Replies: 11 (49 views)
Last post by: The PRE10DR on 10-20-2003 09:28 AM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2003 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Somewhere between 2-4 weeks, my server will be relocated to a new location. I'm not sure what that will involve yet, but I suspect a downtime of at least a day, and for some users it might be a few days before the new ip-address is changed in their DNS (so during that time they will be unable to access the forum).

The reason for this is because I couldn't reach an agreement with my current colocation provider. I'm already in negotiations with other colocation providers and as soon as I reach an agreement, I will relocate the server.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2003 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You mean I have to edit my Hosts file agsain.... Be that way. See if I care. Nyah....

Gotta love those ISPs.... So much fun.

------------------
Be alert. The world need more lerts...

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2003 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm a little confused. What will I have to change in order to continue to access the forum? Something in my settings? Will your URL change?

Dave

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2003 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

I'm a little confused. What will I have to change in order to continue to access the forum? Something in my settings? Will your URL change?

No, theogre is speeding up DNS searchesby "hard-coding" the forum's ip-address in the Windows' "hosts" file.

But for all us other "normal" people , nothing has to be changed. It might be that the forum will be unreacheable for a few days for some people, but everything will stay the same.

I will also take the opportunity to upgrade the server hardware again so if anything, when the forum is back in the air it will be on steroids.

I am now negotiating with a new co-location provider and as it seems, they are willing to cut me a very good deal. The costs will be the same as they are now, but the available bandwidth will almost triple!

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2003 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what the hell do you do for your day job?

and futhermore, when do you sleep taking care of this place?

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2003 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What?.... 2 or 3 days without my PFF fix???

Please make it on a day(s) where there are a lot of Football games or even make it cover a couple of days of the World Series.

And give us at least a 10 day warning so we can arrange another life.

If I can have advance warning, I can schedule myself to be real busy so I don't have time to click on that PFf Icon.

Archie

bHooper

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2003 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yea, what Archie said!

will this fix PIP on Win 2000 Server machines?

actually, if i could name a date, i would suggest the last saturday and sunday of the month. i'll be off pit crewing for my friends at VIR that weekend, so i won't miss the forum.

hoop

fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2003 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But, is there really ever a *good* time to be without Pennock's?
naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2003 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

But, is there really ever a *good* time to be without Pennock's?

NOPE I just hope they're nice days so I can be either driving the car or working on the car

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com AIM: Naskie182010

fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2003 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe we need either a national "work on your Fiero" or nationwide "everyone is out driving their Fieros" weekend.

We have a get together the weekend of November 8-9, so maybe everyone across the country should find a place to drive their Fiero to at the same time?

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2003 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, what cliff said is correct. I use the Hosts file to reduce some overhead on dialup connections. No, normal users, like any fiero owner is normal, won't have to make changes to anything.

Cliff's analogy is correct. Hosts is like hardwiring his servers address to my system. It means my machine doesn't have to constantly look up the address thru a service called DNS to reach his server. The disadvantage is that Hosts has to be manually updated. (This manual update problem is what lead to the invention of DNS.)

It's not a big deal as long as you know about a pending change and can switch back to DNS until the new addresses are stable.

Windows NT/2K/XP users:

This may help the transition when it happens....

Open a command prompt from the start menu or
Start/Run, type CMD, then enter.

In the commend window type

ipconfig /flushdns
Then hit enter

The above operating systems keep a cache of IP addresses and names on the local machine that can take days to clear by itself. That command makes it purge everything instantly.

That trick can help any time you have trouble reaching a web site or any other internet service.

All...

Your ISP's DNS server likely also caches IP addresses... That cache will refresh only when the ISP has configured it to. This could be anywhere from a few hours to a day or two. There's not much you can do about this.

The NT/2K/XP users may want to try the ipconfig thing a few times over the course of a couple days if they keep having trouble.

The new address will eventually get there, it can just take some systems longer.

PFF
System Bot
The PRE10DR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2003 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The PRE10DRSend a Private Message to The PRE10DREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This means, I will actually have to go out and "Get a life!".

AND I ABSOLUTELY HATE SHOPPING!

------------------

"The PRE10DR"
AIM: JeffSocha

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay