Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  And now for something completely different (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
And now for something completely different by artworks
Started on: 03-26-2012 08:23 AM
Replies: 204 (25378 views)
Last post by: Will on 09-10-2023 09:27 PM
artworks

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

These are the license plate lights - from a Porsche Cayenne via China for LED versions. Another eBay special. I didn't want the lights to show so They're recessed in about 1/4"

[This message has been edited by artworks (edited 07-15-2017).]

IP: Logged
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Glassing together the rear quarter panels and the rear roof panel. Boring work but very necessary

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010

Chief Pontiac emblem and the filler cover mounted. There's a fair amount of work in making the filler cover fit, since the body panel doesn't have much flat surface to start with.

Mockup of the rear bumper. Eventually this wil be a 4" aluminum or stainless tube bumper holding about 5 gallons of compressed air (for the air bags)

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010

The lines don't show very well on these photos, but I'm trying to decide where to separate the gloss paint (upper) from the Line-X rough texture (lower). On the hood and doors it's easy, since there's a body line to follow. For the rear quarter I'm not yet sure if the line should sweep up to the rear panel or step up just ahead of the rear wheel flare. Opinions appreciated.

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would look cool sweeping up at the rear like that. It's coming along nicely.
Ry86GT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2013 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ry86GTSend a Private Message to Ry86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love your build. For me it's a cross betweena a little sports car and a buggy. Reminds me of my old tracker a little bit in proprtions/size. It really appeals to me.

Why not try following the arch of the wheel flare with the line-x around the wheel, and either carrying on with your existing line from there or even bringing it down around the back to between the tail lights and reverse lights? Or even through the lights? That might show a little more body colour from the rear view. Here's a quick paint edit I did of your photo with how I imagine it. I personally prefer one of the two lower lines, but that's just me. To finish it at the front I'd just wrap it all the way around the fender flare like the back and leave it at that.

Question about the winch, how is it usable being that far back into the body?

[This message has been edited by Ry86GT (edited 04-17-2013).]

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2013 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the ideas on the paint line - it helps to see it from your perspective.

The winch cable will feed below the radiator, through two nylon rollers. The rollers are mounted on the sway bar and a piece of cold rolled steel, so I don't think they're going anywhere. Most likely, the design will have the effect of lifting up the front of the car when the winch is pulling - not a bad thing when I'm stuck.

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2013 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates?
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2013 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by artworks:

Mockup of the rear bumper. Eventually this wil be a 4" aluminum or stainless tube bumper holding about 5 gallons of compressed air (for the air bags)

What about two air tanks? http://image.jpmagazine.com...a_light_air_pack.jpg

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 05-26-2013).]

PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2013 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by artworks:

I think I've found the gauges I want to install in the car. I want to go with the cockpit look. I don't know if they'll fit in the stock pods. I need to do some "ciphering"

I think it would be cool to fit the new gauges in the original pod, like the Volvo R-sport gauges: http://volvo2.homestead.com/files/r-sport5.jpg

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates?
PFF
System Bot
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2014 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its been far too long since I've posted anything. I haven't been resting on my laurels - instead I've been working on a few other projects - a 1935 Dodge "Humpback" panel truck for my brother, and a 1967 4x4 Camaro for my step-daughter. (they're both long stories). Anyway, I've gotten back into the project. First up, building a mount for the air compressor and air bag control valves. Then trying to get all the panels to line up. Any body kit is a bear, and this one is no exception. Pics to follow.

[This message has been edited by artworks (edited 03-10-2014).]

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2014 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010

These three photos show the compressor mount - it sits about 1 inch above the winch. It still needs the mounting base for the compressor and valve body (the cardboard boxes are built to the overall dimensions of the pieces). I'm also going to install a shield at the front of the mounting box to protect the compressor from dirt coming through the radiator.

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Been working on making the decklid fit the new fiberglass - not as easy as you would think.

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010

Finally finished fabricating the compressor and valve body mount. The first photo shows the parts mounted in place. The next two show the powder coated frame and polished aluminum base and windscreen.

davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see your still in the game on this project, I love this build! Was going to start a topic on top 10 builds on this site and you are defiantly one of them.

[This message has been edited by davylong86 (edited 01-25-2015).]

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, I'm still in the project. I've had my focus on building a handicap-accessible custom for my parapalegic brother. For the last year my friends and I have been rebuilding a 1935 Dodge "Humback" panel truck, including a new small block 350 with a 700R4 trans, new wiring, EFI, a wheelchair lift in the back and a power, swivel seat so he can get into the cab. Here's a pic:

And if that's not enough, I'm also trying to complete a build for my 17 year old. That project is a 1967 Camaro sitting on a 1995 Tahoe 4wd frame. I definately need to work on my own car more.

davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a awesome truck! and what a good brother you are. Keep plugin a way
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very Cool Project. I have always loved the look / style of that kit. It makes for a great all season Fiero. Plus the looks at the gas stations will be priceless.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics For Sale $4000, Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

WICKEDWILDFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WICKEDWILDFIEROSend a Private Message to WICKEDWILDFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump.
WICKED
2tone86gt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2015 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You've got some cool ideas here, keep up the good work
PFF
System Bot
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2015 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The drivetrain is back out of the car and has been shipped off to Cadillac Hot Rod Fabricators in CA for a complete rebuild with forged internals. The plan also includes CHRF building new exhaust manifolds to let the high RPM breathing begin, and a nitrous shot...just because.

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2015 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010

The body is off the car again, and has a nice thick coat of polyurethane primer for smoothing and strength.

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2015 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010
The progress you're seeing is being done by Michael Dumas @ Platimun Custom Cars in Manteno, IL. Like most folks that have seen this project, he thinks I'm a little nuts, but he's happy to do the work. The Northstar is a little different for him tho...
https://www.facebook.com/#!...211705537317?fref=ts
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alan Johnson at CHRF has the motor apart and new parts on order. A minor re-bore to clean up the cylinders, new pistons and rods which will take the compression from 10.3:1 up to 11.7:1, ARP studs and bolts to hold it all together, and the aforementioned exhaust. We're shooting for 400 H.P. before the nitrous shot.
davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! All show and go, your not messing around. Cant wait to see this when its done.
Inferno

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AMAZING! NOW DONT EFFING QUIT THE BUILD THREAD! But seriously please dont quit the build thread mysteriously. As you probably noticed too many people only go so far then just stop posting. If it ever gets to a point that it looks like things have slowed down just please please post that here too so we know that, A- given up, B- got bored, C- run out of money, D- what ever just say something.

Your thread I read today has now inspired me to continue working on my project. I will be out in the garage later today sweating away lol. Thanks so much and all the best in your adventure.

May the force be with you.. lol
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was watching a show on Power Block yesterday and they had these old school Jeeps out on trails and I thought MAN that would be fun in a Fiero, but you would get laughed out of the park in a 2wd anything, and you can't really put a transfer case in a Fiero, without going front engine then its not really a Fiero. So it was end of story.

Until this morning when I had a brainstorm. You CAN do a 4wd Fiero and keep it mid engine, without the need for a transfer case or drive shafts. The guys down south have already done it for the Grassroots Challenge.

If I remember correctly they used an AWD Blazer Independent front suspension. They used the spindles from the blazer and the front diff, with custom CV shafts between the diff and the spindles, as they were mounted to Fiero front control arms. Then the diff was powered not by the engine, but by a HUGE electric motor, they had Prius battery packs in the Fiero.

So the entire front drive-train was all electric with the stock Gasoline drive-train for the rear wheels. You could drive all 4 wheels, or dissengage either set and run on just Front Wheel electric or gas Rear or BOTH for some serious 60ft times.

Now if you took all that and put it into a Jalapeno, you could have one heck of a Seriously fun off road rig. The electrics can give you FULL Instant TORQUE from ZERO RPM, which would be awesome. Could you imagine the looks on the trail guys faces when you roll up in something that sorta looks like a Jeep, but is a Mid Engine, Fuel Injected V8, 4wd trail rig. That never has to worry about U-Joints or T-Cases slamming the rocks. Add in Air Bag suspension................

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics For Sale $4000, Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2015 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Northstar rebuild is coming together - here's a pic of the engine after Cadillac Hot Rod Fabricators went through it. The valve covers are on the motor right behind it.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2015 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just in case you were not aware.... those polished aluminum valve covers normally require some clearancing to fit a fiero. Madcurl and Bloozeberry both had to mod either the cover or the rear firewall to use them.
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2015 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Just in case you were not aware.... those polished aluminum valve covers normally require some clearancing to fit a fiero. Madcurl and Bloozeberry both had to mod either the cover or the rear firewall to use them.

I wonder if that problem will be non-existent with the cradle being lower than stock....
PFF
System Bot
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2015 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right - the engine is about 4" lower in the body than any other Fiero. Plus, this is a new valve cover design from Alan Johnson - I haven't seen it in person yet.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2015 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The car is stripped to its bones and ready for cleanup, minor sheet metal repair and primer.

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2015 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There should be an award for the nicest shop on Pennocks . You got my vote .Love the build and there is a thread about rotisseries in the tech section right now .I think you win there too . Have a great last week of summer and keep the updates coming .

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 09-01-2015).]

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2015 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The shop is Platinum Customs in Manteno, IL. Michael Dumas is very particular about keeping his shop pristine.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2015 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sandblasting is done and an epoxy primer has been sprayed. Chassis components have been powder coated red.

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2015 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The underside of the chassis has been sprayed with bedliner.

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2015 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Parts are coming together! Front suspension is back together. Still need to replace the threaded rod holding the upper A-arm with hardened bolts, once the alignment is complete

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2015 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
F

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2015 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice build.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock