Replies: 12 (33 views)
Last post by: theogre on 03-19-2000 09:29 PM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2000 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had been getting a number of emails lately that the forum was sometimes unreachable or very slow. I had checked my logfiles and they showed the server wasn't anywhere near it's full capacity so I figured it must be something with the transatlantic connection. However, today I too noticed the server was incredibly slow and I did some tests. I found out the server had problems with reverse name lookups (DNS doesn't respond) so I turned that feature off on my server. This speeded up things tremendously. If the server still is very slow for you, please let me know.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
william_thorniii

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2000 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for william_thorniiiSend a Private Message to william_thorniiiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff,

You're AWESOME!

THX,

William T. Thorn, III

DRH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2000 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hadn't noticed any particular problem. It does seem a little faster now though. (Could be the power of suggestion )

Could you let Bill Gates know what you did so he can fix msn.com... It's been a real dog lately...

Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2000 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No kiddin' about MSN. Glad it's not just me. I thought my crappy computer was to blame. Thanks for the "upgrade" Cliff!
bHooper

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2000 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks,Cliff! I had noticed some "funny" things lately. Didn't know what was going on...
87ECO5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2000 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87ECO5Send a Private Message to 87ECO5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're awesome, Cliff! Thanks for the update and, as always, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for this forum!!!!!
BOILERMAKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2000 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BOILERMAKERSend a Private Message to BOILERMAKEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UMMMMMMMMM, I thought we already lived through 1995. What a wierd start to the day.
zebrex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2000 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zebrexSend a Private Message to zebrexEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really hate to say this while everyone is thanking you Cliff but I still find the sight responds slow I even hit it at work with the T1 and I dont see any improvement there either. The pages load fine it just seems like the sight is real slow to respond to a hit.
Now im going to thankyou for the best forum ive ever seen of any kind. the layout is great, its easy to use, managed very well and it doesnt run amuck with potty mouths. very very nice place you have here Cliff and thanks again
DRH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2000 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remember this site is in Holland (The Netherlands, whatever...) Quite a few "hops" to get across the pond for all us North American users.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2000 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually, depending on just where in north americal you are, getting to Cliff's site isn't that many hops differant + or - from many domestic sites. I've run the tracert on it a number of times now.

It's 4-6 hops just getting off your local ISP.

total it's 26 hops at the moment to Cliff. It's 21 to the border router at microsoft.
it's 16 to www.cnet.com

william_thorniii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2000 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for william_thorniiiSend a Private Message to william_thorniiiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ogre,

That is a very informative post as usual.

Thanks for the information,

William T. Thorn, III

PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2000 06:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Correct, but with the exception that most transatlantic traffic goes through a few lines. There's your bottleneck.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2000 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I automatically take the limited transcontinental bandwidth into account. Some times I forget not everyone is aware of it. The thing that helps allot with the forums is that it's nearly all text. It can squeeze thru next to nothing for bandwidth.

Generally tho I haven't had any problems in a long time. Not since the last time I e-mailed several months ago.Searching has been slow but then I'm usually searching the entire database. (((Btw... can you eliminate the inactive forum space from the global search? that would help some.)))

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock