Part needed -hard to find-please help by Lou and Blue
Started on: 04-06-2015 07:46 AM
Replies: 12 (491 views)
Last post by: CarverToo on 04-08-2015 12:47 PM
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 85 GT and the air filter canister has a ring gasket that's like a thick foam rubber rubber band that goes around the "outlet" snout where the rubber tube fits on (the tube that goes to the throttle body).
I asked Rodney and he says his 88 didnt have that and I noticed that many pictures I've seen of air filter canisters do not have the groove in the snout for that gasket, like mine has. They must be later years.

So, if anyone has an air filter canister from an 85 or other earlier year that DOES have the groove in the snout and the associated gasket, I am looking for that gasket.

I can't post pics but if you think you may have what I need I can email a picture to you to make sure.

Thanks everyone!
Louis

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
3800sc series 2 swap in progress
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

[This message has been edited by Lou and Blue (edited 04-06-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump- somebody has got to have one of these laying around. I see so many open air filter mods using a cone air filter. I'm sure many have ditched the factory air filter canister.
Thanks !
Louis

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

hetterbr

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hetterbrSend a Private Message to hetterbrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would suggest contacting the Fiero Factory. They have always been able to help me with hard to find parts.
john-t-b

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john-t-bSend a Private Message to john-t-bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by john-t-b:

Not sure but does this help?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pon...em1c4c331ac9&vxp=mtr

Thanks for posting that picture! Do you happen to know where that exact kind of explod a view diagram would be for the v6 air canister from 1985? The pic you linked to is the 4 cylinder version which had a different air filter canister. An explod a view drawing with part numbers listed would be excellent. Then I could goto gmpartsnow.com and order what I need using the part number.

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

DJErikd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DJErikdSend a Private Message to DJErikdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here you go

Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's so strange! That pic is from 85 and the gasket isn't on that diagram. Either is the grooved part of the snout to hold the gasket. Juat like Rodney said his 88 didnt have that groove it was just a smooth snout. I wish I could post a pic of mine to show y'all.

I can call the fiero factory but I wasnt looking for a used part, but it looks like that may be all that is available.

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This gasket you describe, is it really an O-ring>? I only ask because you mentioned a groove and O-rings usually fit in a groove.

Also check out some of the recalls. I believe a different style hose to snout was used. The newer hose had a port in it for a vent pipe from the valve cover. Maybe the earlier ones before the recall had a groove.

Let me know if this helps.
Wait,, I think I might of found something.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 04-07-2015).]

AL68

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL68Send a Private Message to AL68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe your car didn't have the air intake recall done to it? I have an 85 GT in storage, seem to remember something like that when I replaced the motor.
The air intake tube was different from any other car I've seen. It sat since the early 90's with a blown motor, found out none of the recalls hade been done.
Does the tube going into the front valve cover go to the air cleaner housing or the air intake tube?

edit:
what he said above too, I waited to long to hit POST

2nd edit:
This is the tube I had, there was a seal for the hard plastic tube to the air cleaner.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/091428.html
Might be hard to find, they were thrown away when the recall was done.

[This message has been edited by AL68 (edited 04-07-2015).]

Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spoon, yes ! That picture shows the snout gasket I need !

I guess my car never had that recall done.

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou and Blue

1349 posts
Member since Dec 2013
spoon, is that picture you posted a part you have on hand? if so would you be willing to sell the gasket off it? Thanks.
Louis

Originally posted by Spoon:

This gasket you describe, is it really an O-ring>? I only ask because you mentioned a groove and O-rings usually fit in a groove.

Also check out some of the recalls. I believe a different style hose to snout was used. The newer hose had a port in it for a vent pipe from the valve cover. Maybe the earlier ones before the recall had a groove.

Let me know if this helps.
Wait,, I think I might of found something.

Spoon

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No I don't have it. I did a search on the web & found it.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

CarverToo

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarverTooSend a Private Message to CarverTooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know, a vacuum cleaner drive belt of an appropriate diameter might work for you. Just go into Lowes/Home Depot and check them out. You'll want to look for the older "round" style (cross-section) type.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock