Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  My second paint build... Finally I get to paint my car. (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My second paint build... Finally I get to paint my car. by JimmyS
Started on: 03-23-2009 09:40 PM
Replies: 193 (12638 views)
Last post by: Westy on 11-18-2010 10:34 PM
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2009 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has been a long time coming, 8 years, and I finally get to paint my car. Now that I have finished painting my girlfriends car, I finally get to work on mine.

With the Daytona show almost here, I wanted to make sure that my Cowl Inducted Hood Scoop was on and painted for the show. I am doing a color change on my car and It is just way to hard to explain what I am doing but you will see it all come together as it happens.

Since I need the hood done for Daytona, that is where I begin. I started to sand and the more I sanded the more it seemed like I would never get down to the factory paint. This hood had 6 aftermarket paint jobs on top of the factory paint! I have a sneeky suspicion that the rest of the car is going to be the same way. When I bought my car in 2001, it had just been painted with the paint that is on there now. Now from 1986 (when the car was built) to 2001 (when I bought it), I am curious as to why this car needed to have new paint every 2 1/2 years on average. What a rough life it must have had.

The underside of the hood was an eye sore to say the least. With that many paint jobs you can see all the overspray on the back. I was surprised to find out though that the bottom side of the hood had never been re-painted. I also cut out the opening for the scoop that will make it functional.

Top side all sanded.

Bottom side all sanded.

My Munson headlight buckets were just unfinished fiberglass on the bottom. I wanted to smooth all that out so it looks just as nice as the underside of the hood.

I kinda got excited to get this hood done so I did not take pics of primer and the scoop during prep. So here are pics of the scoop installed and the hood painted.

Top side of the Munson headlight buckets.

I still have to paint the bottom side of the hood and headlight buckets before friday so it will be done in time for the show. I will probably spray those thing on Wednesday.

This will pretty much be it for this thread till after Daytona. I will then begin the rest of the paint job. Stay tuned cause it's going to be pretty cool.

------------------

Click here for all your Fiberglass part needs

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 03-23-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
vballman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2009 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vballmanClick Here to visit vballman's HomePageSend a Private Message to vballmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looking good! i been thinking of trying painting my car as well. no idea on the color though
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2009 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

Bottom side all sanded.

Wow, that almost looks like a drawing, that's weird.

Great job painting, though. I love blue on a fiero.
wolf63

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2009 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wolf63Send a Private Message to wolf63Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the multi color thing reminds me of a Karman Ghia i had years ago, it was faded red when i got it, yellow when i sold it. a few months after i sold it i ran into the new owner who was sanding it down to paint it yet again and he told me that in the process of stripping the car he found out it was actually 2 cars welded together! the rear was originally red and the front was originally blue:-) yours is looking great by the way. in an odd way, I kind of like the psychedelic red and black hood (volcano camo?)
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NICE color !
Hurry up and shoot the rest of it before Daytona...you can do it, I know you can
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
very nice jimmy. i think back on holiday is going to be a lil mad about this one though. lol same color as his car.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

very nice jimmy. i think back on holiday is going to be a lil mad about this one though. lol same color as his car.

He is painting his car with Starburst Blue? He wont be too mad cause I am actually painting mine 3 tone with a very unique paint design.

He also does not have the side scoops or hood scoop. At least not yet. LOL
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2009 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Underside of my hood was sprayed today...

Unfortunately, right after I cleared it, I realized I did not shoot the underside of the headlight buckets. I am getting up early tomorrow and shooting them in the morning. They should be set up well enough to mount them on Friday morning a few min's before I leave for the Daytona Show. Talking about doing things last min.

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 03-25-2009).]

87GT2M6

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2009 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JimmyS pm sent
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2009 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This morning I went out to paint the back side of the headlight buckets. First thing I noticed was that I did not sanded the primer yet. So I started sanding. As I sanded, I came across a dozen or so little areas that werent smooth enough for my liking. They need a little glazing putty first. Since time is extremely short (leaving for Daytona in the morning), I decided to chuck the idea of painting them prior to Daytona. I figured it was not worth rushing through and messing something up.

Anyway... I installed my hood back onto the car. Now I have a lot of cleaning and detailing to do prior to tomorrow morning.

Some pics outside in the sun. The white on the hood is the refection of the clouds in the sky.

For those of you going to Daytona... See ya tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 04-09-2009).]

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2009 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Underside of my hood was sprayed today...

Jimmy, that underside turned out great !

Enjoy Daytona, wish I could be there.
PFF
System Bot
hagans19

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-26-2009 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hagans19Send a Private Message to hagans19Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that looks amazing like the head lights and just every thing if i had a gt i would by the quater window things

have a great time tomarrow and i and the rest of us less fourunet ones want lots of pics of daytona

great job jimmy

mike
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2009 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I had originally planned on getting back to work on my car after this coming weekend. I had plans for the weekend but they fell through. So today I removed the whole front end. The real work now begins.

I will post up some pics tomorrow.
dudewithoutfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dudewithoutfieroSend a Private Message to dudewithoutfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey it is tomorrow and yet no pics!....................j/k
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-03-2009 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Top side all sanded.

In my best southern preacher voice, "I think I see Jesus!"
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

In my best southern preacher voice, "I think I see Jesus!"

It wouldn't surprise me one bit. I did say his name a lot while trying to sand off 6 aftermarket paint jobs. LOL

Pics coming in a few

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 04-03-2009).]

JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JimmyS

4666 posts
Member since Apr 2006
Here is the whole reason my car has been wearing a bra for the past couple of years. It has way too many paint chips on the front end for my liking...

Passenger side showing chips on the bumper...

I am documenting each panel individually so there is a before and after shot when I'm done.
Passenger side front fender...

Drivers side front fender...

All this read overspray is going by by. I will be repainting the Space Frame also. Pic of the front end removed.

This over spray drives me nuts.

I did not get a chance to work on the car at all today. I had to go do some normal work and make some money.

After I removed the front end, I took the fenders and bumper outside to wash them down real good before sanding begins. While washing the back side of the passenger side front fender, I noticed a 6"-8" crack that had been repaired previously. I had this same problem when I started painting my girlfriends car but her's was on the drivers side. Instead of trying to sand and fix the crack again, I will be replacing this fender.

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 04-09-2009).]

JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JimmyS

4666 posts
Member since Apr 2006
Does anyone know where to get this material or a good substitute for it?

I know that Rodney Dickman sells a piece to replace this but I kind of wanna do it myself. I have gone this far by myself so I am hoping to do as much as I can without writing checks.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I had plans for the weekend but they fell through.

Sorry about that.
Out of my control.
We're just as bummed out as you are....maybe more.
We'll do Homestead though.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well I had originally planned on getting back to work on my car after this coming weekend. I had plans for the weekend but they fell through. So today I removed the whole front end. The real work now begins.

I will post up some pics tomorrow.

That is some beautiful work, are you a professional painter? I would love to paint my own car but I know it wouldn't turn out that nice.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

That is some beautiful work, are you a professional painter? I would love to paint my own car but I know it wouldn't turn out that nice.

Thanks

I am not anywhere close to a professional. I used my girlfriends Fiero as a Guinea Pig car and painted it as my very first paint job. You can check out the paint build of her car here... https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000093.html It came out OK but I learned a lot while doing it and mine is coming out really nice. I am going to extremes with my car and everything is getting painted.

Randye,

No worries. Things happen and thats just life. Sure I'm bummed out about it but Homestead will be here eventually.

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 04-04-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Does anyone know where to get this material or a good substitute for it?

I know that Rodney Dickman sells a piece to replace this but I kind of wanna do it myself. I have gone this far by myself so I am hoping to do as much as I can without writing checks.

I don't know where to get that exact piece but you can look here for the material
http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/

A 1ft by 3ft sheet of economy rubber runs $24.00

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 04-04-2009).]

Fierostarvin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierostarvinSend a Private Message to FierostarvinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like your GFs car turned out great and yours may be better. Love your color choices. Do you need to watch the humidity when you paint or is the paint forgiving?
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierostarvin:

It looks like your GFs car turned out great and yours may be better. Love your color choices. Do you need to watch the humidity when you paint or is the paint forgiving?

I'm not sure just how forgiving the paint is with humidity. I just sprayed when I was ready
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not sure just how forgiving the paint is with humidity. I just sprayed when I was ready

Watch the humidty when you do your clear Jimmy.
Your color coats should be ok, but if the humidity is too high, your clear may blush.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whats a good humidity range to work in?
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Whats a good humidity range to work in?

Low
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2009 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I don't know where to get that exact piece but you can look here for the material
http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/

A 1ft by 3ft sheet of economy rubber runs $24.00

Thanks IMSA. They are sending me a couple samples.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rust removal and prevention has begun.

Thanks to Randye for suggesting this product to me...

This stuff is great at killing and removing rust off of metal.

I put a little into a paint cup and then soaked some nuts and bolts in it. It stripped off all the rust in about an hour.

I also used a stripping wheel on my Die Grinder to remove most of the heavier rust off the front bumper eggcrate support. Once I did that. I sprayed that stuff on it to kill the rest. I then re-painted the whole thing.
Front side...

Back Side

Turn signal brackets...

Lower bumper support brackets...

Upper piece that the bumper attaches to...

Thats all I have for right now but I will be doing more each day. I will continue pics as I proceed.

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 04-06-2009).]

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good work so far!

BTW, correct me if I'm mistaken on this sequence of events:
1) Paint blue car reddish and silver.
2) Paint reddish car blue

JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

Good work so far!

BTW, correct me if I'm mistaken on this sequence of events:
1) Paint blue car reddish and silver.
2) Paint reddish car blue

Your close...
Paint Blue car Pinkish Red, Silver and Grey

Paint Red car Blue, Black and Silver.

My paint job is going to be pretty cool. As I paint, you will start to understand what is going to happen with my paint scheme.
PFF
System Bot
GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Jimmy what ever happened with the air pressure problem you where having?
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GODFATHER:

Hey Jimmy what ever happened with the air pressure problem you where having?

It has something to do with the water/oil seperator. I just removed it for now. Everything works normal without it and I really don't need it just for the air tools. I will get a new one before I start painting the body.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2009 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Progress has been slow cause I have been doing 3 things...

1st - hours have picked up at work. I only have a part time job and my girlfriend works there also. We normally team up and do the work together. We picked up a few more stores so hours have picked up.

2nd - Taking my time and trying to not look over any details. I re-wired the whole front end.

3rd - Procrastinating. I don't know why but I seem to have lost motivation. I am working on it slowly but surely.

A before pic...

After...

The front portion of the front end is almost completed. I still have the spare tire compartment to paint and the rails where the fenders attach.

All of this stuff used to be located in the headlight bucket area on the drivers side. I moved and re-wired it all to clean up the areas that people actually see.

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 05-04-2009).]

dudewithoutfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2009 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dudewithoutfieroSend a Private Message to dudewithoutfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
and you were helping me move the other weekend. jimm how is your leg feeling?
Rolling Thunder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2009 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a suggestion. Those fog lights look out of place. The last owner of my Fiero put some rectangular ones in that almost look stock:

GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2009 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bumping TTT becauce I need some motivation also. Looking good Jimmy.
winger1955

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2009 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for winger1955Send a Private Message to winger1955Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looking good pal. oh ya,thanks for the wolf bra. it looks great on my 88GT.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2009 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

All of this stuff used to be located in the headlight bucket area on the drivers side. I moved and re-wired it all to clean up the areas that people actually see.

I really like this idea! Might just have to do something similar on my blue fiero.

JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2009 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I really like this idea! Might just have to do something similar on my blue fiero.

The only problems with this idea is... If one of those relays goes bad, it will be a lot harder to change.

If you decide to do this, be prepared to cut, extend and solder a lot of wires. Don't take the short cut of using butt connectors. Use solder and heat shrink tubing to save future corrosion problems.

Also keep in mind that some of those relays you see in the pic, you will not have. I have the Munson headlights so that added a couple extra relays and I also have driving lights which added another relay and a fuse.

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 05-14-2009).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock