Started on: 05-07-2014 08:18 PM
Replies: 5 (171 views)
Last post by: Blue87t-top on 05-08-2014 07:50 AM
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since my dads passing on the 25th of last month, I have walked out everyday to see my once beautiful 85gt that he had built for me. We were supposed to rebuild it back to its former glory but circumstances stopped that from happening. It is my goal to pay homage to my dad and fix this wonderful car.

My first goal is to get it back in driving condition. I would like to see if anybody has or knows somebody who has a Getrag 5speed Manual Trans. My dad and I were going to take the trans in my car now and take another trans we have, take them apart and rebuild one good one out of both of them. I really don't have a lot of time now to rebuild a trans, so any help would be appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blue87t-top

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue87t-topSend a Private Message to Blue87t-topEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As an 85 GT, are you sure it was a getrag? I believe those started shipping partway through the 86 model year (May have been swapped prior, of course).

No parts to offer, posting primarily to clarify the ask, & also to offer sympathies for your loss. My Dad & I spent quality time working my Fiero as well before he passed

Best,

Steve
partfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im pretty sure it was a Getrag, the last time my dad mentioned anything. Of course that was a while ago. Thanks for bringing that up. I will have to check. If I cant figure it out, I will take pics and post here.
partfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

partfiero

6923 posts
Member since Jan 2002
I know its a 5 spd. Not sure how many 5 spd trannys they made
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for your loss and good luck with the restoration. If its a 5 speed it must have been changed, 85 GT's all came with 4 speed Muncie gear boxes
Blue87t-top

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue87t-topSend a Private Message to Blue87t-topEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might be an Isuzu trans (out of a 4 cylinder), or a getrag from a later model if it was a 5 speed.

Different transmissions have different throw out bearings, mounts, cables, & possibly other dependencies. I searched the tech forum looking for a "how do I tell" years ago & found the cradle pull I purchased way back then was a 4 speed out of an 85 GT, which is why this pinged my radar.

The following threads were of some help though: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/125111.html &
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/123599.html.

As a swap, it's also possible it came from another car - Rodney Dickman has a ~great~ write up on such swaps and their dependencies here:

http://www.rodneydickman.com/getraginfo.htm

Bottom line, there's differences that go further than you might think... I'd suggest further searches in the tech section, or posting pics of your transmission (close-up on clutch slave, cables & mounts) to the tech section to determine what you've got so that you can better acquire the right parts to get your project back on the road...

Best of luck,

Steve

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock