Replies: 15 (35 views)
Last post by: RWDPLZ on 01-14-2003 06:48 PM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For some reason still unknown to me, my server crashed last night at around 10pm EST. As a result, the forum was down till about 6:30am EST.

I'm trying to find out what happened exactly.

My apologies for any inconvenience.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Manic Mechanic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Manic MechanicSend a Private Message to Manic MechanicEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hurray Forum is back!! I was starting to go nuts from the waiting... Good job on getting it back up and running.
hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad it's back,thank you Cliff.
foxgapfiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for foxgapfieroSend a Private Message to foxgapfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Thank you I almost went into withdraw
Xantavar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XantavarSend a Private Message to XantavarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did go into withdrawl...

I went even as far as going to GMForums for a while last night.

Darn server....need fiero fixx...

Xan

------------------
#7277 of 46581 built in 1987.

My thoughts are on you Sean and Chris! Come back safe!

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for keeping us up to date, Cliff! I tried to log on last night, and IE just sat here, trying to load the forum. I needed to go to bed anyway, so the crashing server actually did me a favor!
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not glad there were problems, but glad it was on your end! I was starting to think this old dog of a computer had finally caught its' tail, and bit it off!

As usual, great job recovering, thanks from one who appreciates all that you do.

Have a good one!

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sigh. Yes it went down again for a few hours and I still haven't got a clue why. I hope it's just a fluke that it went down twice within 24 hours, but I suspect it's a bad RAM stick in the server. It could also be an attack directed at my server, but I really don't believe that.

If it is a bad RAM stick, then chances are the server will go down again, and at a time it is the busiest.

When the server goes down, I have to call someone from my ISP who will have to drive to the location my server is at (which is a guarded server-bunker), physcially flip a switch, and wait for me to confirm everything is running again. Because this is a guarded co-location, I can't just get in the car myself an drive there, because they wouldn't allow me in there anyway.

Anyway, if the server goes down again, please be patient. It costs me about $200 to have somebody go there, so I might decide to wait until morning before sending someone there again. It might also be that I decide to replace the memory on the server which can take some time because I'll need clearance to get acccess to my server.

If the server goes down, I'll try to get on the real-time chat. You can reach it by going to http://www.spinchat.com and login to "_Fiero.nl" (without the quotes, with the underscore and the 'F' is capital). Bookmark it now.

Let's all hope it was just a fluke.

jlruiz67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jlruiz67Send a Private Message to jlruiz67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This place is too addictive, I can't believe how many times I tried to get in and didn't find it up. Panic was at an all time high. Sick Sick I say.

Thank you so much for your hard work Cliff Pennock, this site has so little down time that we take it for granted. Thanks again for your help, and selfless service.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the heads up, Cliff! Let's hope it's just a bad RAM stick and not a DoS attack. Have you heard of Gibbson Research Company? http://www.grc.com
He does a lot of internet work, firewall testing, etc. He's also been hit with several Denial of Service attacks and has done an indepth annalysis of exactly what and how it was happening. If this is the case for you, he might have some defensive measure to suggest.
Manic Mechanic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Manic MechanicSend a Private Message to Manic MechanicEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see it up and running again. This time I was lucky enough to have a class to help ease the cravings. If it is someone trying to muss up the server and you get the IP address would you accidently post it please...
PFF
System Bot
Fiero5

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
M.....u...s....t ch....e..c..k P..e..n..n..o..c..k..s

"Whew"
Glad she is back up and running Cliff!

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Cliff, I noticed the Forum was acting funny a couple days before it shut down. It would start to load a page then stop and start a couple times before the page would load up, sometimes a very long wait. Even tried backing out of the system to front page and re-select again, no gain. Thought it just might be the US links being overloaded.
Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Phew, I was getting worried as well. I couldn't get to it at school today
naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2003 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And here I thought it was just my computer...glad its back up & running

Nick

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2003 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was without internet all last night (damn Charter...) and when it was back this morning the only site I couldn't get onto was my favorite (aka here of course).

Ah, sweet, sweet Fiero forum, how I missed you

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock