Replies: 3 (30 views)
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 05-05-2000 12:12 PM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2000 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To clean up the TD&Q and the GFC sections, I have created Archives which hold threads that have been inactive for over 6 months. These archives are still fully searchable, but read-only. This will hopefully solve the problems I was experiencing with these sections sometimes becoming unresponsive.

Somewhere in July I will upgrade my server and probably will be moving these archived threads back to their original sections to see if the current problems had anything to do with speed and/or memory of my current server.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2000 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good idea, Cliff! Hopefully this will speed things up considerably. I'll bet there are tons of dusty threads.
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2000 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, when your server gets upgraded will we be able to search a topic on all categories again? That option is no longer there. You can only do a search one category at a time when before there was a "search all open topics and archives".
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2000 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The reason I have temporarily disabled that feature is because what most people don't realize is that you start a search through 400Mb of messages. This can take a few minutes and I noticed that a lot of people thought the server didn't respond and restarted the search. This results in a number of identical search scripts running simultaneously - hogging the server tremendously. The new server should be around ten times faster. I will enable this feature as soon as the new server is installed (or if enough people request to switch it on again on the old server).

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock