2.8 turbo or supercharger set up by jjd2296
Started on: 09-08-2018 02:23 PM
Replies: 8 (569 views)
Last post by: hemichet on 09-24-2018 03:44 AM
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2018 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every once and a while I post this to see if anyone has a used setup. Either turbo or ram supercharger with all the need custom exhaust pieces
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2018 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few kits come up from time to time but I would use them only on a low mileage engine (below 50K Miles). The OEM pistons are lightweight cast and don't take well to boost especially when they are well used. Boosting the 2.8L really wakes it up but you can only go so far with the stock engine before it goes boom.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2018 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car has 45k on it and m you not
Looking for 6-8boost
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2018 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2018 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jjd2296:

My car has 45k on it and m you not
Looking for 6-8boost

That engine might be good enough to hold up if it is tuned correctly, using 93 octane gasoline and a spark plug heat range down a point . As for adding a turbo, its really not that hard. If you can piece together some 2" mandrel bends for a crossover pipe, and add a turbo flange you are most of the way there. Any good welder should be able to do this.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

hemichet

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2018 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hemichetSend a Private Message to hemichetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis, you are in N.J. like myself. You know anybody that can make a small boost set up for me. I'm running a slightly modified 3.4 in my 88 Formula. I also have a TH440 that I would like to install as well. Thanks, Chet
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2018 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hemichet:

Dennis, you are in N.J. like myself. You know anybody that can make a small boost set up for me. I'm running a slightly modified 3.4 in my 88 Formula. I also have a TH440 that I would like to install as well. Thanks, Chet

I've done two on automatics but not sure that I want to tackle one again. Then there is the re-programming of the chip and depending on your combination that can be a difficult job. When these system kits first came out in the early 90's (by Miller Woods and Design One systems) they were priced at $3500. There is a guy on eBay that sells a Fiero turbo system for about $1500 but it includes some very shaky parts, a Chinese Turbocharger and no exhaust By the time you get it to work right (DIY) you'll be up another $1000. Point is that a turbo will run you some money so the decision has to be made on your budget. If you go with the TH440 it would require new axles, rewiring and new brackets/mounts. Figure this into the cost as well. The end result will be in the neighborhood of 190HP. For just a bit more you could bolt in a 4.9L V8 powertrain and get 200HP@275 ft lbs of torque with 29 hwy mpg to boot.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2018 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Screw it im just going to drive my be till it blows up then put the syclone turbo with vortec bloc already on the cradle with all the needed parts into my car! All I need is a rebuilt turbo. Will go a lot faster than the 3800 even. It’s 300 Ho with 350 fpt at the flywheel
hemichet

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2018 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hemichetSend a Private Message to hemichetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis, anybody in N.J. that would tackle the TH440 swap for me? I have the Trans and the axels. Email me at chet67@optimum.net

THX

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock