Trashed Mera on Facebook needs major rescue by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 02-18-2021 12:30 PM
Replies: 20 (800 views)
Last post by: RCR on 03-06-2021 11:35 AM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This Mera on Facebook Marketplace. Located in San Diego. Not mine, but I wish I had the time and skills to rescue it.

https://www.facebook.com/ma...erral_code=undefined

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this car fairly well and can comment on it a bit. It was originally in NC and was damaged in a rollover accident. Some of the worst damage was to a quarter panel and that is not shown in the included photos. It was sold to a person in OK City that I know and was I offered the car for a very low price. The original sale included some custom parts like a dash, two transmissions, and a few other items. I tried to help him sell the car but a couple of potential sales for less than $2k fell through at the last moment and the vehicle was eventually sold to someone on the West Coast. It looks as if he has given up on the rebuild and is offering it for sale once again (at a price considerably higher than what he paid). There appear to be some parts included for a DOHC engine, but looks unassembled and I have no idea if everything is even there.

This car can be restored but it will take a person who is good with fiberglass, detail oriented, and has a lot of time for the work. My estimate is that it may take 300 + man hours of fiberglass work and additional time for interior and engine/transmission work. If you are not local there is also the transportation cost to get the roller to its new home. I have a trailer and a tow vehicle but it was not worth my while to drive from the East Coast to OK and bring it back. If it had stayed in NC, that vehicle might be sitting in my basement now as a new project.

Nelson
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

It looks as if he has given up on the rebuild and is offering it for sale once again (at a price considerably higher than what he paid).

Nelson

Probably cost a bit to get it shipped from OK to CA. Probably trying to recoup the sunk cost.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a New 3.4 DOHC engine that goes with it ...

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might be a record.... A million miles on it!

RCR

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2021 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having worked on a body in not as bad condition, I'd say scrap it. that's a ridiculous amount of work.

Bob

------------------

My Build

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2021 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Having worked on a body in not as bad condition, I'd say scrap it. that's a ridiculous amount of work.

Bob

I was going to say this same thing.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2021 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Bob

That is basically why I said no thanks. To do the work properly will be extremely time consuming/expensive ($ and time). The best Idea that I could come up with to minimize the repair process is to get a replica body or body parts and graft them to the damaged Mera sections. That would at least minimize hand building quarter panels and some patching. The following is one of the images that was not posted in the ad. Most certainly a candidate for a kit car (F308/328) quarter pane. I also have a few other photos but will not post them unless I get a specific request to do so.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 02-21-2021).]

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I would rather just grab a real Ferrari 308 or 328 than buy this thing and spend 2 years of my life trying to make it look like a Ferrari.... but it's just me.

Looks like way too much work to make it worthwhile..

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 02-21-2021).]

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If i was going to drop 50k on a car a 308 wouldn't be it....

300 man hours is 30k for typical shop rates. So the price is comparable.

If someone said here is 40k to spend on a car id probably pick a Lotus Exige... But that's my personal preference. Maybe a 2000 Esprit.
Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

Personally, I would rather just grab a real Ferrari 308 or 328 than buy this thing and spend 2 years of my life trying to make it look like a Ferrari.... but it's just me.

Looks like way too much work to make it worthwhile..

One of the fun things about having a Mera is hardly anyone knows what they are and fewer have actually seen one. I have seen more 308/328 Ferraris than Meras.

PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This car is pretty far gone. The skill set required to bring it back is pretty vast!!!!

My thoughts are two fold on it. First, the motor and the vehicle should be separate issues. No idea what a 3.4 sells for but sell that thing separately. The second issue is the vehicle. Where are all the little MERA bits like brake lights? The black side louvers? so many broken or missing parts I am not sure if it could be made right. With that said, it may be salvageable or stripped/used so that others may live. The price? No idea. For me the car is a write off without the MERA bits and the engine isn't worth anything as it is not the original. Might be worth it to someone looking for an engine though.
sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post02-23-2021 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tha cars are such low production there will come a time not too long from now that people will be very sorry it wasnt saved.
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doubtful it has a branded title, and the original engine is missing. this has ruined any collectable value.
Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Facebook ad has a pic of the Mera build tag, it's 7071. The title for mine doesn't have any reference to a Mera, it is titled as a Pontiac Fiero.

Post corrected to show the correct build tag for the Facebook Mera.

[This message has been edited by Larryinkc (edited 03-01-2021).]

sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2021 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:
and the original engine is missing. this has ruined any collectable value.

Totally false. Collector value is still there or else it would've already been scrapped. Plenty of people want it. But they want it for their price.
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2021 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what does a non trashed (nice) Mera usually sell for? I haven't seen one for sale in a while.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2021 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryinkc:

The Facebook ad has a pic of the Mera build tag, it's 8044. The title for mine doesn't have any reference to a Mera, it is titled as a Pontisc Fiero.

This is Mera 7071 if we are still talking about the trashed Mera. The 8044 indicated is for an 88 Mera and the damaged one is for an 87.

Nelson
Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2021 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

This is Mera 7071 if we are still talking about the trashed Mera. The 8044 indicated is for an 88 Mera and the damaged one is for an 87.

Nelson

My bad, I saved the Facebook pic of the build tag for 7071 in a folder that had a pic of the 8044 tag and grabbed the wrong one for my post.

indyguy888

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2021 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for indyguy888Send a Private Message to indyguy888Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This Mera body needs to be put in the ground with the other cars at the Cadillac Ranch on Rte 66
RCR

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2021 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock