Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Xanth's Interior Build/Restoration (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Xanth's Interior Build/Restoration by Xanth
Started on: 06-22-2008 07:50 PM
Replies: 55 (5106 views)
Last post by: Curlrup on 07-22-2009 07:39 AM
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2008 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check previous page for Carpet Updates

Here's a bit more detail on the speaker grills:

Using a razor blade I pressed material in place and used it as a guide and heatsink for the soldering iron. If the iron gets too hot it will cut right through the material, just want to melt the plastic a bit:

Once that's done it ends up looking like this:

Then I trimmed the edges, so they could be folded over:

Using spray interior trim adhesive I secured each corner down:

Here's how the corners came out:

I then did the same thing with the rest of the material, you need a piece of cardboard or something to keep from getting adhesive on the exposed material:

Finished item:

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 09-19-2008).]

IP: Logged
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2008 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a better couple shots of the carpet:

Once it settles in to place better I do believe I'll be gluing it down to the foam underlay, but its looking good so far.
ktthecarguy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 167
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2008 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ktthecarguyClick Here to visit ktthecarguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ktthecarguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Xanth, carpet is really looking good. If I could make a suggestion, I would recommend replacing the brake pedal rubber pad. That will complete the dressing up of the lower area, and make it look like new again.

Next, take an old toothbrush and your favorite cleaner and scrub the gas pedal. Make sure you put a rag under the pedal, to protect your nice new carpet! When it is clean, put some Armor-all or your favorite protectant on both pedals, and bingo! Your driver's side will look so good, you won't want to put your dirty shoes on it ever again! JK
BTW used car dealers can tell at a glance how many miles are on the car... how bad is the brake pedal rubber worn?!
NCTyphoonKid

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2008 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i may be doing a interior restoration on mine around christmas time as a christmas gift to mine.like the vinyl headliner in your car.

------------------
Korey
86 Pontiac Fiero SE gold on black bone stock
86 Buick Grand National bone stock
93 GMC Typhoon #1710 black on black bone stockl

Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks Great, Favoriting this thread!
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn! Want to convert my interior to black to match my seats (and steering wheel)?
Get all the materials and a price and I'll gladly pay you to do the install on my car. I would like some sound-deadening too...
I'm only a 40 minute drive away.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 09-23-2008).]

85pontiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2008 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85pontiacSend a Private Message to 85pontiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ktthecarguy:

Hi Xanth, carpet is really looking good. If I could make a suggestion, I would recommend replacing the brake pedal rubber pad. That will complete the dressing up of the lower area, and make it look like new again.

Next, take an old toothbrush and your favorite cleaner and scrub the gas pedal. Make sure you put a rag under the pedal, to protect your nice new carpet! When it is clean, put some Armor-all or your favorite protectant on both pedals, and bingo! Your driver's side will look so good, you won't want to put your dirty shoes on it ever again! JK
BTW used car dealers can tell at a glance how many miles are on the car... how bad is the brake pedal rubber worn?!

Armor-All? On the pedals? What?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

------------------
Adam
1984 Sport Coupe Auto., 130,~~~ miles, bad duke
1985 Sport Coupe 5 Speed, 55,000 original miles
1987 GT Auto., 154,000 miles, partial daily driver
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 5" lift, 35" tires, partial daily driver
1983 Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
1975 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 25,000 original miles
1963 Buick Electra 225
1936 Dodge Two-door Touring Sedan

Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2008 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85pontiac:

Armor-All? On the pedals? What?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I second that OMG!

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2008 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ktthecarguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 167
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2008 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ktthecarguyClick Here to visit ktthecarguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ktthecarguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, now, I did say "...or your favorite protectant". And if you buff the pads off after applying, they look like new rubber AND they are not slippery. I thought you all knew that. My bad.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2008 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oops, meant for PM

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 09-25-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2009 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Overdue update, a few prototype pics:

Not good enough for use in the car yet, but it does get me a base to improve from. I need to get the hardener mixed better, as well as the mold needs some reinforcing. The resin didn't hold the small grooves well because it failed to harden properly, and the mold warps a bit. I expect the next mold/piece will be a significant improvement over this one.

I do however now know that the idea will work, the end product of which will be a backlit performance sound trim.
Blueiii

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2009 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueiiiSend a Private Message to BlueiiiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What kind of material is the clear "stuff" you used????

What would you add to this material, while setting up, to add color yet still be translucent?
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2009 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blueiii:

What kind of material is the clear "stuff" you used????

What would you add to this material, while setting up, to add color yet still be translucent?

The clear is a transparent resin I picked up at art supply store. Its a clear resin + a catalyst you mix in. I am not certain what to use if you want to color the resin itself. I'm working with a co-worker of mine who is experienced with making these types of castings, I'll have to ask him about it.
Blueiii

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2009 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueiiiSend a Private Message to BlueiiiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you find out let me know! I've got an idea for that stuff. . .
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Silicone...you want to make an open pour mold with silicone. They should sell the blue RTV silicone for casting at Hobby Lobby or something like that. Since your not encapulating the part you should be able to make a quick mold with no bubles out of that blue stuff. You will get a perfect part every time. I have been casting parts using Silicone and Urethane for the past 5 years, it is great stuff.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock