Testing the water: 1986 Fiero GT with LX9 3500 swap $3500 by masospaghetti
Started on: 09-05-2015 10:12 PM
Replies: 6 (1205 views)
Last post by: Glen87 on 09-16-2015 01:01 PM
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2015 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not in a hurry but would like to see if there's interest in my Fiero. 86 GT model, 215,000 miles on body. Has a LX9 3500 engine with 7730 computer and 5-speed Getrag. Motor has approx 20k miles on it and came from a 2004 Malibu. Trans was bought from a fellow forum member and has approx. 80k miles on it. Drivetrain is very strong, motor does not use oil, transmission does not grind gears and has a new kevlar clutch pack installed. It also has Rodney's input shaft bearing kit installed. The emissions controls on the motor have been retained and work properly (canister purge and EGR) but catalytic converter has been removed.

All suspension parts were replaced within the past 3 years. Brakes have just been converted to vented discs front and rear (Beretta conversion on the front, Seville calipers and Beretta rotors on the rear). Parking brake was retained and works properly. A/C blows cold but there's evidence that the compressor is leaking. Steering rack was rebuilt with a new bushing and new inner and outer tie rod ends. Cosmetically it shows well and I get compliments pretty frequently. The paint job is not perfect. It is an oil based enamel. Interior is overall in good shape but there's a couple spots where the dash isn't perfect. Headliner has been recovered. Seats were reupholstered locally using Pillex fabric (the same type as OE with the diamond pattern). Headlights have been converted to Gen 2 with rebuilt motors. New radiator. Front sway bar has zero lash end links and there's a rear aftermarket sway bar installed.

Brakes are strong but they pull to the left, I don't know why. Tires are 9-month old Cooper CS5 Ultras. Also included would be a set of 88 black lace wheels with Dunlop Direzza tires with a little bit of tread left.

I can provide any information about this car if desired. There's way more work in it than described here. Thanks for looking!

EDIT: Added interior pictures and additional info.

[This message has been edited by masospaghetti (edited 09-06-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2015 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice car. That's a nice looking swap, too!

GLWS.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-05-2015).]

masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2015 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! Monday bump.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2015 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Free bump.
For the amount of work put into it, the price is very good. I believe that this 3500 engine is part of the GM high value series. Power output should be in the 195 hp to 201 hp range with higher torque numbers than HP. It has a reputation as being an efficient smooth running V6.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2015 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis, you're correct. It's the successor to the 3100/3400 series. In the Malibu it generated 200 hp / 220 ft-lbs of torque. Thanks for the bump.
masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2015 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sold! Thanks everyone...
Glen87

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2015 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Glen87Send a Private Message to Glen87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking of selling my Fiero that is similar to this one. Mind if I ask how much you let it go for?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock