Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  Source for reasonably priced 87/88 HL module?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Source for reasonably priced 87/88 HL module? by Jncomutt
Started on: 05-26-2021 08:32 PM
Replies: 15 (390 views)
Last post by: Jncomutt on 06-09-2021 08:58 AM
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2021 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there any reasonably priced source for these things? I'll keep an eye on the local u-pull yard for the cross reference, but just wondering if anyone else has a place to buy other than ebay.

Looking inside, it appears to be a very simple circuit, and $2-300 seems crazy. Anyway, Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Wayne Renninger

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2021 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne RenningerSend a Private Message to Wayne RenningerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a few in Allentown Pa $125 shipped if interested, war51@rcn.com Thanks Wayne
Mike in Sydney

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2021 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check eBay for a 1997-2004 C5 Corvette headlight module. GM Part Number 16523917. If fits Fits Corvette, Fiero, Firebird, J2000, Skyhawk, Sunbird vehicles. Ebay has used ones for ~$100USD. You can try to repair using these instructions: https://www.instructables.c...t-Controller-Repair/

[This message has been edited by Mike in Sydney (edited 05-27-2021).]

reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2021 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

Check eBay for a 1997-2004 C5 Corvette headlight module. GM Part Number 16523917. If fits Fits Corvette, Fiero, Firebird, J2000, Skyhawk, Sunbird vehicles. Ebay has used ones for ~$100USD. You can try to repair using these instructions: https://www.instructables.c...t-Controller-Repair/

Pretty sure those aren't compatible.
Turbowedge

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2021 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TurbowedgeSend a Private Message to TurbowedgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you have a pm
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2021 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

Pretty sure those aren't compatible.

GM PARTS DIRECT lists this part number as a replacement for the headlight control module for late '90s - early 2000's Corvettes, '87 & '88 Fieros, and other GM vehicles so, yeah, I think it will work.

[This message has been edited by Mike in Sydney (edited 05-31-2021).]

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2021 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

GM PARTS DIRECT lists this part number as a replacement for the headlight control module for late '90s - early 2000's Corvettes, '87 & '88 Fieros, and other GM vehicles so, yeah, I think it will work.

Idea on price Mike from GM parts direct?
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2021 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Around $300USD for a new one. You can find them used ones on eBay for around $100USD.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2021 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have a completely burned out unit that I can purchase and tear apart just to see if it can be modified with better quality parts?
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2021 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Around $300USD for a new one. You can find them used ones on eBay for around $100USD.

Whoa, TFS sells them for 675$ USD. That's a big difference.

I might quite as well want to buy from GM Parts Direct for a replacement...money to be saved no question.

Thanks,

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2021 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Anyone have a completely burned out unit that I can purchase and tear apart just to see if it can be modified with better quality parts?

..... You can try to repair using these instructions: https://www.instructables.c...t-Controller-Repair/

Pretty clear instructions...
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2021 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

According to the web page that Mike posted the headlight module is built around a 4 pole single throw relay, a mosfet and a logic chip with some resistors and capacitors. It looks like the module energizes then detects the stall current of the headlight motors, shuts off only to be activated again when the headlights are turned on. The relay switches 5 amps and that is why GM didn't chose a solid state device back then. AFAIK there is a new Chinese made version of this module available for around $165. Eckler's Corvette sells them as it is also used on the C4 Corvette.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Larry Hubbert

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2021 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry HubbertSend a Private Message to Larry HubbertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great Info and a huge savings for all Fiero Owners. Now we just need someone to make up new wire harness for the 87/88 Headlight mods because the new motors are more readily available. Thanks .
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2021 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

Whoa, TFS sells them for 675$ USD. That's a big difference.

I might quite as well want to buy from GM Parts Direct for a replacement...money to be saved no question.

Thanks,

LOL yes you're better off just buying an entire parts car
GodSend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2021 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive got several of these in a parts bin i've pulled from the bone yards around here over the years. PM me and we can work something out thats fair, not looking to put my kids through college by selling one.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2021 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GodSend:

Ive got several of these in a parts bin i've pulled from the bone yards around here over the years. PM me and we can work something out thats fair, not looking to put my kids through college by selling one.

I've sent you a PM.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock