Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Starting a Business in Ohio.. an Odyssey of paperwork, fees, and other madness (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Starting a Business in Ohio.. an Odyssey of paperwork, fees, and other madness by tbone42
Started on: 05-11-2012 01:02 AM
Replies: 235 (3687 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 07-08-2020 08:38 PM
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

Even if I think "Atlas Shrugged" was one of the worst literary pieces of trash ever created?
Thanks Willie!

Yep, even people with crappy taste can be Capitalists.

Brad
IP: Logged
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Yep, even people with crappy taste can be Capitalists.

Brad

Why I oughta...!
heybjorn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hold on, tbone and williegoat. Isn't " literary piece of thrash " a contradiction in terms?
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Even if I think "Atlas Shrugged" was one of the worst literary pieces of trash ever created?
Thanks Willie!

Pretty ironic from a guy currently pursuing the capitalist dream of success....

Just sayin'....
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Taijiguy, let's give tbone credit for being willing to learn.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

Pretty ironic from a guy currently pursuing the capitalist dream of success....

Just sayin'....

Its a fictional story, one that I did not care for, not a guide for business success. And its pretty hard to believe it is written by a woman considering the subserviant sexual themes in the book.. Not Irony, just not my cup of tea. At all. .. besides that, I don't look down on people based on their wealth and status, and that book clearly does. I may not be running a charity, but most of my clients are in the lower income brackets. Tattooing is not railroad baroning.

My profession is rooted in and supported by everyday people.. I won't be looking down my nose at them anytime soon as if they are less than me for not owning a business... thats just crazy.

I digress... this thread is about starting a business. I have a meeting with the bank about the loan today and I have to pick my dog up from the vet around the same time... I wonder if Elvis would like to sit in with me and the bank manager?

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 05-16-2012).]

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tattooing is not railroad baroning.

But you have hopes, right, tbone?

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

But you have hopes, right, tbone?

Maybe not railroads, but "Baron Von Tbone" sounds good.

Here is how I am gonna lay the floor plans out.

The piercing room is kind of in the middle of upstairs and downstairs..it was a backporch-type addition, with windows on the back. And theres a toilet up there too for some reason... at least thats one drain I won't have to run, but I will still have to get hot water up there.

Will need to put a sink and drain for each station, so one for me, two in the open artists area, and one in the sterile room. The open area will have a viewing window for the sterile room so people can SEE but not touch... which is the safest policy.

I have two walls I will need to tear down, but the window area for the sterile room is already cut out, just need to get the glass for it. Same with the window area on my office, there is a door there right now, so a little drywall fiddling around and a window and I am set there, too.

Keep in mind I have an entire upstairs portion that is unfinished as well the same size as this floorplan minus the pirecing area. LOTS of storage, but its trashed.

The meeting with the bank guy went well today, he just wants me to put together two more pieces of my projection for the business plan, email them in, and thats as much as I can do until the loan gets accepted or denied. After that, we send in an appraiser, possibly renegotiate the offer depending on their findings. Then as soon as I get approval, I get an inspector in there just in case the place is gonna crumble, and the last step is an attorney to look over the purchase contact and sign on the dotted line.

I started looking at this place on the last day of april... I have done all the prep work I can in two weeks flat. I don't know if that's some kind of record, but the bank is extremely pleased with the rate I am moving at and said they have not seen too many people as prepared for this as I am for their first business loan. That was comforting at the very least.

May not be updating for a few days until i actually hear something more, all I get to do now is wait.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 05-16-2012).]

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tbone42

8477 posts
Member since Apr 2010
... and hope I get lucky!

tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2012 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ohio bites! This state is not business friendly.

Think you have troubles establishing a for profit? Try a not-for-profit.

In most states (that make any sense) a property tax exemption is automatic when a corporation is established as a 501c3. With Ohio we had to file an application to the state through the county. Our county told us that since the previous owner had let some taxes pile up we would need to pay those taxes to a certain point. They gave us a dollar figure and we paid it. The state denied our application based upon unpaid back taxes!!! WTF! We have letters from the county showing what we were told to pay and a cancelled check for the amount to the state. We have filed an appeal and are still waiting for the Ohio Tax Commissioner Board hearing. Mind you this all started back in 2010 and we are STILL awaiting an appeal hearing. We recently received a letter from the county prosecuting attorney stating we were going to be foreclosed upon for taxes. This took a few phone calls. Had to point out to the county that during the process of appeal they are not permitted to assess additional taxes or take any action on the property. They supposedly had no idea and had to call the state to confirm. Additionally it does not help that the county treasurer was recently dismissed from his position for failure to do his job for several years. Gheeze!!!!

http://www.zanesvilletimesr...t-from-commissioners

[This message has been edited by tutnkmn (edited 05-17-2012).]

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
.. I have to say, waiting is killing me.

I want to hit that ground running, but with the financing for the building up in the air, I am freaking out.

Something happened at one of the loan interviews with the chief guy at the bank I thought was... funny/interesting/a little scary.

Truth of the matter is, without my wife there is no way we could swing this loan right now. She got a big promotion and pay raise back in December, and she makes as much by herself that we used to together a few years back. The banker who probably has 40 years experience doing this was quite impressed by HER portfolio. He says to me:
"Its quite impressive how much your wife is willing to help you in this business endeavor. She is *very supportive*"
And when he said that , his right arm came up and his hand clenched into a fist, and his teeth ground a little bit to emphasize the statement. He had an almost "possessed" look in his eyes when he said that.

It took restraint not to laugh.. after all, I am trying to convince this dude he needs to loan me $40k for the next 10-15 years, so laughing would not have been the best idea. Still, the look with the hand movement, it was almost emotionally charged. I can make a lot of guesses what that was about.. maybe his wife, or many wives out there for that matter, would not normally co-sign a loan. Maybe they don't believe in their husbands, but that's the thing I have been blessed the most by in my marriage is having a wife that backs me up 100%. If any of you fellas started a business, what was your spousal support like? Just curious.

They started working on the loan on Thursday morning.. I hope I get "the call" by Wednesday.. usually anything under $50k, and the bank supposedly knows pretty quickly if its a 'yea' or 'nay'. Man, I hope its a 'yea'.. I cannot wait to get this thing rolling.

Took this pic the other day while I was still elbow deep in the business plan..

LIKE A BOSS!

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 05-21-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Is straightening a bent frame a good idea?

Not to hyjack the thread so just a short answer. Yes, if you put it back in specs. With unibodies, just about any kind of hit knocks things out of alignment and you need to anchor the car and pull it with the frame puller in order to get anything to line up. Core supports are considered frame and you cant have a front hit without tweeking it. If you dont pull it, you never get a hood, fenders or doors to line back up. They will not total a car that needs $100 frame pull. Manufacturers publish a book with exact measurements of every angle of every part of a cars substructure. You can theoreticly get more accurate alignments than the factory did at assembly if you measure carefully. They measure with an allowance one way or another and you can get it dead on.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rogergarrison

49601 posts
Member since Apr 99
I just have a question for you. Its great in these times you starting a business on your own and wish you luck. My question is since this is apparently your first business, why are you starting out by buying a building ? Wouldnt it make a lot more sense to rent or lease for at least a year or two to see how it goes first ? You can always move into or buy the building later and you wont have that killer initial expense. Id feel a lot more comfortable starting out with $45,000 backup in the bank, than spending every cent to own a building you just could possibly be stuck with in a few years and unable to sell. Just something to think about.
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I could be wrong Roger, but I think the owner of the building probably isn't looking to rent or lease it from what tbone explained.

Either way, I think $41,000 is a pretty decent price for some commerical real estate. Especially since it will most likely appreciate in value as more business starts to return to his area.

This is an inspiring thread Tbone! I would love to own my own small business someday, and while I may not appreciate tatoo work, I wish you all the best in your endeavors!
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I just have a question for you. Its great in these times you starting a business on your own and wish you luck. My question is since this is apparently your first business, why are you starting out by buying a building ? Wouldnt it make a lot more sense to rent or lease for at least a year or two to see how it goes first ? You can always move into or buy the building later and you wont have that killer initial expense. Id feel a lot more comfortable starting out with $45,000 backup in the bank, than spending every cent to own a building you just could possibly be stuck with in a few years and unable to sell. Just something to think about.

This is a great question, one I have given a lot of thought for the last couple months.

Most of the rental locations are $550+ for even the smallest, most ridiculously run down rentals. All of them will need a lot of my money (as landlords have already specifically said they wont put any of theirs in to make it work) to make it tattoo-compliant and client-friendly.

Now, along comes a building that is almost ready to move in and open within only a week or two of really light, inexpensive remodeling work on my part. I can do all the work myself. And when I am done spending money on the place, I reap the rewards of owning what I spent my money on instead of later walking away after paying to improve someone else's structure.

The mortgage, even for a ten year loan will be under $380. I cannot compete with that low of a cost by renting.

Now, the building is perfect for me. If the financing does not work out, I will make an offer to rent-to-own the place, and the owners already seem willing. I will be in this building one way or another, I bet. But yes, payments would be signifigantly lower in this town for a building you own. And the location is much better, too, then any of the rentals available except one that is trashed and would require 2-3k of my cash just to get it up to snuff. Instead, I will spend 3-4k on a downpayment.

If the business does not do well, I will still own the downtown location and be able to rent it out for the cost of the mortgage easily enough to pay for itself.. and still beat any landlord's prices in town.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tbone42

8477 posts
Member since Apr 2010
Just got my "articles of organization" of my LLC from the Sec of State today. That was basically me sending them $125 and them sending me a piece of paper. That's a pretty good deal for Ohio, methinks. Sent it off to my guys from the bank, and now I *officiallY* have nothing I can do but wait to hear back from them.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, I agree your monthly payout will be lower..it usually is. The downside, like I said is IF you dont work out you do still own the building. You still have to pay property taxes and utilities even if its empty. I rent out half of my building which is 5 large rooms and 2 bathrooms and prob 2500 sq ft of storage space. While its empty, its costing me an average of $400 @ month. Everything is on separate meters. I just rented it out for $650 @ month plus utilities after being empty over 3 years. Its not that easy to rent these days. Im on a prime location about 50 yards from the citys downtown major intersection.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-21-2012 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good luck man.. didn't read the whole thing.. I'll do that when I don't have a headache..
I really need to look into all of this..
not a tat shop... I'm no artist..
but I've watched my wife get promised better pay, only to get pink slips..
sometimes here own doing.. but rely'n on others for a pay check isn't the best way to look out for #1..
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not my first Rodeo, Todd.. back in 2000-2002 I owned a business and had to make quarterly tax estimates.. it sucks, but if you don't expect to make much the first year, you don't pay much. Not like poor Brad who had to make a quarterly estimate before even opening the business.. thats just crazy. I'm already registered, too.

The IRS tried that crap on me too. I did that one year. Last 30 years, I just totalled things up at the end of the tax year..once... like everyone else and sent them a check. Never got another complaint from them. I was always a small Sole Proprietorship if that made any difference. Maybe they would have been more persistant if I had a bunch of employees.

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
..waiting...

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep after it! I think you have your ducks in a row.
PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2012 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just heard back from the branch manager with an update. They have the full package of things they needed from me for approval, so there is no more information I have to shag down before they make their decision. (You know, "they"..) Anyhow, he said he expects approval/denial hopefully by tomorrow, maybe on Monday.

Hopefully by then I will know exactly what is going to happen and be moving toward getting open, be it rental or starting an appraisal and inspection for the purchase... waiting has obviously been whipping me up lately, in good and bad ways. I hate hanging there in Limbo with no answers.

You know, tomorrow IS one of those doomsday dates.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2012 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fail.

They get 700 billion in golden parachutes, I cannot get a loan for a measley $41k even though we make more than that in a year.

I guess we will try another bank on Tuesday, but not sure what to say otherwise.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2012 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's just one guy, don't give up.

(besides, he's probably still pissed about that tattoo his wife got, that time they were separated)

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 05-26-2012).]

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2012 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put out a message to the building owner.. give me a year, maybe two, as a rent to own and I will take the middlemen (Loan underwriters) out of the equation, as it looks like no one is wanting to play ball. Hope to hear back from them by Monday to hear what kind of deal they would be willing to make.

I am still a bit miffed that we can not get this loan... its less than a year's pay and would be roughly 10% of our earnings (which we put more than that xtra into our mortgage principle now) monthly. We could afford it, I am having a hard time understanding why we did not get it, and underwriters did not give me a good reason, or "what I could do to make it work.."

If we had gone in to finance a comparably priced vehicle (like a used nice hummer) with a trade in, we would have been approved. Not sure why the business loan is so difficult, but will keep trying.

Edit: It took so long to get word of our rejection that i got bored and went back to the restaurant doing four dinner services a week to save up even MORE money for a down payment. You guys have no idea how hard it has been to resist spending it, on say, a paint job for the fiero. Or an engine swap. Or both.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 06-01-2012).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2012 04:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could try to do it as a second on your house.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2012 05:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy smokes!!
Good luck with the building owner. Maybe they've actually got a little bit of vision...
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2012 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some people get instant approval for a $75,000 Escalade loan as apartment renters, no savings, 6 kids, unmarried and no job. Figure that one out.

I think your idea of rent to own temporarily is a great idea...your not instantly on the hook for all that money. You can walk away without losing your azz.

Id never start up a new business with a second mortgage on your home. It dont work out and you lose everything. Do the business completely separate. You might also see if you can find an investor. There are lots of people out there with money to burn if they think they will make anything with it.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 06-01-2012).]

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Meeting with the building owners tomorrow to discuss rent-to-own options.. find out what they want, they find out what we want and see if we can come to agreement or I walk away. It would be a shame, the place is damn near perfect for my needs and a good location.

*fingers crossed*
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck
You've got a bunch of Fiero owners pulling for you
(and you know how influential we Fiero owners can be)
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dropped off my business plan, portfolio and statements with the owners today. It's in their hands. If they want to make some money now, I think they will go for it. If they want to hold out they could find it does not get bought for a year or more, that's a $4k deposit and another $4800 they could have had in their hands. We shall see soon enough.

Now I gotta go work.. time to prep for dinner service.

*fingers still crossed*
PFF
System Bot
Ang84Indy

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ang84IndySend a Private Message to Ang84IndyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck, I hope it works out!
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ang84Indy:

Good luck, I hope it works out!

I'll let you know when it opens maybe we can get some picks of our fieros out front with Jim and post them.
Ang84Indy

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 04:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ang84IndySend a Private Message to Ang84IndyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good. I'd have to get them running, right?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 05:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...We shall see soon enough.

*fingers still crossed*

Mine too.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

The IRS tried that crap on me too. I did that one year. Last 30 years, I just totalled things up at the end of the tax year..once... like everyone else

I did this two years ago (I think it was a 949 form?), & this year they sent me a complaint that they didn't see my filling for March.

My tax preparer suggested that anytime I'm going to owe in more than $1000, I'm required to make quarterly payments.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Mine too.

X3
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2012 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Waiting...

I have a feeling I hear tomorrow (Wednesday). We'll see.
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2012 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ted,

I noticed you didn't have a place setup for "office". Reception is fine. You have a private tattoo place is nice too. Take it from me though, a place to conduct business is a MUST. You will need a PC, desk, filling cabinets etc. You can get behind on paperwork if you get overloaded keeping the doors open (business) quite easily. I wouldn't want a messy work area out in public view and certainly not where you will be conducting your work. Just something to consider.

Sorry to hear about the loan. I can't say that I am surprised. Small business loans can be rather difficult to get. Most small business fail in the first 5 years. Your wife's salary usually means very little in the way of securing the loan. Also making more per year isn't usually what is considered. They go off of debt to income ratio. While you may make more that the loan, they subtract a certain amount based upon what they think you require to live. For example you want 41,000$. Your wife makes 50,000$. They assume it cost XX,XXX$. This number can vary, but it isn't based upon poverty level and also factors in any applicable reoccurring debt that you have. I can't imagine a household that operates on less than $1000 a month. If you take that as a baseline. That would put your wife's ability to pay (figuring 25% taxes on her income) at $25,000. I assume that their basic cost of living is much higher than $1000 a month. I budget my household at $2000 a month and I REALLY feel like I am scrimping. Then they throw your credit scores into the mix. Also any seizable assets. They also factor things like viability of the business and potential revenue. I am sure they consider your particular line of work "unconventional". They probably don't know you from Adam or care about you either, so saying no is the smart bet for them. A real shame too.

I personally like the idea of rent to own, just for your own safety. We REALLY got lucky in the building we purchased, but we are on a 10 year 'lease-to-own" as well. We now have the money to pay it off in full, in cash, but haven't yet. 1 we are concerned about the economy. 2 maybe we will want to move if we outgrow this place inside of the next 5 years. 3 we haven't explored the tax burdens associated with the purchase of this building (possibly want to buy it privately and lease it to ourselves). 4 we might want to get a loan and have this as an asset for a credit line. Really a lot of other thoughts processes and having as much in operating capital hasn't been a bad thing. Other than our building we operate as a 100% debt free company. We look at the building debt as something we can walk away from and just forfeit all of our lease payments. Our assets are probably close to the 1M, not bad for $50,000 line of credit and 4.5 years time. While I don't think you are going to be operating on the same margins, I definitely think there is a market for your services. Leasing really might be a huge blessing to you. We thought our building would be perfect, but after being in a business a while I have a much better idea of perfection. I hear it is this way when buying a first home.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2012 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, there is a whole un-finished upstairs that could be office space. Also, the piercing procedure rooms might not even happen, and THAT could be an office. But yeah, thats great advice... need a place for conducting biz, papers, etc.

Still have heard nothing. I am going to c all tomorrow and bug them. I hate to do that, but I am watching summer (a.k.a. the best time for business..) just fly right by and I don't want to open a shop after "the season" is over. Honestly, thats why I started on this is friggin' March, I wish I did not have to spin my tires so much to get to the point we are at now, wish I could have immediately approached the owners in the beginning instead of all the loan applications and nonsense.

After tonight at the restaurant, I GOTTA get out of there, and soon. I am completely surrounded by monkeys, rude monkeys who only care about themselves.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock