Replies: 9 (335 views)
Last post by: 85duke on 09-23-2008 07:52 PM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2008 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This monday, september 22 (2008), the forum will be down for a few hours between approx. 3am and 8am. The reason being that I am going to install a brand new server. It's going to take a few hours to move the data over from the old server to the new server (during which the forum will be "closed") and once the data has been moved, I will shut down the old server and replace it with the new server. This last step will only take about 10 minutes during which the server will be unreachable.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rodrv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2008 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the heads up! I'd hate to panic needlessly
Thank you for the tremendous effort you put into keeping this fine place open!!!

------------------
Rod Schneider, Woodstock, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1966 Porsche 911
Van's RV-6 airplane-under construction

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2008 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Time to stock up on my anxiety meds again. Thanks for the warning, Cliff. New server, huh? What's wrong with the old one?
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2008 05:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:
What's wrong with the old one?

Thjere's nothing wrong with the old server, it's just showing its age.

The new server is *much* faster giving me room to implement all kinds of new stuff for the forum (and improve on the old).
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2008 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I won't be replacing the server today, it's been moved forward to tuesday september 23.
CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it done? Gosh I was having withdrawals.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it's done. I took a picture of the freshly installed server with my telephone (it's the black one in the middle with the blue "P"):

Core 2 Duo E6700, 2Gb Memory, 3 x HDD (total about 1TB, 2 in RAID1, 1 for backups), remote KVM.

I had built this server first:

But I wanted something faster, better and more secure so I built another one.
Shad0wguy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shad0wguySend a Private Message to Shad0wguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hard to believe all of PFF is on that tiiiiiiny server.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't let that picture fool you. It looks tiny but the thing is probably twice as big as your average desktop and three times as heavy. The thing is over 2 feet deep.
85duke

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85dukeSend a Private Message to 85dukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is some serious hardware. thank you cliff

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock