Started on: 09-17-2012 07:54 AM
Replies: 23 (1597 views)
Last post by: OHNIKO on 05-14-2015 12:33 AM
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, I need to give a little history. A few years ago when researching my 3800 project, I came across a thread explaning how to build fuel rails on the cheap using the stock rail set up. At the time I had no experience in building something like that, or how the fuel system of the 3800 actually worked to take on such an endeavor. After multiple unanswered PMs to the threads author requesting more info or if he would build me a set. I decided to try it for myself, so I set out to procure all of the tools and parts he used. After multiple failures and retries, I was finally able to make my first set. They were crude, and ugly but worked but I was never happy with them. When the opportunity to build another 3800 came up, I decided to revisit the fuel rail issue and came up with a different way of making them. What I came up with, although similar was way better looking and much cleaner than the originals and gives a nicer look to the engine compartment with a much better view of the supercharger. I mean, we really want the center piece of the engine to be the supercharger right?

After recently being contacted by another member to make another set of fuel rails, I decided to make another couple of sets to see if there is a market for these. So before I go any further, I'd like to know if there is any interest. The problem is, is that from start to finish, it takes quite a bit of time to make these and I don't want to get ahead of myself and make a half dozen sets that I can't sell. My price point would be "around" $250 which includes shipping and I would need your core or $25 to cover the cost of the core (that's what I can get them for at the yard here). Rails include already formed GM push lock fittings, as the originals, for use with the Pontiac Transport stainless lines, pressure tested to verify integrity. Relocated FP regulator which will require a slight modification to the boost bypass valve solenoid and relocation of the vacuum lines. Plus everything is bead blasted and painted black. Please let me know what you think.

First set, notice the fuel pressure regulator and the front of the rails. These were clearence for the alternator that I decided to low mount instead.

2nd set,These are from my personnel swap and have been running for 2 yrs

3rd set, been running for a year or so

[This message has been edited by Fierofreak00 (edited 09-17-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Luke

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LukeClick Here to visit Luke's HomePageSend a Private Message to LukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They look good, your swap looks even better. That's one hot paint job on the supercharged and valve cover (pun intended) .

Seems like a fair price point for something that looks a lot better than the basic zzp modded rails and is cheaper than than their fuel logs. I think the obstacles for you will be marketing and demand, I always see a lot of people saying hey I will buy that and when it comes time to buy it they dont have the money (especially in the current economy).

If you can economically make them one or two at a time you will probably do allright, but I dont know if larger scale production would be worth it. (unless you do a prepaid group buy)

My $0.02
Hardpact

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HardpactSend a Private Message to HardpactEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These are a one work and look great in person ... Jason is very anal when it come to building something !!

------------------

BLUE BY YOU!
NYFOC

NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks nice. However.... the price! Wish I had the skill and means to do it to my fuel rails.

------------------
It's a CAR, now drive it!!

http://community.webshots.c...rx32?vhost=community

cleppsfierogts

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cleppsfierogtsSend a Private Message to cleppsfierogtsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a set of Jason's fuel rails. His craftsmanship is seceond to none. The rails are much cleaner and a great alternative to the stock fuel rails.
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NightMare Cruiser:

Looks nice. However.... the price! Wish I had the skill and means to do it to my fuel rails.

I really thought the price was good and reasonable, It's much less than any of the aftermarket ones I have seen and much better looking...IMHO. It really does take alot of time to make these and I have had a couple of happy customers at this price point. But again, that's why I did state "around" not firm. Thanks for the input. -Jason
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seen them in person as well.. top notch..
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I say the price is pretty good since shipping is included. $225 would be more reasonal to me but I am cheap. I have thought about selling my ZZP rails so I can buy a set...
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

I say the price is pretty good since shipping is included. $225 would be more reasonal to me but I am cheap. I have thought about selling my ZZP rails so I can buy a set...

Stephen your not cheap, your frugal, like me...
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fierofreak00

4221 posts
Member since Jun 2001
Based on the concensus, would the price point would be better around $225 with a $25 core? Maybe I could add a couple of options like a relocated FPR (further down the rail) Fiero style screw on connectors, an extra pressure port for a fuel gauge (I have done this to mine so I can run a seperate gauge, and to keep the sender hidden)....
Honestly, I really have to see what the approx shipping would be to make this a worthwhile endeavor. These things are a little wider that the stock rails which means I need a large box and UPS shipping. I will be sending one out to Texas this week, I'll see what it costs to ship it there. Please keep the comments coming. -Jason
Luke

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LukeClick Here to visit Luke's HomePageSend a Private Message to LukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
225 is a good price point, I would agree, based on the cost of others out there.

If you ever plan to ship to Canada UPS is to be avoided, their BS brokerage fees basically double the item price. Fed Ex is so so (hit and miss) and USPS is the best bet to ship to Canada. Like everyone else I imagine you will (should) tack on some extra shipping cost on top of the 225 so that you are making the same as in the lower 48 and most people will gladly pay as long as its USPS
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

Based on the concensus, would the price point would be better around $225 with a $25 core? Maybe I could add a couple of options like a relocated FPR (further down the rail) Fiero style screw on connectors, an extra pressure port for a fuel gauge (I have done this to mine so I can run a seperate gauge, and to keep the sender hidden)....
Honestly, I really have to see what the approx shipping would be to make this a worthwhile endeavor. These things are a little wider that the stock rails which means I need a large box and UPS shipping. I will be sending one out to Texas this week, I'll see what it costs to ship it there. Please keep the comments coming. -Jason

I think so. You made me a set of these rails a long while back but never used them cause I went ICed. I sold then to a guy in Cali but unsure if his swap ever go put on the road. I really like the looks of the rails and to me they are much cleaner then the bulkier after market rails that are out there for sale and beats there price by a long shot. I will be hitting u up in the future for a set that will work with my ICed setup that I plan on going back to.
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2012 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

I think so. You made me a set of these rails a long while back but never used them cause I went ICed. I sold then to a guy in Cali but unsure if his swap ever go put on the road. I really like the looks of the rails and to me they are much cleaner then the bulkier after market rails that are out there for sale and beats there price by a long shot. I will be hitting u up in the future for a set that will work with my ICed setup that I plan on going back to.

That's a good point, these should work with a intercooled engine with some modification to one of the mounting rails. There will be no need for the injector spacers. I have a short stack intercooler and should see what needs to be done to make them work. -Jason

Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2012 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are these brazed or welded? Looks real nice.
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2012 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

Are these brazed or welded? Looks real nice.

Thanks, they are brazed, I don't think you could weld them as they are quite thin. Maybe, you could, in theory tig weld them but, I have no experience in tig welding yet. I have a brand new tig welder I bought 5 years ago. I haven't wired my garage for 220v yet, so it just sits in the box waiting for me to wire it up. -Jason

Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2013 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump...Another set has been sent out. Hoping to hear a review soon.

Also, I have re-designed the mounting points, as discussed earlier in the thread. This allows for use with an intercooler so that you can get rid of the injector and rail spacers. I am also going to change the length (on the next set) of the inlet and return lines to exit at the top of the rear valve cover. This will make it easier for me to make (less material and bends) and it will be alot easier to ship. I can make the inlet and outlet the same as the were, exiting around the a/c conditioner if desired. I am also still working on a direct plug and play A/C line conversion as well, this is still in the planning stage. I've built two of these but I'm not happy with the look. Their functional but ugly -Jason
DefEddie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2013 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a picture of the rails?
All I can see is half a rail and the engine.
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2013 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sure I do, this isn't the actual sale thread I wanted so I haven't posted any yet....I'll get some up as soon as I can. Also, all PM's have been replied too. Thanks for your interests -Jason
Brian T. Brown

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian T. BrownSend a Private Message to Brian T. BrownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the set from the first pic on this page. I know, old thread. lol

------------------
Brian T. Brown
1987 Fiero GT Fastback
1998 Grand Prix GTP

s.knight

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 05:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for s.knightSend a Private Message to s.knightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am collecting 3800 parts like crazy. Fuel rails are still a ways down my priority list but I hope they are available in a few months when I might be able to get them. Price seems reasonable to me.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by s.knight:

I am collecting 3800 parts like crazy. Fuel rails are still a ways down my priority list but I hope they are available in a few months when I might be able to get them. Price seems reasonable to me.

If you plan to use a IC: U need these.
If you want a clean swap: u need these.
If you have limited funds but still want to look good: u need these.

U need these so move them up on the priority list...lol

Shameless plug...
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

If you plan to use a IC: U need these.
If you want a clean swap: u need these.
If you have limited funds but still want to look good: u need these.

U need these so move them up on the priority list...lol

Shameless plug...

I saw these custom fuel rails at Carlisle. They are a well fabricated, carefully made product that look excellent on a stock or dressed up engine. Custom rails are one of the few ways that you can move the fuel and return connections to the front for a clean uncluttered look.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And they look so nice when installed.....
OHNIKO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pm sent Jason!

some one tell him !

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock