Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Redesign Center Console (Shift and Ashtrays) (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Redesign Center Console (Shift and Ashtrays) by Fieromaniac
Started on: 04-28-2007 09:03 AM
Replies: 53 (7139 views)
Last post by: Fieromaniac on 06-13-2010 11:23 AM
Fieromaniac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While waiting until my new Cylinderhead arives , i work further on my interior

here is a Photoshop of what i intend to do with my center console

I dont smoke so i dont need ashtrays . but i need space where i can put some money into or papers or whatever
plus i like the Decklids of the Ashtrays , so i re use them.

the Circles shall be Cupholders and the Square a place for Mobile phones and so on.

blue LED will signal what Gear is selected .
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...well I would like to see how you get each LED to light up for the selector (how you are going to get it to switch)...
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
using 6 detectorswitches
http://www.conrad.de/goto.php?artikel=705286
http://www.conrad.de/goto.php?artikel=705312

to determine the actual position

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 04-28-2007).]

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a good set-up but I'm a little worried on how close that shifter will be to the cups in the cupholders (I assume that is what those are). I you were able to narrow the left compartment a little and move the shifter over just a hair you might free up enough room to make it all work. The only problem I see there is getting to the radio controls. It might put the shifter in the way. Anyway, i'm sure you will get all the bugs worked out. I will be keeping an eye on this thread. Looks good so far. Keep up the good work. Good luck.

edit: Here is a thought. How about puting the cupholders near the top corners, one on each side, and two smaller compartments under them for change. It would give you driver and passenger cupholders without interfering with the shifter. Reaching the radio might be a little harder with a cup in though. This is all based on the use of a stock shifter. If you were to go with something else (camaro/firebird) you wouldn't have to worry about it.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 04-28-2007).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know how a SMD-DETECTORSCHALTER works but I am interested to find out.

I am wanting to do something similar with the 5 speed to show what gear you are in. With my ultimate getrag shift kit and short shifter there is very little different between 1st and 3rd and 4th and reverse, it would be nice to have a digital readout.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
on a manual shifted car u would have to use 3 switches for the shift levels 12 34 5R and 1 switch for foreward pos and backward pos .
for example u are in middle level and foreward switch is on too = 3rd
3rd level backward pos = R

just need to mount the switches near the shifter to make sure that switch is pressed down when shifter is in its position.

There is also an other switch variant available that works contactless / magnetic
http://www.conrad.de/goto.php?artikel=155038

or u buy this here
http://cgi.ebay.de/Gaslock-...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

no sensors needed
u simply shift all gears after install and the knob knows the gear

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieromaniac:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Gaslock-...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

no sensors needed
u simply shift all gears after install and the knob knows the gear

Okay, my German is rusty...no wait, my German is non-existent, how does that shift knob know what gear you are in with no sensors? Is that adaptable to the Fiero? Please explain?
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here the manufacturer page in english
http://www.indy-cator.de/english/index.php

and sure it works with every manual shifted car that has no lock for reverse gear so it would work with Fieros too

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i dont have a mockup, but one thought i had was to move the right hand window swtich to the left of the rocker for the mirrors.

Then move them all over as much as possible and stick a cup holder in the space left over. That way there isnt a lot of change to the stock items/locations.

But i ended up getting one of those hirizer solos, so that project sort of got put on the shelf..
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

here the manufacturer page in english

Thanks, I don't want to steal this thread but that is a must have, but at 149 euros not exactly cheap.
Torch-Red87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Solution for all problems .

I thought about the switch technic too , but this will never work right !.

The are easyer ways and low budget to make it work 100000 years
PFF
System Bot
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
/drool
F-I-E-R-O

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-OEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
/\/\/\/\/\ I love that shift surround! /\/\/\/\/\
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Thanks, I don't want to steal this thread but that is a must have, but at 149 euros not exactly cheap.

thats why i would build it myself material for simple LED version should be around 10 - 20 $

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fieromaniac

980 posts
Member since Nov 2006

Originally posted by Torch-Red87:

very excact work +++
but wouldnt go confirm with my intention to create some Space where i can stuff my things into.

btw. i tried the magnetic switches already and the distance (magnet <-> sensor ) required for them to work proper is ok.
i will fix the magnet on the shifterarm and the switches on the right side .
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fieromaniac

980 posts
Member since Nov 2006
ok took me a 2mm Alu plate and had some fun

further pics follow
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fieromaniac

980 posts
Member since Nov 2006
ok iam done for today here latest pics

----- Dinnertime
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ok took me a 2mm Alu plate and had some fun

further pics follow

Interesting concept...but I don't think those cupholders are going to be too useful. Maybe you can get a 12 oz can of soda in there, but that's about it.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 04-29-2007).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have a 8cm Diameter for the cupholders = normal big coffeecup
max deep 5 cm
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fieromaniac

980 posts
Member since Nov 2006

Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking pretty darn good!
PFF
System Bot
dcfox

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great...but with the 2 round circles for the cup holders overlapping each other...can it hold 2 drinks at once?

------------------
--David

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it hold 2 Alcohol free beer
dcfox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how about 2-12 oz cans?

...non alcoholic beer?
thats about like meatless steak.

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that are half liter bottles , normal cans are 0.33L
we dont have much metal cans here in germany most glas or plastic bottles
but if i remember correct size should be same (diameter)
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should put the shift nob on when trying the different cups/cans. Looks to me that there will be some interference. Looks great though! Any thoughts on puting some together for sale?
fiero86_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero86_gtSend a Private Message to fiero86_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Torch-Red87:

Sweeeet! I'll take 2 please
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2007 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
have all sensorstuff together now .

the Reed switches operate with this magnet up to 0.7mm
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2007 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
todays progress

tomorrow is normal workday i thought i could finish it today
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2007 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

polished it a little , removed the big screws and of course made a nice light
FieroLinks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2007 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroLinksClick Here to visit FieroLinks's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroLinksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice work! Keep it up!
PFF
System Bot
F-I-E-R-O

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2007 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-OEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the idea about putting the ashtray covers next to each other opening to a nice big storage space below. Yes, I said "nice big," in a Fiero, that is most certainly considered "nice big."
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2007 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sensorunit with the reedswitches mounted

some wild wires

TADA

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2007 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're interested, TheOgre has an article on installing lighted window switches in the Cave. I saw Bill Osmer's a couple years ago and did them myself. I used the ones from a Grand Prix. They still work and look great.

Might be a nice addition to the rest of the console.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2007 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok iam done , rdy to install it into the car

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2007 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fieromaniac

980 posts
Member since Nov 2006

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:

If you're interested, TheOgre has an article on installing lighted window switches in the Cave. I saw Bill Osmer's a couple years ago and did them myself. I used the ones from a Grand Prix. They still work and look great.

Might be a nice addition to the rest of the console.

hehe if i had Powerwindows or powermirror yes

hey its a Iron Duke powered Sportscar , every pound counts so i cant affort heavy powerwindows or fat people in my car . ^^joking^^

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2007 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"created" some more space for the console
This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.

installed

dcfox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2007 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks really nice.
Just a suggestion...I think the logos are a bit too much.
I'd suggest getting some black craft foam and cutting inserts for the cup holder and the square compartments.
That should also eliminate any can rattling and/or any noise from stuff stored in the compartments...and to me would give it a more "finished" look.
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2007 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you should replace that shifter with one of these from rodneydickman, it would give you more room when you have cups in there

88FieroForm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2007 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroFormSend a Private Message to 88FieroFormEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I noticed your trim piece around your shift console is like brand new, do you have one that just lasted or did you find a new replacement? I would like new ones for mine

Justin
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock