Started on: 03-12-2017 08:41 AM
Replies: 2 (575 views)
Last post by: ltlfrari on 03-13-2017 07:23 AM
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2017 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We are moving house and the new house does not have the room in the garage/driveway/street to play musical cars while we move.
The plan WAS to put the Fiero in storage for a couple of months while we moved. However the gearbox died yesterday and to be honest, I am getting just to old to be crawling around under cars any more.

UPDATE: Gonna keep it for now I think. Rethink the decision once we get into the new house. If I can make it work at all I will.
A lot depends on finding storage for it while we move as I'll have to trailer it there and to the new house.

This is my BABY, it's a GOOD solid car that I've had since 2007. If you really want to know it's story, look at my web site (link below), click on the Diary and start at 2007.
I've fixed pretty much everything on the car over the years but the short version (from what I can remember is)

Battery relocated to the front
Sheet metal work up back around battery box replaced.
S10 brake booster upgrade. The brakes actually WORK now and feel awesome
Hella Vision plus headlights (DOT legal) with legal Halogen bulbs. You can actually SEE at night now. I also added a relay kit to the bulbs so the electrons are not traveling over 30 year old wiring!
Gen 2 headlight motors swap.
NEW dew wipes (well, relatively new). the car came with uninstalled GM OEM OUTER dew wipes when I bought it so I replaced both the inner and outer wipes.
NEW windscreen in 2015
New heater core
Power drivers side mirror. Pass side is wired but I never got around to installing one.
Headliner redone. I removed the headliner, reinforced with with fiberglass and recovered it.
New cat sometime ago (forget when) after old one clogged up from running rich (vac leak, now fixed)
Panel off repaint (by me) in 2015. It's a decent 6 foot paint job (looks good from 6 feet). Not perfect by any stretch but the car looks clean.
15 inch lace wheels (had 14 inch orig)
Newish tires, good tread because I hardly every drive the car (kid's car is usually in the way of getting it out of garage).
Brand new Rodney Dickman gear change cables because I hopes that was all the problem with the stiff gear change was (it wasn't)
New a/c condenser and compressor. AC works but leaks. It had black death. I flushed EVERYTHING, replaced condenser, compressor, orifice and o rings but it still has a leak somewhere. Heat is good though
New heater blower mower somewhere along the way.
Rodney Dickman bulbs in the dash (brighter than stock).
The hood is not perfect. Years ago, a guy in a hopped up Chevy pulled out in front of me and then stopped so I slid under the rear and put a couple of gouges in the hood. I repaired them with SMC adhesive and 'thought' I had it smooth when I prepped it for paint (hard to tell when it's all matt) but with the gloss of the paint, you can see the imperfections.
Newly recovered steering wheel by Irrational here on Pennock's. I've probably got $200 invested in the steering wheel alone! I've still got the old wheel which I'll throw in as well.

Stuff that need s fixing:

It needs a NEW gearbox - 4 speed manual. This one is toast.
Has an exhaust manifold leak. I know there's a bolt/nut missing somewhere on the front manifold but I've not been able to find which one. Since the engine has to come out to change trans, it could be replaced then. I 'think' I swapped most of the bolts for studs years ago which would make removing the manifold easier, but cannot guarantee that.
Center console is in pieces from replacing the shift cables but all the main electrics are hooked up so it runs and drives, just no heater etc because all that is still disconnected. It looks far worse than it is.
Small (very small) sunroof leak. I've never been able to get this one to completely seal even with a new rubber seal. If it's outside I put a plastic sheet over it and then a car cover.to keep the plastic sheet in place. It's been fine like that. Basic rule is don't open the sunroof.

OK, so here's the deal.

I've been on Pennock's since 2001. You may have seen my posts, I've made a few over the years and tried to be an active and hopefully helpful part of the community. I certainly could not have done all the things that I have do without the help of the people on here.

I think somewhere around $500 is a fair price for the car given that it'll need to be towed but that you can see it's history and I'll be as honest about it as I can be.

I love these little cars and letting this one go is not easy for me so the NUMBER ONE requirement is that it GOES TO A GOOD HOME.
I want this to go to someone that will replace the gearbox and give it the love and attention it deserves.
I'll even throw in the well thumbed factory service manual.
If you buy it and don't look after it I will hunt you down.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 03-13-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2017 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish I lived closer. Someone is going to get a real deal.

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2017 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gonna take it off the market for now. Rethinking my decision to sell.
Not sure I'm ready to call it quits yet.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock