Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  GROUP BUY: 84-87 13" Front Brake (C5 Corvette) Brackets (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
GROUP BUY: 84-87 13" Front Brake (C5 Corvette) Brackets by doublec4
Started on: 05-09-2013 08:44 PM
Replies: 74 (2740 views)
Last post by: Fiervette on 06-16-2014 11:38 AM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Starting a group buy for brackets to fit 13" brakes from the C5 Corvette on the front of the 84-87's

The calipers come from Corvettes years 1996-2004 (Generation C5) and the stock rotors are approximately 13" in diameter. The calipers and rotors are plentiful (and relatively cheap) since the Corvette guys like to upgrade as well. The front Corvette calipers are very light as they are made from aluminum.

The brackets are waterjet cut from 6061 Aluminum (with TIG welded bosses) and are very light. They position the caliper so that there should be no interference with any of the suspension components at full lock (with the vehicle on the ground).

These front brakes are a great match with the 11.25" rear brakes from the "Lebaron" swap, or if you have 12" rear brakes from the C4 Corvette swap. I am personally using the rear Lebaron swap with my 13" Corvette brakes up front and I have not found that I need to increase rear bias. The brake balance is great.

What you will need extra are concentric rings for the front rotors (as well as having the rotors drilled to 5x100 bolt pattern)

and the hardware (I can source the hardware if many people request it):

(4) M14 x 40 hex bolts (Grade 10.9 or better)
(4) M12 (1.75 thread) x 30 hex bolts (Grade 10.9 or better)

As with every other brake swap, keep in the mind the following:

Make sure 13" brakes fit inside your wheels. 17" wheels minimum, and you can print / cut out a template from here to see if the caliper/rotor offset works with your wheels:

http://www.kore3.com/downlo...emplates/DOC0004.pdf

Price will be $140 for the front brackets. Please post or pm me if interested. I am looking to get a minimum of 5 people in the group buy before I can make them .

Thank you!

Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

I would also like to add a general disclaimer... Intended for off road use only. I will not be held responsible for any injury or damage related to the use of these brackets.
------------------

Check out my build and my website!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 05-11-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally someone decided to make these brackets up. These calipers are so plentiful and they are one of the best brake upgrades out there. Hopefully we can get 4 more people in on the group buy. Just let me know where and when you need the money and I will get it to you. Thank you for making these, Daniel
cavalier3400z

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cavalier3400zClick Here to visit cavalier3400z's HomePageSend a Private Message to cavalier3400zEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would be awesome if you could use calipers and 14in rotors from a 2009 to present camaro ss, z06, cadilac ctsv. They are 4 piston calipers. I put them on my z24.
cavalier3400z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cavalier3400zClick Here to visit cavalier3400z's HomePageSend a Private Message to cavalier3400zEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cavalier3400z

52 posts
Member since Oct 2012
Are they dual piston calipers?
daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes the front calipers from the 97-03 vette are 2 piston calipers.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really shouldn't.... but I'm so in on this, dude.
Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in too !!!

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys!

That was faster than I thought. I'll leave this open for a few more days, let some other people see this. I'll definitely be doing a batch by the looks of it.

Just to confirm what has already been posted, the Corvette front calipers are dual piston calipers. Your stock brake lines will work with these as well, I didn't have to modify mine at all. Bleeders will correctly face upwards.

------------------

Embrace Racing

Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a set of "88 front brackets if anyone wants them

jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just for info, the 98-04 Camaro calipers are the same without CORVETTE script and can be bought cheap..

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar
86GT 3800 n/a

PFF
System Bot
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tell me about the centering rings, and where one might get 'em! If I can reasonably source them, I'm in for brackets as well!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jb1:

just for info, the 98-04 Camaro calipers are the same without CORVETTE script and can be bought cheap..

This is true, however, I cannot confirm that the abutment bracket is the same for the Camaro calipers. If someone wants to try, that would be great. Otherwise you can still use the Camaro calipers with the Corvette abutment brackets from my understanding.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 06:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by thesameguy:

Tell me about the centering rings, and where one might get 'em! If I can reasonably source them, I'm in for brackets as well!

You can get them from several different vendors on this site, or you can just take that drawing I posted to your local machine shop and they should be able to make you a set while they drill your rotors to 5x100 bolt pattern.

Since they are not load bearing, if you know anyone with a 3D printer, you can get them to print you off a set in plastic. That's what I did and it worked out great! (For an extra $10 I can have him print you off a set if you order the brackets, just let me know)

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 05-10-2013).]

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks real good. From the responses I've seen in the past, a good 13" option for the 84-87 years was needed. It shouldn't be too hard to determine if the Corvette and F-body abutment brackets are the same (Rock auto p/ns?). Good luck with the sale...

(and bump)

Bob
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Looks real good. From the responses I've seen in the past, a good 13" option for the 84-87 years was needed. It shouldn't be too hard to determine if the Corvette and F-body abutment brackets are the same (Rock auto p/ns?). Good luck with the sale...

(and bump)

Bob

Thank you,

I haven't had time to confirm the part numbers but I have a feeling they are different numbers. However, that doesn't rule out that they aren't the same. I actually used the Camaro slider pins on my calipers (which were a different part number) and they are dimensionally identical. The Corvette pins were twice as expensive and they didn't have any in stock. So I went with the Camaro ones since I knew the calipers were virtually identical and they fit fine.

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

You can get them from several different vendors on this site, or you can just take that drawing I posted to your local machine shop and they should be able to make you a set while they drill your rotors to 5x100 bolt pattern.

Since they are not load bearing, if you know anyone with a 3D printer, you can get them to print you off a set in plastic. That's what I did and it worked out great! (For an extra $10 I can have him print you off a set if you order the brackets, just let me know)

Sounds great - sign me up for the brackets and the rings. It's just easier to get everything in one place.

Thanks!
cavalier3400z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cavalier3400zClick Here to visit cavalier3400z's HomePageSend a Private Message to cavalier3400zEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just to let you know, camaro calipers are weaker and thinner then corvette calipers. It is the difference in how they pour the metal into the mold. Also I believe the corvette has slightly bigger pistons. The camaro ones heat up quicker too and have smaller vents/ louvers.
cavalier3400z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cavalier3400zClick Here to visit cavalier3400z's HomePageSend a Private Message to cavalier3400zEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cavalier3400z

52 posts
Member since Oct 2012
You can also interchange c5 and c6 calipers, but the price goes up close to 50%. The c6 calipers have about 40% performance increase.
1shot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1shotSend a Private Message to 1shotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put me down for a set with concentric rings, please.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, so far so good! If you're thinking about ordering, get in on the group buy now

PFF
System Bot
Fiero Tom

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2013 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero TomSend a Private Message to Fiero TomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What must be done to the brake master and booster to use the Corvette brakes?
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2013 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There were no Camaros made in 2003-04.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2013 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Tom:

What must be done to the brake master and booster to use the Corvette brakes?

I have not modified my brake booster but I did go with the blazer master cylinder. Info on part numbers can be found here:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030819-1-026394.html

There are several people who have "big brake" upgrades that have not increased the bore size of their master cylinder and they report that the don't need it. You can always go that route and then upgrade the master cylinder afterwards if you feel that you need to move more fluid. Remember that a bigger master cylinder will result in a pressure drop in your hydraulic system. However, with the larger caliper pistons requiring more fluid, you may need the bigger MC bore. It's a trade off.
tonycampbell86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2013 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tonycampbell86gtClick Here to visit tonycampbell86gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to tonycampbell86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please add me to the list.

BTW, love the red & black! Have you lowered the car?

Thanks,
Tony
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2013 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tonycampbell86gt:

Please add me to the list.

BTW, love the red & black! Have you lowered the car?

Thanks,
Tony

Thank you Tony!

You're on the list.

I have lowered the car quite a bit in the front (Eibach lowering springs cut half a coil) with DIY coil overs in the rear.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last bump, last chance!

Otherwise I'll be starting the manufacturing tomorrow!
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a question:

If you've got the ability to 3D print plastic centering rings for the brakes, how hard would it be to make a ring that is 10mm or so thicker than the rotor, and stepped on the OD - first step with ID of the Corvette rotor, and the second step 73mm thick to center aftermarket wheels? If that's something you can do, it'd be amazing! I would definitely be willing to pay extra for that! Maybe put a slight bevel on the very outer edge to ease the wheel install?

[This message has been edited by thesameguy (edited 05-14-2013).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here's a question:

If you've got the ability to 3D print plastic centering rings for the brakes, how hard would it be to make a ring that is 10mm or so thicker than the rotor, and stepped on the OD - first step with ID of the Corvette rotor, and the second step 73mm thick to center aftermarket wheels? If that's something you can do, it'd be amazing! I would definitely be willing to pay extra for that! Maybe put a slight bevel on the very outer edge to ease the wheel install?

Can very easily be done.

I did (sort of) the same thing with my car. I made a stepped adapter that went from the ID of my wheel spacer, back to the OD of the stock hub so my concentric wheel rings still worked:

All I need are dimensions and I can easily have any step/ring/adapter made. Since the 3D printing process (on DIY machines) can have somewhat large tolerances, you may have to sand them down a little if the fit is too tight. It's just plastic so it's quite easy to do.

Just let me know
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
On that note, the group buy is now closed.

I'll be having these manufactured as soon as possible. Not certain on what the lead time is but I'll keep everyone updated.

Thanks!

------------------

Embrace Racing

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

I did (sort of) the same thing with my car. I made a stepped adapter that went from the ID of my wheel spacer, back to the OD of the stock hub so my concentric wheel rings still worked:

That was my first thought, but I didn't especially like the idea of a plastic centering ring being centered on a plastic centering ring.

The wheels I'm running are Kosei K1-TS with a 73mm hub bore (http://www.koseijp.co.jp/engfl/NewPage08/Product/Specs/K1-TS.htm). A centering ring with Fiero ID (57.1mm?) and an inner OD of [Corvette Rotor] and an outer OD of 73mm would be perfect. I don't know the hat thickness of the Corvette rotor nor the hub ID, but I imagine you do. The 73mm OD section probably doesn't haven't to be too thick - I think 8-10mm is customary? If you have the ability to bevel the outer edge to make slipping the wheel on easier, that would be great, but if not - as you say - I can just sand one into it.

Thanks!
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That was my first thought, but I didn't especially like the idea of a plastic centering ring being centered on a plastic centering ring.

The wheels I'm running are Kosei K1-TS with a 73mm hub bore (http://www.koseijp.co.jp/engfl/NewPage08/Product/Specs/K1-TS.htm). A centering ring with Fiero ID (57.1mm?) and an inner OD of [Corvette Rotor] and an outer OD of 73mm would be perfect. I don't know the hat thickness of the Corvette rotor nor the hub ID, but I imagine you do. The 73mm OD section probably doesn't haven't to be too thick - I think 8-10mm is customary? If you have the ability to bevel the outer edge to make slipping the wheel on easier, that would be great, but if not - as you say - I can just sand one into it.

Thanks!

No problem that's easy. Might cost a few dollars more since my 3D printing guy charges based on volume of the piece but it can be done. I can do a quick model in CAD.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a problem - just let me know the damage.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bracket machining is underway!
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Krodyob11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2013 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Krodyob11Send a Private Message to Krodyob11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any chance you would run a second group buy? I would really like to have a set.
Flux

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2013 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FluxSend a Private Message to FluxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to do this upgrade aswell after my engine swap
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2013 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will run a second group buy. I also ordered a few extra sets for this group buy.

So if you would like a pair when these are ready, just post or pm me letting me know you're in for sure and we can work out payment.

Thanks!
FieroGTguy

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2013 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll take a set with rings. Any plans for rear kits?

What's your Paypal e-mail?

Thanks,
Greg

------------------

jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2013 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGTguy:

I'll take a set with rings. Any plans for rear kits?

What's your Paypal e-mail?

Thanks,
Greg

I know Purple Reign used same front and rear, that has been my plan once I get my wheels..

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar
86GT 3800 n/a

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave