Replies: 20 (351 views)
Last post by: Phil on 04-01-2010 07:22 PM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2000 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been playing around for some time now with my Fiero's ECM, trying to create a scantool program for use on a laptop. One of the things that was causing me head-aches was trying to decipher the bit-stream coming from the ECM. I had found several websites that explained it, but for some reason my ECM was giving a different stream than I found on these websites. It took me a while to figure out what was "wrong". The cable I made for reading the ECM was actually shorting two pins... When I corrected this, I got the expected stream. Happy I finally was able to read some basic data, I left it at that and continued working on my program.

About three weeks ago, I was working on some new features for my digital dash, and was experimenting with a new processor chip from Atmel, the AT95S776T. It's a four pin processor that uses some very smart tricks to generate parallel data over just two lines One pin is used as a "free-floating oscillator" (FFO), the other to send the actual data. The idea is that the oscillator signals byte-ends. While high, you simply "record" the data pin. A high/low transition signals the byte end. Compare the previous recorded data with the current data, do some bit shifting against a CRC and you have a full 16-bit word. If you look at the data pin, you will notice that you have a lot less transitions than you would have with ordinary data-lines (like I2C or RS232). It looks weird on a scope (you are so used to seeing transistions per bit sent) but it makes perfect sense.

Now this is where it starts to get interesting.

While I was reading the datasheet for this processor, I found a table that displayed a typical free-floating block of data. And I recognized it instantly: it was identical to what I was getting earlier from my ECM! I immediately got myself a spare ECM and started experimenting. I shorted the two pins I had accidently shorted before and started looking for the oscillator pin. Turned out there indeed was a pin (marked N/C in the official datasheet) that was behaving like an FFO!!!

I quickly wrote a little program that would display the FFO data. Most of the data I got was similar to "normal" ECM data, but I also got twelve new parameters and I couldn't figure out what it was.

Fortunately, FFO-data transmissions are bi-directional (you simply force the oscillator low during a chip-reset) and I started feeding the ECM with random values for these 12 parameters. The chip kept running so it was actually accepting them! Since this ECM was sitting on my desk, I had no idea how my ECM in my car would respond. Needless to say that the next day, I was taking out the center console of my car...

The first time I sent random values to my ECM, nothing notably happened, other then some weird fluctuations during idle. Only later that day I realised this old chip couldn't handle 16-bit words (duh!) so I started sending 7-bit bytes instead. And I can only say I'm still completely and utterly amazed after finding out what these parameters did... There are still 5 parameters that don't seem to do much, but those remaining 7... Oh my gawd! Let me sum up a few differences I've noticed in the last few days with the new settings:

• 0-60: 7.9s constantly (previously 9.2s)
  • Topspeed: 132mph (previously around 120)
  • Max RPM now 6600 (couldn't get it past 5500 before)

I need to get my car dyno'ed soon! And the best part is: This mod can be done in about 30 minutes! (you need a laptop)

I need to run some more tests (don't want angry forum-members with blown engines) but as soon as I'm done, I'll release full documentation on how to do this mod!!!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2000 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sounds promising Cliff. (Not that I understood any of the technical stuff!)

What I want to know is where you were going 132mph?

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2000 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff,

Wow. Read the email I sent you and think carefully about this before you just post it. You're about to piss off a large portion of the performance industry.

HF6582

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2000 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HF6582Send a Private Message to HF6582Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff,
I have no idea what you just said , but it sounds interesting.

Scott

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2000 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What ever happened to the days of adjusting a carburator or two and resetting the timing?

Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2000 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm.. this sounds like.. APRIL FOOL'S!!!!!!!!!! hehehe.. of course, if Cliff is telling the truth.. wow.
Ozzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2000 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OzzySend a Private Message to OzzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Cliff...

This sounds pretty cool. I have been hunting for a program for the pupose of hooking up my Toshiba laptop to my Fiero's. So far no real luck except for the pricey Diacom software.

Please keep us posted

P.S. Forum member terryk might know something about that ECM pin. He is very knowledgeable on that stuff.

Ozzy

[This message has been edited by Ozzy (edited 04-02-2000).]

2FAST4U

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2000 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2FAST4USend a Private Message to 2FAST4UEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff,

I think I still have your address at the office. If so I'll be sending you a 800 page manual on computerized engine controls. I covers both the 2.5L and 2.8L computers and has much information that might be useful to this project. It's yours to keep. It's both theory and operation and is way over my head.

I was going to send my chip out to be reprogrammed Monday but now I think I'll wait for you to finish.

Have a great day

Joe
2fast4u

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2000 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before people start sending me stuff... Standard is right...
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2000 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good One! I was thinking about what the newspaper headlines might read after your discover:

"Network Administrator and ECM hacker Cliff Pennock has opened Pandora's box! Now it is possible to have your 3 CYL Metro run top fuel 1/4 mile times thanks to his efforts in unlocking the hidden code locked in GM ECMs. Now Cliff has moved on to unlocking the human DNA code and has cloned himself 14 times......"

GWMORGAN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2000 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GWMORGANSend a Private Message to GWMORGANEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I swallowed that one...hook...line and...SINKER.
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2000 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So did I. Good one, Cliff! All of the technical mumbo jumbo made it convincing. Tell the truth. Was Ogre in on this???
Ozzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2000 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OzzySend a Private Message to OzzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, YeaH...I knew that

Kinda thought that after Standard put it out there, but I agree...Your long line o' B.S. definatley sold it to me.

Call me sucker

Ozzy

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2000 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ummmm.... I was in on it all along. Sure fooled you guys, eh?

Hey, how come nobody believes me??!!!

Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2000 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definatly had me fooled for a second, tho.. when you use all those technical terms people just assume you're telling the truth.. hehe. good one, Cliff!!
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2000 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah sorry guys, simply couldn't resist! Thanks for taking it so lightly! I was kinda worried people would start shortening pins on their ECM just to figure out what I was talking about...
Formula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2000 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to print this out and take it to school tommorow. I'll have a whole school shorting out there computers!!!!
2FAST4U

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2000 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2FAST4USend a Private Message to 2FAST4UEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn, I thought My prayers hadreally been answered.
Oh well
Cliff you win the grand prize in my best of April Fools Contest. First Prize? A manual on automotive ECUs. I'll send it anyways. I'm sure it will do you mo good than me. I'm not ECU literate enough to understand most of it anyways.

Joe
2fast4u

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2000 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good one Cliff!
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance...
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2010 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Brad
Phil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2010 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sneaky Cliff did the same thing last year with a chip for the 3.4 DOHC engine
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock