Original Mera, wtb? by KennyC
Started on: 05-11-2021 10:07 PM
Replies: 24 (1019 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 09-03-2021 09:37 PM
KennyC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2021 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyCSend a Private Message to KennyCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd looked into this a while back, then we had a loss of suitable garage space after winding up with my step-dad's old 2016 zl1 camaro.

Now that I've expanded our storage building I'm interested in getting either one of these cars again before it becomes to hard to get in and out and enjoy it, or another bucket list toy... whichever I come across a good example of first.

I prefer cars with as little Ferrari treatment as possible, but, you take what you can get when dealing with such a low production number and as many years as have gone by. Likewise, prefer original wheels and mirrors, but if they're missing its OK- just means the price better be lowered by the replacement cost to get correct ones back on the car.

The only absolute MUST is it has to be AUTOMATIC, and very strongly prefer a factory sunroof car. I'd rather an 87, but 88 is OK too.

Budget depends on condition and originality. Not looking to overpay above recent listing and sales prices, but somewhere in the teens for a car that needs ABSOLUTELY NOTHING is possible.

[This message has been edited by KennyC (edited 06-04-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2021 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know of someone that just paid $13K for a good condition Mera and he put in about $1K in parts to get it running up to snuff. If you have that budget you can find one but I thought the vast majority of Meras came with the 5 speed manual. Rodney Dickman should have the stats.
Mera Info

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

KennyC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2021 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyCSend a Private Message to KennyCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the right car/condition/mileage that's certainly in the budget.

I've even considered buying that jalopy in CA for a just-in-case parts car, but, it's not something that makes sense if I don't wind up with one to drive.

I've only got one spot freed up in the heated/cooled garage at home for a new toy. It will be a 69 k5, 69/70 Coupe Deville, 82 grand national, or a Mera.

Of the list, the mera is the one that would become harder to get in/out and enjoy driving as time went by, so, if I can find the right one that's where I'm looking first.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2021 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sent you an email.

Nelson
KennyC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2021 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyCSend a Private Message to KennyCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Emailed you back Nelson, thanks for offering to keep an eye open.
American Exotic

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2021 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Miller 50213 was selling his a couple months back. It should be on page 2 in the mall section. I believe he was asking 13 K with under 50,000 miles. Take a look and if you’re interested contact him . Good luck, I’m definitely interested in one of those as well. 👍
KennyC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2021 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyCSend a Private Message to KennyCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by American Exotic:

Miller 50213 was selling his a couple months back. It should be on page 2 in the mall section. I believe he was asking 13 K with under 50,000 miles. Take a look and if you’re interested contact him . Good luck, I’m definitely interested in one of those as well. 👍

Thanks for the heads up, but too many pedals. Need an automatic trans only (physical limitations) and not looking for a car I'd need to pay someone to rip apart and do a full drivetrain conversion on.
American Exotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2021 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2021 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBfebiZkcFs

I believe that this is the Mera that blew up the engine just prior to the sale being completed. I understand that it may now be for sale as is so you might get something useful out of it.

Nelson
KennyC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2021 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyCSend a Private Message to KennyCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBfebiZkcFs

And as I said, it's a 5spd. Zero use to me as anything more than a parts car because physical disability prevents driving a standard any longer, and, I'm not up for doing a swap.

KennyC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2021 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyCSend a Private Message to KennyCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still on the lookout for something.

Had heard from one member who might possibly sell, but, car has a number of deferred maintenance items (bad headliner, headlight motors need rebuild, presumed tires are over 5yrs old daye code and need replace for safe driving, etc) and he didn't give a price but iys high teens or above... seem a bit much for what the car needs.
PFF
System Bot
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2021 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KennyC:

I'd looked into this a while back, then we had a loss of suitable garage space after winding up with my step-dad's old 2016 zl1 camaro.

Now that I've expanded our storage building I'm interested in getting either one of these cars again before it becomes to hard to get in and out and enjoy it, or another bucket list toy... whichever I come across a good example of first.

I prefer cars with as little Ferrari treatment as possible, but, you take what you can get when dealing with such a low production number and as many years as have gone by. Likewise, prefer original wheels and mirrors, but if they're missing its OK- just means the price better be lowered by the replacement cost to get correct ones back on the car.

The only absolute MUST is it has to be AUTOMATIC, and very strongly prefer a factory sunroof car. I'd rather an 87, but 88 is OK too.

Budget depends on condition and originality. Not looking to overpay above recent listing and sales prices, but somewhere in the teens for a car that needs ABSOLUTELY NOTHING is possible.

oop..... that last part has me out

PS its an Auto 4 Speed..... for the speed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELuLfGi6VXo

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 06-05-2021).]

KennyC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2021 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyCSend a Private Message to KennyCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by batousai666:

My guess is probably it would, presuming you were thinking of selling.

Swapped cars generally scare me at this point as there is no way of knowing how able I will be to do/assist repairs - it ebbs/flows. But it's far easier to open an 88 manual and direct someone where things are than try to figure out what someone did in a swap.

Nice looking car though. Wish I had one!

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2021 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KennyC:

My guess is probably it would, presuming you were thinking of selling.

Swapped cars generally scare me at this point as there is no way of knowing how able I will be to do/assist repairs - it ebbs/flows. But it's far easier to open an 88 manual and direct someone where things are than try to figure out what someone did in a swap.

Nice looking car though. Wish I had one!

i dont do my own swaps and only the basics in maintainence. its all about the money after that.
i have been thinking of Moving across the Country and would be willing to sell Mera X for close to the right monies, even

its an 87.... its an Automatic... it has a sunroof and its time to jump if you want one just sayin my hope is to be stuck with an "Undocumented" Mera and have to haul it across the nation unless this new Tranny i am getting allows me to drive it to my new Cali Home
this 3800 platform is a 15 year advancement is tech and is eaiser to source parts in my opinion. Also you will never regret the feeling you get when you hold your own at the light with a Camaro reving waiting for the light to change

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 06-06-2021).]

KennyC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2021 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyCSend a Private Message to KennyCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still keeping am eye out for one of... something? That catches our eye.

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2021 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try this site. Should put you in touch with many Mera owners.
Mera Owners Site

KennyC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2021 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyCSend a Private Message to KennyCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So Mera 8093 is back up for sale again. For those not familiar it's a black cjb car, grey guts.

I noticed in archive reading that @hnthomps had mentioned speaking to the owner about the 2 rear lamps not working right and about the Recaro pass seat not moving properly.

From what I gather online about 9k or so ago it was in an auction around 70k miles for $14k, not sure if that was this owner buying it but seems like it. So I did ask about the seat and lamp wiring. I also asked about if/when it was last MA state inspected since they're fairly thorough.

In addition to the Recaro, it had a pisa dash and koni air shocks and rear strut tower bar... at least from what I've sleuthed, that's what it used to have. It's also had the Ferrari treatment unfortunately and its still present.

Oddly enough the car is around the corner from a sister's house even though she and her husband are not car people.

Debating what a reasonable value is on it, any comments are welcome.

freedom0226

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2021 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
KennyC. 14k is a good offer however kit cars nowadays are selling for that much as well. it all depends on condition and engine
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2021 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hmmmm so you are thinking of selling Interesting. Hope to see you at the metro cruise.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2021 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hmmmm…I will have a lot more indoor parking soon.
KennyC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2021 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyCSend a Private Message to KennyCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by freedom0226:

KennyC. 14k is a good offer however kit cars nowadays are selling for that much as well. it all depends on condition and engine

Well, this car has a stock engine. He hasn't answered about having the other parts of the car ever fixed. He also said that if I live in state he can get the car inspected for me after I owned it, but it's been kept registered in a non-inspection state.

My guess is there are things that wont pass any longer, likely deleted converter, egr, etc. Could even be something sloppy in the front end or non-functional e-brake cables as seldom driven fieros are prone to.

It's the lack of just answering the question or being evasive that calls things to question.

I think his listing is high, but maybe he bought to try to flip - just my opinion. It's a toy though, not a daily driver, so isn't as caught up in the overpriced craze some late model cars see.

For a turnkey car that doesn't need anything other than de-ferrarization I'd happily be somewhere in the mid to upper teens for nice paint, wear-free interior, automatic, and sunroof. The ttops on this one substitute for the sunroof ok since the weatherstripping seems decent on them. But for any fiero, even a Mera, I'd be looking to stay below 20k by the time everything it needs is done and I cover costs to get it home.

But for a car that needs a couple thousand in work, well, it'll be a couple thousand less in price.
PFF
System Bot
Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2021 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw this car on the Mera Facebook group, it is an 87, automatic and needs some TLC. Looks like it could be a real Mera.

https://www.tedvernon.com/1...eplica-gt-c-1990.htm
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2021 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Swing69 (Mike A from NJ) sold his Mera a few weeks ago and I wonder if anyone here purchased it. It was in fine shape.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

KennyC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2021 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KennyCSend a Private Message to KennyCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryinkc:

Saw this car on the Mera Facebook group, it is an 87, automatic and needs some TLC. Looks like it could be a real Mera.

https://www.tedvernon.com/1...eplica-gt-c-1990.htm

Saw a couple things that looked like maybe mera. But a bunch others that looks more like it could be just a kit car with some fitment issues.

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Swing69 (Mike A from NJ) sold his Mera a few weeks ago and I wonder if anyone here purchased it. It was in fine shape.

Hadn't heard or seen it for sale, wonder if it would've been the type/caliber I was looking for and what it mightve gone for as a data point.

Oh well. Still looking for a mechanically turnkey, automatic, sunroof car priced according to the cosmetic work the car needs.

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2021 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i dont do my own swaps and only the basics in maintainence. its all about the money after that.
i have been thinking of Moving across the Country and would be willing to sell Mera X for close to the right monies, even

its an 87.... its an Automatic... it has a sunroof and its time to jump if you want one just sayin my hope is to be stuck with an "Undocumented" Mera and have to haul it across the nation unless this new Tranny i am getting allows me to drive it to my new Cali Home
this 3800 platform is a 15 year advancement is tech and is eaiser to source parts in my opinion. Also you will never regret the feeling you get when you hold your own at the light with a Camaro reving waiting for the light to change

So ole Danny boy yall selling?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock