Started on: 12-19-2008 09:17 AM
Replies: 127 (20308 views)
Last post by: Internet-man on 03-07-2019 02:18 PM
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I have absolutely no idea! You'd have to buy all 3 and try them.
All I can tell you is how well the Tang-Band I HAVE works.
Those who want to buy something else and experiment are free to do so.

I used the Tang-Band on the recommendation of Bigfieroman who did the initial research.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-076432.html

Out of curiosity I contacted Parts Express.

Basics of the conversation went at such. Tang Band Neodymium sub is the best there is for our application. The Ferrite version that I linked to has very similar specs yet has a large magnet which would occupy a large percentage of the air volume in our application thus making it suffer in performance compared to the Neodymium version. The large Xmax and frequency response is what makes the Tang Band good for our application.

I'll be ordering a Neodymium. Someone else will have to experiment.

IP: Logged
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

Out of curiosity I contacted Parts Express.

Basics of the conversation went at such. Tang Band Neodymium sub is the best there is for our application. The Ferrite version that I linked to has very similar specs yet has a large magnet which would occupy a large percentage of the air volume in our application thus making it suffer in performance compared to the Neodymium version. The large Xmax and frequency response is what makes the Tang Band good for our application.

Thank you. That should answer pokeyfiero's question too.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2015 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not my car - found this video on YouTube - recorded with a cell phone I think.
Unfortunately, a YouTube video doesn't give you the "in the car" sound and feel.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-20-2015).]

Internet-man

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2018 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Internet-manSend a Private Message to Internet-manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has any one ever had audio problems with this mod?
I did mine a year ago and it's never sounded right. It sounds great when I'm listening to something like dance music where there are nice clean bass hits but if I listen to rock and roll where there are sustained low tones like a long note on a bass guitar it sounds really distorted. I've tried taking the speaker out of the housing and playing music that I know causes it to see if the speaker is blown but it goes away when I do that, press it back in to the opening and it comes right back.
I'm thinking about uninstalling it and getting an RD speaker or something.
Lurate

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2018 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LurateClick Here to visit Lurate's HomePageSend a Private Message to LurateEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done this in 2 Fieros and love it in each one. I was have some cut out problems in one at high volume that turned out to me a short in the wiring inside the enclosure. No problems since fixing that. I agree the neodymium are the way to go
migs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2019 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for migsSend a Private Message to migsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone actually compared to 2 different models of the TB speaker that are sold? w5-1138sm or w5-1138smf? Seems like looking at the spec sheets that the one which is $20 more expensive has a smaller magnet and is actually rated at slightly lower power? Would that make it just a better match to the low power stock amp, or what am I missing? I was always told to buy the sub with bigger magnet.
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Internet-man:

Has any one ever had audio problems with this mod?
I did mine a year ago and it's never sounded right. It sounds great when I'm listening to something like dance music where there are nice clean bass hits but if I listen to rock and roll where there are sustained low tones like a long note on a bass guitar it sounds really distorted.

I'd think that would have more to do with the enclosure than the speaker. I like Rock more than other types and I never ever use a ported enclosure. I like sealed enclosures and I build my own for a 6.5" sub.

Internet-man

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2019 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Internet-manSend a Private Message to Internet-manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wgpierce:

I'd think that would have more to do with the enclosure than the speaker. I like Rock more than other types and I never ever use a ported enclosure. I like sealed enclosures and I build my own for a 6.5" sub.

I'm using the factory sub housing. I discovered a couple unwanted noise sources. I eliminated the noise from the vibrating dashboard by jamming a bunch of rubber-polly whatever it's called packing material up in the dash around the enclosure (I also recently bought a new dash and when I install it I'm going to fill some of the empty spaces in the back with expanding foam) and I got a better sound out of the sub by turning my other amp (the aftermarket one powering the rest of my speakers) way up so that I don't have to turn the radio up as much. It's like 70% better but even then it will still sound distorted, even with the volume on the sub volume slider turned all the way down. It's got to be the factory amp that's powering the sub. It could just be that it's 33 years old, worn out, and sending a dirty signal.
And now to figure out how to put a small aftermarket amp to power the sub in the same place in the kafkaesque stereo wiring harness...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock