Replies: 18 (1549 views)
Last post by: Trinten on 04-26-2022 07:31 PM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2006 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, at least I think so. It most certainly is very unique because I haven't seen anything like it on any other forum, ever.

Anyway, it started this morning, when I wanted to implement a "printable" version of a thread. There are lots of good "How To" threads out there and I can imagine that people want to print those out - it's easier carrying a few pieces of paper with you than a computer when working on your Fiero.

So I did just that. If you look at the top left of a thread, you'll notice a link that hasn't been there before:

If you click that, the system will generate a printable page for you. It's in fact the entire thread stripped from unnecessary information (like member-info and signatures). Also, if the system finds images that won't fit the paper when printed, these images will be sized automatically.

This I thought was quite cool by itself, but it gave me an idea for something else. Something that wasn't as easy to implement, but is very, very cool. I dubbed it VBooks.

What is a VBook? A VBook is shorthand for "Virtual Book" and it's text embedded in a thread. What makes this text so special is that the software treats this text differently than any other text. You can actually tell the system to take all the embedded VBook's text, and print only that. Why is this so cool? Because it allows anyone who has started a thread to create a "virtual book" from his thread. This VBook only contains what the thread starter wants it to contain. This way you can create awesome build up threads, "How To"'s or "History Off" threads.

This is how it works:

To include text of a thread in your VBook, enclose your text in the [booktext] ... [/booktext] tags. Like this:

[booktext]This is text I want in my VBook[/booktext]

Of course, the tags will not be visible after you have submitted the text. Inside the [booktext] tag, you can specify a Chapter Header by enclosing it in the [chapter]...[/chapter] tags. Like this:

[booktext]
[chapter]1: The Beginning[/chapter]
In the beginning, there was void.
[/booktext]

You actually have three Chapter levels which only differ in size. Level 1 (the default level) is the largest, level 3 the smallest. You can specify the chapter level like this:

[booktext]
[chapter]1: The Beginning[/chapter]
In the beginning, there was void.

[chapter level=2]1.1: The Void[/chapter]
[/booktext]

You can also specify a page break with the [pagebreak] tag.

These are the VBook tags I've created so far. I will add more VBook tags later. Of course, you can use all the normal formatting tags as well.

Now you don't have to put all text for your VBook inside the first message. You can spread it over as many messages you want. This way, you can add to your VBook whenever you like, and actually discuss with others what to put in your VBook. [booktext] tags in messages from someone other than the thread's originator are ignored, so only the originator can add to his own VBook.

When the system detects an embedded VBook, it will add a new link to the top of the thread:

Click that, and the system will generate your VBook. It won't look like much in your browser but when you actually print it, it will actually look like a real book (you can hit "Print Preview" in your browser to have a peek how the printed version looks like)!

I have created a sample VBook in the TO/T section here.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2006 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The printable version is an exellent addition!
Now I can print up a thread without all of the signatures and other stuff to take to the parts store when I go shopping.
Thanks for thinking about us here Cliff, we appreciate it!

------------------
jetman
Silver 86 SE 2M6 4-speed, with
"check wallet light"

Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2006 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is cool! I have printed threads in the past, and would have definately appreciated this option then. I am sure it will get put to a LOT of good use! Thanks!!
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2006 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool idea Cliff. I'll have to stock up on paper now. So much for the paperless society.
2farnorth

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2006 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Cliff. That is very helpful

Dave

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2006 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a way to make it only show the posts for the creater of the thread?
If I go and add the [booktext] [/booktext] in someone elses thread then its included.
I dont have any control over it at that point.

Its still a great idea!

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 03-15-2006).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2006 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

If I go and add the [booktext] [/booktext] in someone elses thread then its included.

Someone else's booktext is not included, or at least it shouldn't be.

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2006 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff I sent you a PM
84Bill

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post03-17-2006 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NICE!!!

dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2006 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lost my VBook virginity today, Cliff. Nice feature!
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2006 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this is a bit sidetracked, but are you going to make the text of the 'last posted by' name a bit smaller? It throws off the topic list spacing (I'm runnin firefox)
PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2006 05:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

this is a bit sidetracked, but are you going to make the text of the 'last posted by' name a bit smaller? It throws off the topic list spacing (I'm runnin firefox)

I'm running FireFox as well, and there's no (real) difference between FF and IE. But yes, the line spacing will be slightly larger since the "Last Post" column now displays two lines. So not much I can do to make it smaller (line spacing already is smaller than normal).
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2006 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^ It's fixed now.. Just the name of the poster was larger than normal for some reason. its the same font size as everything else, and all is well now...

Looks awesome!
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2006 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

^ It's fixed now.. Just the name of the poster was larger than normal for some reason. its the same font size as everything else, and all is well now...

Looks awesome!

Could be your browser (or ISP's proxy) was caching the style sheet and wasn't retrieving the new version.
NJ85fieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2006 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NJ85fieroGTSend a Private Message to NJ85fieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"View all sponsors" on the top left under the sponsor's banner has never worked for me. No big deal, but didn't know where else to report that to.

------------------
Jesse
1985 Fiero GT
http://www.year2032.com/fiero/

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 04:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NJ85fieroGT:

"View all sponsors" on the top left under the sponsor's banner has never worked for me. No big deal, but didn't know where else to report that to.

That's because I've never implemented that. It's still on my "To Do" list, but pretty much near the bottom...
NJ85fieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NJ85fieroGTSend a Private Message to NJ85fieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haha, ok, just checking I didn't really care, just thought I would make a note of it in case nobody knew.
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
God, I love this place!

John
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2022 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Necro-thread revival.

Cliff I decided to try out the vbook option. So I found the first post of my current build. I hit edit. Put in the appropriate tag of open bracket booktext closed bracket, and at the end did /booktext. (typed out the brackets so the forum didn't try to actually employ them). I also fixed some typos.

I saved it. The Vbook link did not appear at the top. Ctrl + F5, still nothing. Went back to edit mode to make sure I didn't accidently type /booktext at the beginning. I did not. The forum knows it's supposed to do something with it, in the normal view, the tags are gone.

Is there a delay or did a miss something?

Here is the post where I attempted to apply it. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/.../000142-11.html#p415

[This message has been edited by Trinten (edited 04-26-2022).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock