Replies: 16 (571 views)
Last post by: lurker on 01-06-2004 11:32 PM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2003 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a lot of people seem to know that all registrations on this forum are being CC'd to me by the forum software. One of the things the system detects, is if the user that just registered has already registered a username before. Up until now I've allowed people to register multiple usernames, simply because it didn't happen all too often.

But lately, I've seen more and more people registering new usernames - probably so they can participate in hefty discussions without revealing their known identity (and sometimes so they can rate people more than once). It still doesn't happen a lot (a lot less than most of you would think), but it is something I'd rather stop now then when it's too late.

So from now on, I will still allow people to register new usernames - but when you do, I will take that as a sign the old username is no longer needed/wanted and will delete the old username - no questions asked.

The system that detects multiple usernames is by no means perfect, so if you register a new username and the old username isn't deleted, then kudos to you. However, the system can also detect multiple usernames at a later stage, so don't feel victorious just yet.

[This message has been edited by Cliff Pennock (edited 10-15-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
naskie18

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2003 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, I think thats a good idea to only allow people to have one active username. Actually I was pretty surprised by the fact that you allowed people to register multiple usernames.

On a somewhat related note, are you going to go back and delete all old usernames of people who currently have multiple usernames? Or does this just affect anyone who registeres from now on?
[Edit]
Alright, ignore the above paragraph, I just re-read that you said from "now on". DOH
[/Edit]

Thanks again for the great forum

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com AIM: Naskie182010

[This message has been edited by naskie18 (edited 10-15-2003).]

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2003 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bravo
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2003 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What if we have multiple personalities?

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2003 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or how about multiple users? Im not the only one on this computer that has a name registered, I'd hate to think my name might get deleted, because my sister wanted her own name.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2003 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

Or how about multiple users? Im not the only one on this computer that has a name registered, I'd hate to think my name might get deleted, because my sister wanted her own name.

Good point.

Usually I can distinguish pretty well between a second username or a second user. But if you want to make sure the original username isn't deleted, send me an email.

But you are right, to prevent this from happening I will add a warning to the registration page.

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2003 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff: You know when you go into a Barber Shop to get a haircut. And the owner of the Barbar Shop is the guy who gives you the haircut. The Custom around here is that you don't have to Tip the barber if He's the owner.

Well, with that in mind, I guess I'll finally have to give you a "+" on your Rating Bar.

Keep them bumbs honest.

Archie

Muddy2

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
User Banned

Report this Post10-16-2003 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Muddy2Click Here to visit Muddy2's HomePageSend a Private Message to Muddy2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got but one username that I know of now. Thnx Cliff for deleting the others. I do know of a couple that have gotten by that software though.
The PRE10DR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2003 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The PRE10DRSend a Private Message to The PRE10DREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff...I've got two...that I use..."JSocha" I use when I am at hom on my home computer and "The PRE10DR" I use daily here when I am at work.

Has to do with my work situation that I multiple registered...

On the positive side...this coming March...our CEO might be out of here as his 3 year (out of a 5 year max) term is up...so I may be able to get rid of one...but that all depends on what moron the owners of the company elect to put in there next and if he is easily swaded by our Corporate Ladder Climber...

------------------

"The PRE10DR"
AIM: JeffSocha

Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2003 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Say... when did you install the "logout" button? Thank you!!!
USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2003 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can post but I can't get into my Private Messages.
PFF
System Bot
Daniel87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2004 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daniel87GTSend a Private Message to Daniel87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about changing the system so that you can change your username and be able to retain ratings and number of posts? Maybe somehow retain the old username in the member area of a post for a few months?
paulcal

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2004 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daniel87GT:

How about changing the system so that you can change your username and be able to retain ratings and number of posts? Maybe somehow retain the old username in the member area of a post for a few months?

I second that. That's the only thing thats keeping me from changing my user name.

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Third that! The longer I've had my username the more I've wished I'd thought of something more original. But now I'm halfway to postwhoredom! I can't give that up! Is it possible to change usernames without reregistering Cliff?
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm afraid changing usernames without reregistering is not possible...
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daniel87GT:

How about changing the system so that you can change your username and be able to retain ratings and number of posts?

ditto... When I changed name's, I lost over 8,000+ post and 341 rating's... But, I really don't care about it though, it would have been nice to be able to keep them though...

------------------
New Name.... New Attitude....
AKA. "SmoothGT"....

Custom Built SHAVED~WIDEBODY~GT!!

lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it's your board and youre doing a great job. handle it as you see fit.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock