries solved their own problems the way we did. I also like how even though our country wasn't technically formed until 1776, we seem to also get blamed for everything that Spain, Holland, England, and France did in and around South and Central America, the islands, etc. All the other countries came in and totally devastated the native indian populations. In the United States, we at the very least let them keep some land. I think you're being unreasonably harsh about our history.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So many people like to talk about slavery in the US as though this was the only nation to ever do it and it was only whites enslaving blacks.
Open your damn eyes. That horrible history includes a war fought in part to end that practice 150 years ago.

The wealthy owned slaves. Those "early pioneering Americans" weren't slave owners for the most part. But I guess recognizing any individual achievement would run counter to The Narrative™.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 08-07-2014).]

aqua-man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aqua-manSend a Private Message to aqua-manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

But..

If you look at this than you have described almost all countries and societies. Most countries still practice this type of behavior today but WE the US are trying to do the right thing now.

Earl

Earl

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock