Replies: 6 (33 views)
Last post by: zeusrekning on 09-11-2000 09:58 PM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2000 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On monday Sept. 11th, I will start migration to my new server. Other than a few temporary interruptions of service (which could last for as long as a few hours), this migration should go by unnoticeably. During these service interruptions, the forum will be unreachable.

Once the server is fully up and running, there should be a noticeable speed increase when accessing the forum - especially when using the Search function.

I'll keep you updated on the progress of the migration.

Thanks,

Cliff

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2000 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We all appreciate what you are doing for us, but I just cant help but wonder how much it costs out of your own pocket to keep this insanity up and running. We should be paying you for the effort, time and money that you are using here.

Thanks for giving us such a great wealth of knowledge!

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2000 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff--I have to second what Cooter said. I realize that you started this forum at least partially for your own benefit, but this must be costing plenty now and you don't seem to ask for much advice/help. I'm all for "giving is better than receiving", but I would imagine you spend much more than it's worth to you. Unless you're independently wealthy (in which case I could sure use a new motor ), I don't think it would be wrong to ask for donations. I can't afford much, but I'll send something. I think anyone else who can afford it should do the same (even a buck or two couldn't hurt).

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2000 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate the offer but when I started the forum I vowed to keep it free for all and that's how it will be.

The only thing I'm considering right now is a banner maybe at the top of the page to help cover the costs of the bandwidth a little bit. And as you know, I'm working on that Fiero Forum CD - something I'm sure will help a little bit also.

Other than that, I will not accept donations or charge anything for using the forum. I want the information contained here to be as widely available as possible, hopefully resulting in the fact less Fieros end up in junkyards. That's more than enough reward for me. And the last thing I want is for people thinking they owe me anything for this - since that's simply not true. I haven't been the one posting 100,000 messages. If anything, you owe each other. I've said it many times before: I provide the space, you provide the contents.

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2000 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, Cliff. I didn't want to suggest anything that would upset you. I wasn't thinking about a regular fee, but more along the lines of a one time donation. You continue to give, but it keeps costing you more and more. I just don't think that's fair to you.

You mention that you're working on a Forum CD that will bring you a little bit of money. True, but it's still costing you time and money to make it. I won't beg of you to accept any money, but if you change your mind, I'd be more than willing to send some cash (and I'm sure others would too).

As you've said, we owe each other. We also "pay" each other with our posts (sometimes it might be considered a withdrawl ), but you do most of the expensive work. It doesn't cost me anything to log on to the forum. It does cost you money to maintain the forum. I don't feel as though I'm responsible if something happens to the forum (only because there's nothing I could do). You must feel responsible otherwise you'd just let things go. You do much more than just provide the space. If that was it, I would never have suggested a donation.

I'm sorry if I've caused you any embarrassment or upset you, but I just feel the way I feel.

Since you won't accept any cash, is there anything else we forum members can do to help you with the forum? Habitat for Humanity (volunteers help build homes for sale to lower income families) asks for "sweat equity". Basically this means that the future home owner has to provide some of the physical labor in building their new home. Maybe you would accept some "sweat equity" in our forum?

I'm sorry, but I'm just feeling a little guilty for using this forum every day without doing anything. If you were English, you'd be Knighted.

Sorry for the bandwidth, but I just had to say what I had to say.

2xsess

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2000 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2xsessSend a Private Message to 2xsessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm with monkeyman! Anything we can do to pitch in! This is the best place on the internet for us Fiero Fanatics !!! You've made alot of things possible here Cliff and some/most of us feel the need to repay you in some fashion. I'm a realatively new member but already I've learned alot from your forum. Well, let us know what we can do for you. And a big THANK YOU!!!

Jeff

zeusrekning

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2000 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zeusrekningSend a Private Message to zeusrekningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff i have not talked to you much but the forum is great and with faster searches it will be near perfect. I would like to say thanks. Pennock's fiero foum members are the greatest bunch of people on the web.I think we all are willing to help in any way. I personally stay in the forum about 20 hours a week. more reading than posting so if you were to close i would have to start working on my cars rather than talking about it.I know you are not planning on closing it.
PS i am planning on getting to know alot of you better i have been a member a while stay in here a lot and only have 150+ post

[This message has been edited by zeusrekning (edited 09-12-2000).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock