Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Corvette ZR1 power steering rack: next project? (Page 8)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Corvette ZR1 power steering rack: next project? by Rickady88GT
Started on: 01-05-2006 02:06 PM
Replies: 365 (34477 views)
Last post by: Rickady88GT on 10-26-2020 09:27 PM
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I wont need the remote res for the 4.9. I will mount the pump in the stock Fiero alt location because it looks like it will fit........so far? I have mocked up a mount for the pump that will be welded to the passenger side rear motor mount bracket. The part of the mount that bolts to the block and tranny. The pulley is the closest part of the set up. It is very close to the shock tower lower frame. The rest of the pump looks good.
IP: Logged
Ralphy Boy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2008 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ralphy BoySend a Private Message to Ralphy BoyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates on this Rick? The time has come for my very own 4.9 '88 GT with power steering. Do you or anyone else sell a complete kit? (ie. rack mounts, tie rod adapters, pre-formed high pressure lines, etc.)
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2008 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ralphy Boy:

Any updates on this Rick? The time has come for my very own 4.9 '88 GT with power steering. Do you or anyone else sell a complete kit? (ie. rack mounts, tie rod adapters, pre-formed high pressure lines, etc.)

No up date. The pump is mounted on the 4.9 and the belt routed. But that is as far as I got. I have to many irons in the fire. I keep saying I wont touch the 5.3 till the 4.9 is done but I keep getting caught up in the 5.3.

------------------

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2008 04:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUMP! Keepin' this thread alive..
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2008 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey rick, Do you have any of the parts left for the conversion? I want to do this conversion also.

Thanks
Rick C.

------------------
http://i252.photobucket.com...ec/2007_12240001.jpg

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2008 04:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump!

Just ordered a Z51 rack for myself so I can do this. :-D
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2008 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im in the process of a 3800 turbo swap and have my ps pump mounted / type 2 gm pump. Im doing my steering swap in a month or 2 when i do my engine swap. Keep this goin, maybe we can do a group buy for the adaptors !

Rick

------------------
http://i252.photobucket.com...ec/2007_12240001.jpg

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2008 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work and I can understand the benefits of power steering if you are a senior citizen or when using wider wheels. However, with stock width wheels I feel that my Fiero steers and parks fine as is I believe that GM did not offer power steering as the front end of a Fiero is pretty light.
For those that want this option, WCF used to sell a complete PS kit but it is expensive, it adds weight and uses valuable horsepower. The Fiero based (long and heavy) Zimmer Quicksilver also used a PS setup and I believe that it was based on a Chevette rack. I guess that it just comes down to taste but it should also be remembered that a tenth of a second can make the critical difference between winning and losing a race. Power Steering will slow you down and you will lose that tenth!

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2008 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Nice work and I can understand the benefits of power steering if you are a senior citizen or when using wider wheels. However, with stock width wheels I feel that my Fiero steers and parks fine as is I believe that GM did not offer power steering as the front end of a Fiero is pretty light.

Dennis, see page 1, second post. You just don't get it. It's about ratio.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2008 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

For those that want this option, WCF used to sell a complete PS kit but it is expensive, it adds weight and uses valuable horsepower. The Fiero based (long and heavy) Zimmer Quicksilver also used a PS setup and I believe that it was based on a Chevette rack. I guess that it just comes down to taste but it should also be remembered that a tenth of a second can make the critical difference between winning and losing a race. Power Steering will slow you down and you will lose that tenth!

The Zimmer was based on the XR4TI rack not the Chevette.

You only listed two of the benefits from power steering. The SOLE reason for power steering in my 88 Fiero GT's is for steering ratio. I went from 3.5 turns lock to lock down to 2.25 turns lock to lock. I still have a "stock" feel on the highway and can turn the wheel at walking speed with one hand.

I am not trying to talk anyone into power steering or out of power steering. Only telling it how and why I did it.

If you have not driven a Fiero with power steering, why would you make comments like this? Because I can tell you have not driven a Fiero with a faster ratio power steering rack, or you would have at least tried to make some sensible argument against it.

Why on earth would you say a car would loose .10 second with out even considering the engine? What car would loose a .10, a stock 2.5 duke? stock 2.8 V6? or 400hp V8? do you really think they will all loose a tenth?

The hydro pump uses VERRY little power in a straight line anyway. So drag racing will see practically no difference with or without power steering. Fast ratio power steering is best suited for road coarse driving were very tight turns are common.

If you have questions please ask, but don't tell me that power steering adversely affected my car. I have had it for several years and also had non-power steering Fiero's for years. I know what I like and don't like about the systems I built. You don't, you only talk mumbo jumbo about a system you have not even tried.

BTW I am working on a third type of power steering system for the Fiero because In my experianced opinion, fast ratio power steering in a Fiero is well worth the work.

------------------

Gandalf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2009 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GandalfSend a Private Message to GandalfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump!
PFF
System Bot
MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2009 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RicK:

I agree with all you have said about power steering on aFiero. I have WCF's PS kit on my 3800 Series III car (same rack as yours) and it is great in every respect.

Regards,

David
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2009 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
anti archive bump
FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2009 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bozzie:
Hey rick, Do you have any of the parts left for the conversion? I want to do this conversion also.

Thanks
Rick C.

X2

------------------
FierOmar

rjblaze

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2009 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please keep us in the loop about this new system you are trying......great work going on here! Thanks! I know there was another set up using a Dakota rack, but I can't seem to find the thread.
billpapps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2009 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for billpappsSend a Private Message to billpappsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/090909.html

I have used the same rack on corvairs.
Be really sweet to be able to use this on a Fiero..

The Dakota R/T has 2 1/2 LTL

[This message has been edited by billpapps (edited 10-28-2009).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No updates. But IF people want adaptors I can try to work on it?
The problem I here most is that the racks are hard to find and the price is high when they find them?
I am going to have some more F body adaptors made up because I have a car here that I am working on. He wants the F body rack in it.
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to express interest in a set of F-body adapters.

Charlie

Fierostarvin

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierostarvinSend a Private Message to FierostarvinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
me too
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered 3 sets of the F body adaptors, I don't have the time to make them myself. I need two for my self and the third was in case someone wanted a set. If more people want a set of the F body adaptors, let me know. I don't have a price yet, the machine shop was just going to bill me when they are done. I am thinking $75?
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

I ordered 3 sets of the F body adapters, I don't have the time to make them myself. I need two for my self and the third was in case someone wanted a set. If more people want a set of the F body adapters, let me know. I don't have a price yet, the machine shop was just going to bill me when they are done. I am thinking $75?

Sounds good for a ballpark figure. When you know and want payment let me know how you would like to be paid.

Just to confirm, will the F-Body rack be any issue with my Archie front Battery mod?

Charlie

PFF
System Bot
Fierostarvin

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierostarvinSend a Private Message to FierostarvinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I ordered 3 sets of the F body adaptors, I don't have the time to make them myself. I need two for my self and the third was in case someone wanted a set. If more people want a set of the F body adaptors, let me know. I don't have a price yet, the machine shop was just going to bill me when they are done. I am thinking $75?

Don't have one made special for me, it's going to be some time before I need them but if your starting a list for a batch I'd like to be on it.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:

Sounds good for a ballpark figure. When you know and want payment let me know how you would like to be paid.

Just to confirm, will the F-Body rack be any issue with my Archie front Battery mod?

Charlie

I don't cary a spare and I do have a front mount Bat from WCF so I don't think it will be a problem. BUT, IF you want a spare the F body will NOT work for you. The Corvette was made for a spare.

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I guess I will have to opt out then. Don't want to mod the tub any more than I have. I take it the corvette rack requires adapters that are similar but a different size?

Charlie

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, I guess I will have to opt out then. Don't want to mod the tub any more than I have. I take it the corvette rack requires adapters that are similar but a different size?

Charlie

The Vette adaptors and mounts are totally different than the F body.

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok thanks. I'll sit back and watch the fun! I still have finish my body work which is taking forever right now...

Charlie

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2009 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok thanks. I'll sit back and watch the fun! I still have finish my body work which is taking forever right now...

Charlie

Cool.

BMTFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2009 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Bill Eaton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2009 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Bill EatonClick Here to visit Bill Eaton's HomePageSend a Private Message to Bill EatonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been reading this post thread for quite awhile, and finally I am getting ready to put this information to use. I am installing a 3800 Series II into an '88 chassis for my kit car and I will be using larger than normal wheels and tires - so power steering will make it much better. I know I may be too late, however I will ask anyway. I should say that if I have understood what I have read, the following is stated in my words to be sure I am on the right track.
If I understand correctly there are basically 2 options, Option 1 - the 84-94 Vette (C-4 Rack) with the number 224HD associated with it. Option 2 - an F body rack - LS1 from a V-8 car. Which would be the best selection? In this application I am not as concerned with Lock to Lock as I am with obtaining Power Steering (because of the big wheels and tires).

Also, depending upon which of the two options above that you recommend, may I purchase adapters and rack mount from you?
If so what will be the cost to purchase and for shipping to the NorthWest?
What address do I use to mail a check or do you prefer PayPal?

I very much have enjoyed your work and presentation of this information for all of us. Thank you.

------------------
Bill Eaton
'88 Coupe, '86 SE

[This message has been edited by Bill Eaton (edited 11-14-2009).]

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2009 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Bill, good to see that you made it to PFF. I remember when you were out at the house a while back when I was in the area downloading stuff before the move.

Too bad that I have moved from the Pacific NW tho and am now out in the Midwest.

TBH, I'd go w/ the rack from the F-bodies as the steering ratio ( IMO ) for the Vette is too fast on the 88's. I know when Rick installed the F-Body rack into my 88GT, it was like night and day. Not twitchy, but much faster than stock.

At highway speeds w/ the faster rack speed of the Vette, one wonders if you would need to let go of the wheel if ya sneeze or end up in the bushes like I did when I first got into my 88 w/ the new rack installed. It really was something else that I didnt expect at all. I personally prefer the F-body, its a balance of speed and assist, any faster and I think that I'd have had 2nd thoughts about it.

PS haters or not I will admit like you, w/ the larger tires in it, it does help alot - but the main reason is really the lock to lock ratio.

Welcome!

--Allen

------------------
Is this where I insert something witty?

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2009 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just curious, did I not read correctly that there are two corvette ratio's but the same size rack? One ratio faster than the F-Body and one slower (but still better than the Fiero rack ratio) ? If this is true then I personally would be leaning towards the slower ratio for my application unless those that have used the F-Body rack think it is already on the slow side...

Charlie

PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2009 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just curious, did I not read correctly that there are two corvette ratio's but the same size rack? One ratio faster than the F-Body and one slower (but still better than the Fiero rack ratio) ? If this is true then I personally would be leaning towards the slower ratio for my application unless those that have used the F-Body rack think it is already on the slow side...

Charlie

Yes there are more than one Vette ratio. The ultra fast ratio is much harder to find at only two turns lock to lock. That is only one turn from center, so don't worry to much about it. Chances are it is the "slower" of the two which is about the same as the F body. The problem would be if you were looking for the fast rack specifically.

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2009 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for explaining that Rick. If I ever get this thing rolling I will eventually need to replace all the front end bushings. At that time I will see if my finances are going to allow me to install the regular corvette rack. The mount I am pretty sure I can make and with the info you have provided here (thank you!) I hope to be able to get some adapters fabbed up.

Charlie

AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have any of these F-body brackets still available?

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T.- 11.654 Best MPH-120.65
gmtuners.com -Build info

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AkursedX:

Do you have any of these F-body brackets still available?

I have 6 on order from the machine shop. I don't have time to do them myself.
BUT he is VERY SLOW and I cant tack money for them till I have them in my hand.

IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 04:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dose this "firm up" the steering at all? my steering in front seems very flimsy or is it just time for a new rack and steering components?
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2010 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IVANNATINKLE:

dose this "firm up" the steering at all? my steering in front seems very flimsy or is it just time for a new rack and steering components?

Probably need an alignment, and/or some suspension pieces? I recently had a lot of suspension equipment installed on my car, and had an all around alignment done, and it felt much better after. The new tires helped too.
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have 6 on order from the machine shop. I don't have time to do them myself.
BUT he is VERY SLOW and I cant tack money for them till I have them in my hand.

Thanks for letting me know. If possible, could you keep me in mind for a set when you get them? I don't know if I'm going to get around to power steering this year, but if I do, I think this is the way for me to go, and I would like to have these parts as soon as they are available simply so I don't have to hunt for them at a later date.
------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T.- 11.654 Best MPH-120.65
gmtuners.com -Build info

[This message has been edited by AkursedX (edited 01-19-2010).]

IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
could you still do this with a front mount battery?
BMTFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 03:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock