Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Announcements
  Please check your computer for this virus.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Please check your computer for this virus. by Cliff Pennock
Started on: 09-08-2002 05:21 PM
Replies: 11 (39 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 09-14-2002 01:27 PM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2002 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Klez/Elkern email worm is currently the most wide spread email worm (virus) on the internet.

This email worm sends itself to random email addresses in your addressbook, using another email address from your addressbook as sender.

Right now, I receive between 50-100 emails per day containing this worm. Since I'm not using Outlook Express and never open an attachement to an email, the worm has fortunately never been able to infect my computer.

Sine I receive the worm only on an email address used for the forum, I can be 100% sure the emails originate from forum members.

Please do yourself a favor, and go here. This is a free online virus scanner. Be aware that this scan can take a long time to complete so you might want to run it overnight.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CoryFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2002 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Cliff :0

Scanning right now

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2002 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Cliff

Mines clean !!!

fieronv

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2002 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieronvSend a Private Message to fieronvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mines clean
Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2002 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For info really, I'm going to run that overnight (if necessary, as per the site you recommended):

I assume that I don't have this virus, as I do not have your E-Mail address in any of my address books (I write you manually as I have need).

I, also, do not use Outlook, so many of these viruses do not get past the outer layer (I'm certainly not invulnerable to attack, just not that way).

bHooper

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2002 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no STD... er Virus's here.

------------------
hoop
Red
'86 GT
5 speed
Borla Exhaust
Eibach's/Poly/Kyb's

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2002 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I get about 1-2 a week with the virus. Not all from forum addresses. My computer is virus free. (checked every Friday between 10pm and 11pm) Had a relative get it and open it. It does some real nasty things to your computer.
I use F-Prot Software so even though I use Outlook, I am still protected from the virus. (Outlook doesn't automatically open attachments anymore)
Freshj

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2002 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FreshjSend a Private Message to FreshjEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My virus software updates almost every day, and I have it do a complete scan every 12 hours. While I'm at work, and while I'm asleep. I also have it do realtime scans, so even if a website has virus code, it will catch it b4 it gets anywhere.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL, that is the same Virus Scan page I use. I run the scan about once a week as I do alot of Power Dowloading from Kazaa. SO far so good, I recive that virus about 6 times a day, and my Outlook 2002 strips it every time. (Cant recive any .exe files in Outlook 2002)
isthiswhereiputausername?

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2002 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always get this crap too in my email.. but havent been infected in over 4 years now

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2002 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm amazed at how many times one of the Klez variations attempts to infect my 'puter via email. Probably a couple of times a week.
Norton's nails it every time.

FWIW, if you're using Outlook Express (especially) and don't have anti-virus software on your machine, you might be surprised...

------------------
Raydar

I'm not the pheasant plucker.
I'm the pheasant plucker's son.
But I'll pluck pheasants
'Til the pheasant plucker comes.

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2002 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It won't pevent a user from getting a virus, but it will help contain it if people will keep their address books trimmed down to a minmum # of entries. I saw an address book the other day that must have had 50 names in it that he hadn't contacted in over a year. The Klez infection attempts have slowed way down on my end-ccompared to 2 months ago. It was so bad, that I pared my addy book down to just family members, a few forum members, and set a hard filter to accept only emails from addresses in my addressbook. related; I can't fathom anyone running a computer without an up-to-date antivirus in this day & time.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock