Started on: 04-13-2021 11:18 PM
Replies: 15 (3180 views)
Last post by: RandomTask on 08-18-2021 07:41 PM
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2021 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pre-production sale has ended

With rising material costs and supply issues, I dont know when I will open it back up for orders. As of now, there will be a significant increase on the pricing. I will update once I receive feedback from the 4 beta testers. For faster updates, checkout kFiero on facebook.

I ask for genuine feedback and any issues with fitment etc. I can only guarantee fitment on the vehicle I have based the mounts on and the way I modified the cradle.

What you get:

Upper head and trans mount
2 framerail brackets
Firewall side mount
Trunk side mount
84-87 gets a trunk & firewall side cradle mount bracket
88' get U brackets that must be tied into your cradle (unless you send your cradle in to be modified)
Mounts come powdercoated black. Optional colors are available.

Bushing durometer
62A street (softest)
70A medium
88A hard
94A extreme (super hardcore)

Ordering:
Engine k20 or K24
Trans k24 or k20
Midplate yes/no
Additional U brackets yes/no
Optional powdercoat color request add $100 and 2 week leed time for single coat powder.
Bushing durometer
84-87 or 88 fiero

Current list
1. R.White k24, u70 additional U brackets. PAID
2. D. Webster pending
3. D. Williams PAID
4. M.Martin PAID
5. Slot held for my use

■■■ you MUST modify your engine cradle!!!

My k24 mounts are based around a modified 88 cradle pictured below. You'll either need to send me your cradle for modification or do it on your end. I can supply additional U brackets to fit the bushings and then you tie them into your cradle I offer a modified cradle on exchange only. I have 2, 84-87 cradles ready to be exchanged directly as of 4/13/21.$165 to mod the cradle. Add $250 to have it sandblasted and powdercoated. I am still trying to figure out all the different combinations between Honda and Fiero. I'll do my best to make mounts for all the combinations. I need your input and feedback! Mounts are subject to change as I constantly strive to add more combinations and perfect the designs.

I am trying to find a local print shop to make paper templates for the framerail mount positioning. This will make positioning the mounts simple and easy!

I can supply, shift cables, throttle cable (exchange only), axles and have a ton of info on wiring, plumbing etc on my YouTube channel. BVMotorSports

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 07-03-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2021 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Honda k20 w/ ep3 5 speed mounts 84-87 Fiero

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 04-13-2021).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2021 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
1988 fiero w/ TSX ver.1 k24 & 6 speed mounts have been redesigned, see below.

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2021 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
Cradle mod video click here
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2021 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
Installed

------------------
BVMotorSPorts on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/bvm03
1988 Fiero GT Honda K24 swap, turbo, w2a intercooling, the works!
1987 Fiero GT aka The Blur Honda K20 swap

ƒ13r0'$ rµ£3

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2021 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
k20 installed 87 Fiero

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2021 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With how nice the k20 mounts turned out, I redesigned the k24 mounts to a similar style. 1st set of kFiero ver.2 k24 mounts are ready to ship! I just need to grab the bushings and pins for the large barrels.
The raw finish plates are the "drops" the customer will have to shape, trim and weld to their cradle for the front and rear mounts.

thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2021 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did *NOT* know you were still doing this... I would love to talk quickly about availability, pricing, and what the install looks like. My primary concern would be getting this swap through California smog, which (as far as I'm concerned) means I need to be able to use the stock intake and exhaust up to the cat... is that feasible? Does the increased deck height of the K24 make a difference?

I'm not ready to tackle this project, but I would definitely squirrel away a set of mounts if I can!

Edit: I shouldn't say "stock" intake and exhaust.... any California-approved equipment is fine. With Honda motors, there are TONS of approved aftermarket options here... so if Brand X Shorty Headers fix a packaging problem that's an option too...

[This message has been edited by thesameguy (edited 07-08-2021).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2021 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:

I did *NOT* know you were still doing this... I would love to talk quickly about availability, pricing, and what the install looks like. My primary concern would be getting this swap through California smog, which (as far as I'm concerned) means I need to be able to use the stock intake and exhaust up to the cat... is that feasible? Does the increased deck height of the K24 make a difference?

I'm not ready to tackle this project, but I would definitely squirrel away a set of mounts if I can!

Edit: I shouldn't say "stock" intake and exhaust.... any California-approved equipment is fine. With Honda motors, there are TONS of approved aftermarket options here... so if Brand X Shorty Headers fix a packaging problem that's an option too...

The blur is heading to CA when its finished as thats where my son is stationed. I called and spoke with a smog referee and he said I would have to install all the equipment from a donor honda (fuel tank, evap, all emissions etc) and there is still no way to know if it would pass. So my sons car will keep its WV registration and plates.

As far as the installation, there are pics of it in this thread as well as 2 different build series on my youtube channel here

------------------
BVMotorSPorts on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/bvm03
1988 Fiero GT Honda K24 swap, turbo, w2a intercooling, the works!
1987 Fiero GT aka The Blur Honda K20 swap

ƒ13r0'$ rµ£3

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2021 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some referees don't know the rules so well... you do have to keep all the emissions equipment, but not the fuel tank.. that's bananas. There are k-series swaps for lots of cars (Miata and MR-S come to mind not to mention all the old Civics) that are legal and they aren't swapping fuel tanks. Some refs just really like making mountains out of mole hills.

That's isn't to say it's a slam dunk, it's not *that* bad. Truly, my biggest concern is the intake manifold and exhaust... specifically the cat. If it's in the downpipe like so many modern cars, I don't think it'd be an issue. But, I don't think I've ever seen a freshly pulled K-series to know what it looks like. Then it's probably a matter of finding the right aftermarket parts to make the fitment easier... fortunately Hondas are big in this state, so there's a mountain of smog-legal intake/headers etc. to choose from.

[This message has been edited by thesameguy (edited 07-09-2021).]

FastOwen2XLL

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2021 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastOwen2XLLSend a Private Message to FastOwen2XLLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know you focus primarily on K swaps, but I am curious if you have considered or started looking into doing a J motor swap? Something with for example, a J35 and a 6-speed TL manual trans? I have a more traditional swap I am about to start, but have my eye out for the right chassis for my NEXT project.

I see your solution to the shift cables facing the wrong way and a few things you have done that I foresee as issues. Does 'looping' the shift cables like you have caused shifting issues like binding or inability to engage gears?

I was hoping to find a way to use OEM mounts. Since J motors can be found in almost anything from Accords to MDXs, there more than a few styles to choose from. My daily is a V6 Accord and I love it!
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2021 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FastOwen2XLL:

I know you focus primarily on K swaps, but I am curious if you have considered or started looking into doing a J motor swap? Something with for example, a J35 and a 6-speed TL manual trans?

I had to do a top end job on a J35 (broken timing belt) and was impressed with the engineering. ("Interference" notwithstanding.)
I have often thought that it would make a superb Fiero swap. Especially after seeing Miatas with them.

FastOwen2XLL

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2021 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastOwen2XLLSend a Private Message to FastOwen2XLLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I had to do a top end job on a J35 (broken timing belt) and was impressed with the engineering. ("Interference" notwithstanding.)
I have often thought that it would make a superb Fiero swap. Especially after seeing Miatas with them.

(For anybody that is curious what we are talking about, The Honda/Acura J motor is the most common all aluminum V6 Honda/Acura V-Tech engine used and continuously improved in almost everything that you can get a V6 in since 1996.)

Most modern engines are an interference design. That being said, most J motor timing belt failures are due to lack of owners following maintenance recommendations. Every J motor calls for a new water pump, timing belt, tensioner, etc. at 90k-110k miles. You don't skip this maintenance and get away with it forever. You rarely, if ever (I never have and I am around alot of owners) hear of a failure before the recommended mileage for replacement.

Some J motors are close to 300hp stock. Most are conservatively tuned for economy and emissions. 320hp is neither difficult nor expensive to attain. The powertrain would be lighter than almost any of the more common GM-based engine swaps. Plus you have V-Tech. I think a super-reliable 300hp, 30mpg Fiero is more than obtainable. (My 2014 278hp Accord coupe gets 34mpg highway and over 26mpg average in a heavier car). Honda motor wiring harnesses are neatly packaged. But they do use a unique motor mount system that could take a considerable amount of fab work to use the stock mounts.

Even bigger power can be made with boost. At work, there is a guy who drags his J motor in his 6th gen Accord coupe. He is in the 9s with it and flirting with high 8s in th 1/4. (No BS, I have seen both videos and time slips of what he is running). It is still street legal and he still drives it to work occasionally, so it is not ultra light. Of course he has a massive turbo and lots of internal and external high performance parts. His biggest issue lately is he has been snapping CV axles like chicken bones.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2021 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That being said, most J motor timing belt failures are due to lack of owners following maintenance recommendations. Every J motor calls for a new water pump, timing belt, tensioner, etc. at 90k-110k miles. You don't skip this maintenance and get away with it forever. You rarely, if ever (I never have and I am around alot of owners) hear of a failure before the recommended mileage for replacement.

Wellll... Our replacement timing belt (originally replaced at ~100K) broke at 215K. It might have been over-mileage, but it wasn't by much. But then again, I didn't do the first replacement. No telling what kind of crap the mechanic installed. But there was silicone on the water pump gasket, so I have to believe he did something.

The really strange thing is that my wife's best friend put 280K on their original timing belt. I replaced that one, after Tammy's broke. It looked just fine, when I removed it.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2021 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know you focus primarily on K swaps, but I am curious if you have considered or started looking into doing a J motor swap? Something with for example, a J35 and a 6-speed TL manual trans? I have a more traditional swap I am about to start, but have my eye out for the right chassis for my NEXT project.

I see your solution to the shift cables facing the wrong way and a few things you have done that I foresee as issues. Does 'looping' the shift cables like you have caused shifting issues like binding or inability to engage gears?

I was hoping to find a way to use OEM mounts. Since J motors can be found in almost anything from Accords to MDXs, there more than a few styles to choose from. My daily is a V6 Accord and I love it!

I am installing a J series into my best friends 85GT once the big move is over.

The shifter setup has been revised. I am working with Eric of HUX Racing to have a setup that uses stock Honda shift cables and the cables come into the trans from the front (like stock Fiero).
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2021 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LMK when these go back on sale. I'd be interested in picking up a set to screw around on another fiero.

Thanks,

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock