NW LS4 build by Dogcreek
Started on: 04-01-2010 09:22 PM
Replies: 390 (28893 views)
Last post by: redromo on 01-11-2024 11:39 AM
aaronkoch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2010 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MUAHAHAHA. I own page 8 as well!

Ok Jeff, here's a little showoff material for ya..

Stacey and I stopped by Joe's house on our way back from the cabin for a free ride in your new car, and I grabbed some video on my droid so people can see what it sounds like. Obviously this isn't PRO audio gear, but the droid does pretty darn well with video, so without further ado:
Note, click and watch at 480p, sound quality is much better. Also, if you click the video, you can watch full screen.

Take-off at medium throttle:

2 Drive-by's just cruising:

Joe and Jeff, thanks for the rides. VERY fun. It just pins you in the seat and holds you there.

------------------

Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

[This message has been edited by aaronkoch (edited 08-01-2010).]

IP: Logged
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-01-2010 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! I'll go be angry at this crank bolt some more. At least my cam, springs, and lifters are on their way. Hopefully I can make some more progress soon.
Dogcreek

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2010 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SWEET FANCY MOSES!!! Those were totally cool vids.... I can see Stacey smiling in the second one.... Glad you guys got a chance to sample Porvett's new personality!! The sound of her gives me goose bumps!!

So now we just need to get Aaron and the 3.4 ready... I am available every night but wednesday bro so call me 570-3764 or at the house... 747-4826... I can come over any night you need... let's get her there!!! "PLASTIC" needs to ride !!!

Cool vids guys!!

Jeff

[This message has been edited by Dogcreek (edited 08-02-2010).]

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2010 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, don't short me on displacement, it may not be a 5.3, but it is a 3.8l, not a 3.4..
My last one was a 3.4..
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2010 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL... I meant your 3800 and the 3.4 silver car of Joe's...
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2010 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrbeef:

Awww, how cute! A duke on crack!
mrbeef

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2010 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrbeefSend a Private Message to mrbeefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if 17 lbs of boost is it's crack, it would give your 3800 a scare.... LOL

[This message has been edited by mrbeef (edited 08-02-2010).]

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2010 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrbeef:

if 17 lbs of boost is it's crack, it would give your 3800 a scare.... LOL

*cough* FWD *cough*.

Besides, mine is the motor YOU built..
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2010 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
She is coming home tonight!!! Woo Hoo!!! Pics of the great event later!

Jeff
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-04-2010 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2010 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony...you da man.... Thanks for the ride there and the "shake-down" cruise getting home.... These two old girls got a lot of looks on the freeway including a couple of grinning "thumbs up!"

She ran great Joe!! Gave Karla a ride and of course had to do the first pedal to floor with her in it... OMG!!!! Incredible... and of course the bride being the trooper that she is made me do it again...and again.... She likes it!! (fast acceleration that is)

Enough for tonight... I am pleased and still grinning.... Wow!

Jeff

[This message has been edited by Dogcreek (edited 04-06-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-05-2010 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, did I need food last night! Amy made a b-fast sandwich about 10 am, then nothing all day. I did not complain, but was seeing stars when I got home. Really happy that you went straight, and I turned down my block. Bu, still waiting for a ride in her.

She really does turn heads! For me, it is a lot of fun to get the stares. Nice to have folks give thumbs up, then see the passenger notice your Fiero, and the obligatory speed up to see yours.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-05-2010 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I guess I really need to get mine running now. Hopefully I'll make some good progress on cleaning my garage out to make room for the parts car, and getting the engine block, crank, and pistons cleaned up and re-assembled this weekend. I've got a nice new 58x reluctor wheel waiting to go on my crank.
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright Fiero Voyeurs....... She is home, happy and hot as hades!!!!

Tony gave me a ride to Joe's and I really appreciate it as well as the pep his sexy and beautiful 87 3.1 provided!! Tony... You da man (again)

We get to Joe and Anne's and here is a nice lineup... 4 of the INW's finest!

also shown......the five of us, including Joe, Joe 3, Tony and the vivacious "Ms Anne" talking "Fiero" before the 40 mile drive home! And of course, Tony's 87 front and center...

I have always been an "Axx" man so here is the "money shot" before her drive home....

I want to thank Mike for the great deal on the "Corvette" light panel...... And next..... I arrive home... My best friend, Buns, is not impressed......

So... I drive into the garage.... and here she is...... In all her glory... I introduce the "Fiero King Customs, Porvett."

So... I got to work.... Putting newly painted stuff in to match the the Beautiful steering wheel cover Justin made and Joe painted... Hard acts to follow if I do say so...

And a better view....... Coming soon, Mr. Mikes Navy Blue leathers.... and carpet... and..... well a whole lot of other stuff.....

And last... my best friend... is he impressed? No.... not really.... he sniffed the car... recognized Tucks, Mimi and Lilly and then went back to his "command center." The names are Joe and Anne's awesome pups..... Bun's is used to them by now...

We are off to FieroFest in Richland this weekend!!! Looking forward to seeing all of our friends!!!! A more comprehensive LS4 build story is coming soon....

Joe Sokol.... YOU ROCK!!! ...You did a SUPER JOB on my car!!!! .....as well, a thanks to all the guys from the INW club who helped, advised, built, scrubbed or otherwise helped on this build!!!

And of course to the fans of this thread..... I appreciate your comments and thoughts.. More soon... "the thread is not dead!"

Thanks to all.....Jeff (Dogcreek)

[This message has been edited by Dogcreek (edited 04-07-2012).]

Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2011 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coming soon... the 1100 mile mark!

Details of how "Porvett has done since the build was completed, the fun we have had since and why I love this car!! Also, some tidbits...

Passing WA States new "CARB" adopted swap rules (yes, she passed with flying colors! Never to ever be smogged again!)

New badging...

A Hagerty Policy....saves me a load over Allstate..

and... last... the new black carpet... oops... and stereo....

More to come.... BTW, Joe is doing an awesome job and nearing the "downhill stretch" on DRATTS Turbo LS4 Merci kit car.... OMG!!! I keep goading Don to post pics!! This is really something!

Jeff

------------------

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear that you are enjoying the car.

New badging! New seats! Let's see 'um.

Nolan
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Nolan!!

Great to hear from you!!... Joe is chomping at the bit to get you going... And pics? Oh yeah... Pic's...they will be a 'comin' ... I drooled all over your motor... but it will clean up nice!! Heh heh!!

Jeff (listening to a great Jack Johnson CD)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dogcreek (edited 04-06-2012).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-06-2011 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jeff has worked on his car all winter, and his attention to detail is pilot like. Now, where are the Mr. Mike's seat pics dag nabbit!

Tony
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK.... finally some pics.

These are the Mr. Mikes all cloth "SemiSport" model in Black and medium gray. They were very easy to install following his instructions and we were able to build up the seat bolsters as he described and WOW what a difference! Thanks to Greg for the use of his shop and his toe. He knows what I mean... And to Tony who came just in time as our "hog-ring" hands were failing.

So.... here they are!

Car view.... and my youngest Dave...

Later!

Jeff

------------------

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice pics, she's looking great!!

Nolan
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seats look great Jeff! Is it easier to avoid the occasional wrinkle that I see in leather/vinyl covers when you use fabric? I like the LS4 performance label.
PFF
System Bot
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2011 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any 1/4 mile times?
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys... Villagephotos, my photo storage site, bit the big one.. I have all the pics and I have another storage site... Working on getting them back up.

Jeff
ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2012 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yayyyy!
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2012 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! What a lot of work this was but.... I recovered, categorized, renamed and FTP'd all of the pics from the build and they will be coming up slowly over the next few days... My own storage this time..Thanks for the patience... Actually have some new stuff to add as well...

Jeff
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2012 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What! Not done yet.... What the...

Nolan
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2012 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Nolan!! Yeah, this has been time consuming alright... sheeesh... never again. I am hosting my own pics... 2.5 pages done... 5.5 pages to go....

A few "new" things... A new in the box, GM factory spoiler with LED from a "late model car..." (build in progress.. Guesses anyone?) ...and all Black floor and trunk carpet.... and a secret....

Please let the weather change...

Jeff

------------------

Mine = 1986/2007 LS4 Fiero GXP
Brides= All stock 1988 Formula

Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2.5 pages to go........

------------------

DPoppelll

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DPoppelllSend a Private Message to DPoppelllEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow. I'm glad you bumped this thread because that was an amazing read. It was like getting into a great TV show that's just gone off the air; I want more!

Great car, dude. And great friends too.
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The build thread is restored and my what a pain in the azz that was... I will be posting again in this as a lot has changed and the build is still ongoing.. The swap has given me -zero- trouble and more than 2500 miles of driving joy! I will add the last three projects.. just need to take some pics.

DPoppelll, Thanks for the kind words... I am glad this isn't over yet.. Is any Fiero project really ever "over?" Coming is the "under-hood vent system," the stereo build and the latest and currently underway "spoiler" project. Thanks everyone for the advice, thoughts and for cheering this on.

Jeff

------------------

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-07-2012 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dogcreek:
A few "new" things... A new in the box, GM factory spoiler with LED from a "late model car..." (build in progress.. Guesses anyone?) ...and all Black floor and trunk carpet.... and a secret....

If "late model car" means "current model year," then the only 3 options I can see that would look good on a Fiero, with a bit of work, are from the Corvette, Camaro, or Volt. If "late model" means "made within the last 10 years," then there are probably a few more options, Though the 4th gen Camaro/Firebird spoilers wouldn't look very good.
PFF
System Bot
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shoot Dobey... it is a 4th gen Camaro/Firebird... Dang it.... I think it looks good..... NOT... LOL it is not one.. Have no idea at the moment what they even look like.. However, it is made by GM and it is off a Pontiac.... That is the only hint for now and no it is not a Grand Am of any year... Could it be off an Aztec? hmmmmm?

When I said "late model" by my definition that means from 2004 and up.... (a hint as well) ....ohhh, and it has a factory LED stop lamp built in..

oh...Tony... I went in and found the tabs immediately.. today has been my lucky day in a number of ways!! I have had them for 4 months!!! Remember what I was saying about "CRS" syndrome.... Yikes... Can't remember "s**t"

Jeff
------------------

DPoppelll

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DPoppelllSend a Private Message to DPoppelllEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think either a firebird instrument cluster with a custom gague face or a Tom's digital cluster with blue LEDs would look awesome with the dark blue interior. Probably Tom's since it looks like you're trying to blend the stock look with your own style. Either way, would be cool.
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2012 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DPoppelll, you read my mind.... I'm not doing the Firebird Dash... but....

The blue is almost gone using Tom's smoked lexan fascia's... It made a huge difference.... I am going all black interior, next is the carpet... and a couple of other tweaks... We might have the same taste in interiors.. The blue got to me very quickly... out it went...

Those are not cracks in the shifter bezel.. a reflection of the antenna and something in the garage. Forgive the camera phone pics...

I built the shift cover with a brush set Joe snagged at the pick*n*pull. Fabbed a housing using diamond plate and and an automatic cover out of something... Cut the hole to work with the new tap shift settings, and off she goes... Way better than than the old boot which had a tendency to "bunch up" when pulled back to manual mode.

Made a shift pattern plate that you can just make out here.

The other thing I did last Spring was create a under hood vent ~versus~ an extractor through the hood... Just my personal taste but it is very functional and very effective. I lost the spare tire, protected the front mount battery and gained enough space to put a small gym bag and small carry~on suitcase. Used Specter parts including the "Flex Hose" (so be gentle.. it is NOT a dryer hose.. )

My new "spare tire"

This actually works very nicely. It is vented out of the RT front wheel well.... Powered only by the cooling fan it will actually "kick up dust" or warm muffins on a cold morning...

So that is it for now... The spoiler project is going very well... Pictures soon. Thanks for your help and company yesterday Tony....

Jeff

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dogcreek (edited 04-08-2012).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2012 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you cut holes beside the head lights to vent the front? This mod is a VERY good one and should have been a factory system. Before I did the mod, my light covers would bounce up at 55mph if a semi drove by in the other direction. After the mod my light covers wont move at all unless the lights are turnd on.
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2012 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Rick,

Nope... no holes by the lights... I did have the same issue with jumping lights once at over 90 which promptly scared the heck out of me... This should do the trick I think

Jeff
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dogcreek:

Hi Rick,

Nope... no holes by the lights... I did have the same issue with jumping lights once at over 90 which promptly scared the heck out of me... This should do the trick I think

Jeff

Yes it should, but you would affectivly have two of those tubes. One on each side that vent under the fender and back. You just wont see the holes and there are no need for the pipe.
Have you had a problem with over heating?
Does your AC work?

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 04-11-2012).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-11-2012 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What a car! Just to hear that LS4 burble is an amazing feeling. It sounds like an old Chrysler boat.

It was fun hanging out in your garage on Easter. I can't wait to see the pics of the new mod.

The underhood extractor that Jeff made up is extremely functional. The air that exits just behind the front wheel is impressive. It really is a great mod if you want to keep the factory appearing hood. All parts used are Spectra, and is not just some Home Depot dryer vent. Nice job Dogcreek.

Tony
Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Tony... Planning on some serious weekend headway on the spoiler project... and by the way.. Karla came up and stole the dryer vent off the car

Oh...and Rick, to answer your question on overheating... nope not once... This runs at factory temps with zero issues.. I did this solely to vent the cavity..

Jeff

[This message has been edited by Dogcreek (edited 04-13-2012).]

Dogcreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Making headway with the spoiler project... anyone ever use "dolphin" glaze as a finish coat on top of a thin bondo fill? Had a couple of air bubbles pop in the last coat as I kneaded the bondo instead of swilling it... Sort of like my Rye and gummy bears... Don't ask...

Anyway... like to know what you think of the dolphin brand...

Jeff

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors