Started on: 01-20-2008 08:05 PM
Replies: 79 (4469 views)
Last post by: 1988holleyformula on 08-26-2009 05:58 PM
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2008 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to be slowly putting together my audio system, and figured I'd start a thread to keep track of it.

My goal is to get a decent sounding system that looks fairly stock, and no obvious signs of being anything other than stock. Fancy looking systems are all fine and good till someone smashes out your windows to try and get it, don't feel like having that happen again.

I am not going for a competition sound system, just something that sounds better than the stock system.

Here's the headunit, a late model Pontiac CD Player. You may recognize the speakers from my Speaker install video, I will be replacing them but that will come later. The harness in the middle is the high-level input harness for my amplifier.

So, in keeping with my intentions to stay close to stock in form and function, I bought some connectors at RadioShack I'll be using as well as red/black speaker wiring matching the factory speaker connector. Nevermind the blue splices, I had those in but couldn't bring myself to leave it like that, they're going in the trash.

First off I added a 4-pin connector onto the high-level amp adapter, you can see my home-made wire holder

Here's the connector assembled, as you may notice I have the wrong pins in there, reason being I accidentally used the wrong connector the first time, so I just changed the connector and left those pins. The other connector isolates each pin, which I wanted to make sure I had on the power end, since this is the receiving connector I'm not concerned about it.

Next off I'll be installing 2-pin connectors on the speaker harnesses. From what I've been told it is fine to splice in the Amp input harness and continue to use the speakers. I stripped open a short section of each wire and soldered leads onto them:

Here's the add-on 2-pin connector and the factory connector. Now I can use the stock wiring harness, and have the plug to connect the amplifier too.

When I have the amplifier in the car again, I'll measure out the wire I need, and connect the remaining 4-pin connector for the Amp input and the 2-pin connectors for the speaker wires.

The amp will be going behind the passenger seat, I'll be modifying the rear "batwing" carpet piece to conceal the amp and all wiring. I have one of these amplifiers: http://www.sonicelectronix...._Kicker+KX150.2.html

At the moment I have a factory subwoofer housing, with what I think is a Rodney Dickman speaker, the magnet on it is huge. I'm planning on doing a 8" under dash sub.

Also, I will be working on modifiying a Performance Sound light housing to control the amp, probably by adding a volume control of some sort to the high-level inputs.

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

Upload and Share Fiero Photos! http://Gallery.FieroDomain.com

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 01-20-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NeoNot

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2008 06:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NeoNotSend a Private Message to NeoNotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if that units comes with it or not, but a lot of the Kicker amps come with a remote mount sub knob. If you dont mind a round knob instead of a slider you should be able to connect a Sub control to the amp and install it anywhere in the car for controlling your sub output.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately this unit doesn't have the remote option, I was considering it but decided I will be modifying the input to the amp, so I can use the Performance Sound overhead piece.

Okay, here is the amp location in the car, you can see the harness I made hanging off the bottom:

Here I have the harnesses I made to connect the speaker harnesses to the amp harness:

Routing the harness from the Driver side speaker, I re-used the factory clip that was there, and added in my wire in keeping with my factory-esque designs:

Modifications to the clip to make it work.
Original:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Modified to fit:

Same deal as the wire reaches the driver's side, re-use factory clip and routing:

Finally connecting to the speaker:

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 01-26-2008).]

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are you doing with the upper cover for the sheetmetal back there? Are you going to use it to hide the amp or are you going to mount the amp over it?
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The upper cover will be modified and reinforced to cover/secure the amp. I have it installed right now temporarily, actually works quite well. I'll have some pics of it up soon.

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 01-26-2008).]

Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Xanth

6886 posts
Member since May 2006
Routing power and ground to the amp, you can also see the high-level speaker connections:

Here the wire goes through the firewall, at an existing hole from a previous owner:

I don't have an image of the power connection yet, I am not happy with it. I need to find a proper place to mount the fuse holder, preferably out of the rain, but still close to the battery.

Now the amp is setup, time to check out the sub.

Front of the box, facing you when it is mounted:

Rear of box, facing the front of the car as it is mounted:

Down-firing subwoofer:

Subwoofer, in all its glory, I do not know what sub this is, maybe a Rodney Dickman sub? Its freakin huge:

Phew! Not from China:
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Xanth

6886 posts
Member since May 2006
Box interior:

I've heard you can fill the stock speaker box to further improve the sound, though I will not be messing with that at the moment.

Here's how the sub fits under the dash:

From above, I need to install a screw to the convenience center bracket:

Getting that thing in there was a PITA the first few times, cracked my dash doing it Fortunately the cracks are not in a visible location.

Connected the speaker wire to the farthest lead on the amp, to begin estimating the wire needed for the sub:

Wire will be hidden under the carpet and trim when finished:

Once I got the wires measured out, I cut them and tested out the amp:

Tested out OK!
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Xanth

6886 posts
Member since May 2006
Here's how I ended up connecting to the sub, not happy with it but it will work until I find a stock connector:

Back panel back in place, I cut and scored the back of the panel so it would flap over the amp:

Peeled the carpet up and scored the front so it would flap down again:

Car cleaned up and ready to go:

Next will be finishing off the rear panel. I need to reinforce and cover the area over the amp, as well as recover the entire panel with vinyl.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any comments or suggestions are of course welcome

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

Upload and Share Fiero Photos! http://Gallery.FieroDomain.com

craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great, where was the stock amp located or is there even a stock amp? I plan on hooking my amp up to the Performance Sound switch, so I will come back for info, when I get ready to do it.

[This message has been edited by craigsfiero2007 (edited 01-27-2008).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't read everything [I just looked at the pics ] and you probably already know this, but make sure your amp has ventillation to take away the heat .. Looks GOOD !
PFF
System Bot
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

Looks great, where was the stock amp located or is there even a stock amp? I plan on hooking my amp up to the Performance Sound switch, so I will come back for info, when I get ready to do it.

I honestly don't know where the stock amp goes, there is a slot in the plastic panel by the center hump that may hold it. I only bought the stock housing and performance sound overhead piece, decided to use an aftermarket amp. Hooking up the overhead piece will be a bit of a trick, I haven't looked at it in detail yet. I'm planning on making it control the high-level inputs, basically controlling the volume of what is going into the amp.

Originally posted by PaulJK:

I didn't read everything [I just looked at the pics ] and you probably already know this, but make sure your amp has ventillation to take away the heat .. Looks GOOD !

I will be making sure the amp can ventilate, whats nice is with this sub I have the gain on 0 and still provide plenty of bass, a continuous hour of use produced very little heat.

You can't really see it in the pic, but part of the reason I installed the amp sideways is now the heatsinks are on the left and right, running up and down. This way air will naturally be drawn in the bottom and vent out the top. When the rear panel is finished there will be mesh to allow heat out and cooler air in.
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

I will be making sure the amp can ventilate, whats nice is with this sub I have the gain on 0 and still provide plenty of bass, a continuous hour of use produced very little heat.

You can't really see it in the pic, but part of the reason I installed the amp sideways is now the heatsinks are on the left and right, running up and down. This way air will naturally be drawn in the bottom and vent out the top. When the rear panel is finished there will be mesh to allow heat out and cooler air in.

Cool I plan on seeing how you hook it up, so I can do the same.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The basic rule is to stuff sealed boxes and line ported boxes. The stock subwoofer enclosure is ported. So you don't want to completely fill it. But it wouldn't hurt to line the inside walls. If you do use stuffing, make sure the air can flow freely between the speaker and the port.
Eau_Rouge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Eau_RougeSend a Private Message to Eau_RougeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just curious but isn't that amp going to over power that 5" subwoofer or are you planning on using a bigger subwoofer such as an 8" sub??

Nice setup!
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

The basic rule is to stuff sealed boxes and line ported boxes. The stock subwoofer enclosure is ported. So you don't want to completely fill it. But it wouldn't hurt to line the inside walls. If you do use stuffing, make sure the air can flow freely between the speaker and the port.

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try when I have the box out again What is a good material to use?

Originally posted by Eau_Rouge:

Just curious but isn't that amp going to over power that 5" subwoofer or are you planning on using a bigger subwoofer such as an 8" sub??

Nice setup!

The amp is a bit much, I have the gain on "0" right now and it is plenty. I was actually planning to do an 8" under-dash sub like a few people here have done. I may not bother to do so now, after hearing how this one sounds, it is surprisingly powerful. One nice side-effect is the amp produces very little heat, since its barely even trying to drive this sub.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just about anything soft and fluffy should work. Some common things to use for stuffing are pillow stuffing, cotton balls, and fiberglass insulation. (Although, I wouldn't suggest using fiberglass insulation. That stuff is evil!) Some common things to use for lining the walls are foam rubber, shaggy carpet, and blankets.

BTW, I really like your attention to detail. Keep up the good work!

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 01-27-2008).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just about anything soft and fluffy should work.

Try the fabrics section at WalMart; they have batting, stuffing, and all kinds of stuff like this cheap

Eau_Rouge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Eau_RougeSend a Private Message to Eau_RougeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guy's, sorry but I've got what might be a stupid question to ask so I appologize ahead of time.
My question is - does adjusting the gain on an amplifier reduce the watts RMS that is sent to the subwoofer. I've also got a similar set up to Xanth's in my car with the exception of the amplifier as I'm afraid to use my current amp which is rated at 170 watts RMS x 1 channel. If reducing the gain to minimum will reduce the RMS watts then that will save me from getting another amplifier. Can someone confirm whether adjusting the gain does anything to the RMS watts sent to the sub. I've got a sub that's rated at 50 watts RMS and I don't want to over power it and blow it up.

Thanks!
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2008 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As long as the signal isn't clipped, you can run 500+ rms to any sub, and it won't blow it.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2008 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, turning down the gain does reduce power output.

Custom2M4 has a point. The main enemy of speakers is clipping. However, running the speaker way above its rated power will make the voice coil get hot. If it gets hot enough, the heat will damage the voice coil.
PFF
System Bot
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2008 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine will be getting 500+RMS, but then again I have a 12...
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2008 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In theory, the max output of mine is 203 watts bridged the way I have it. It is more than enough for the small sub I have now, and should have no trouble with an 8inch should I choose to upgrade.

I'm waiting on the part now that I'm going to try and modify so I can control the amp volume using the performance sound overhead, I'll get some pictures of it and what I'm doing once it arrives.

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 01-28-2008).]

Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the toy that arrived today, PAC LC2 RCA Line converter and level control. This unit converts high-level inputs into low-level RCA outputs:

Knob that controls the volume of the RCA outputs:

High-level Inputs and the low-level RCA outputs:

Next step will be to pull it apart. The unit itself will mount by the amp, where the speaker connections are at the moment. The speaker harnesses will now connect to this unit, and I will make short RCA cables to go to the amp.

The knob will be removed, I will be determining how I can modify my performance sound overhead to control this unit. Easiest thing would be to mount the knob, but I am determined to retain the factory style slider.

One idea I had was replacing the knob with a small gear driven by the slider, would work but not very pretty.

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 01-30-2008).]

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might be able to wire in the slidder in place of the knob, they are both probably variable potentiometers. You just need to see if they are in the same range.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Possibly, I don't want to get my hopes up yet though. My multimeter and overhead unit aren't with me, so I can't check into it yet. Would be great if they were close. I could probably find another slider potentiometer that would meet my needs though. All RadioShack has is rotary pots, guess I'd have to snoop around online to find what I need.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2008 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, here's the LC2 pulled apart:

And here's what I was worried about:

Hard to see in the picture, but the POT has two sets of three terminals. I was concerned it may be like this. One layer for left channel, one layer for right. I don't know the technical term for this type.

So what I'm thinking ill do, since I'm fairly certain the performance sound is only a single unit as it controls the amp gain, I'll replace the performance sound POT with two slider pots mounted together.

So sliding the performance sound knob will move the two slider pots, controlling this unit. Where the knob is currently mounted on the unit I'll have a connector for the wiring harness.

Edit: I'm seeing something called "Stereo" pots here, maybe that will do what I need?
http://www.labelec.be/products.aspx?sid=181

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 01-31-2008).]

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2008 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The non-linear stereo slide pot is what you're looking for. If you can find one with the right resistance range, you're set.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 01-31-2008).]

Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2008 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The stereo slide pot is what you're looking for. If you can find one with the right resistance range, you're set.

Excellent, that is what I was hoping

With luck I'll find one that will fit well in the overhead.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2008 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Eau_Rouge:

Hey guy's, sorry but I've got what might be a stupid question to ask so I appologize ahead of time.
My question is - does adjusting the gain on an amplifier reduce the watts RMS that is sent to the subwoofer. I've also got a similar set up to Xanth's in my car with the exception of the amplifier as I'm afraid to use my current amp which is rated at 170 watts RMS x 1 channel. If reducing the gain to minimum will reduce the RMS watts then that will save me from getting another amplifier. Can someone confirm whether adjusting the gain does anything to the RMS watts sent to the sub. I've got a sub that's rated at 50 watts RMS and I don't want to over power it and blow it up.

Thanks!

Bringing down the gain just drops the strength of the signal contained in the current. It does not change the current. You can ramp down an amplifier pretty easily. What you do is change the ohms of the speakers upward. In other words, if the amp operates at 500w @ 4 ohms, put it into a 16 ohm speaker system and the wattage effectively drops down to possibly as low as 100 watts. (more heat though) Also, the maximum wattage is at maximum volume. Run your volume at 1 or 2 and you are also effectively reducing your wattage. Hope this helps.

Also, check the wattage rating. Is it maximum wattage or RMS wattage? Huge difference.

Arn
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2008 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Arns85GT

11159 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Just about anything soft and fluffy should work. Some common things to use for stuffing are pillow stuffing, cotton balls, and fiberglass insulation. (Although, I wouldn't suggest using fiberglass insulation. That stuff is evil!) Some common things to use for lining the walls are foam rubber, shaggy carpet, and blankets.

BTW, I really like your attention to detail. Keep up the good work!

The best thing is to get some Rock Wool at the building supply store. Rock Wool is used by professional sound engineers to dampen sound. It is flame proof to a very high degree and safer than fiberglass matting in a car.

Arn
PFF
System Bot
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2008 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First failure: the sub gave out rather suddenly. Everything was good, then like flipping a switch its rattling. Cant afford to replace it, just continue with what i have for now.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Browsing through subs, I'll probably either grab this one:
http://www.partsexpress.com...?&Partnumber=264-826

Or this one, same one FieroSound used in his Fool Everybody thread:
http://www.partsexpress.com...?&Partnumber=264-831

The first one is rated for higher watts and at 8ohms, so may be the better match for my amp, going by what Arns85GT is saying.

The second one though is highly recommended, but is rated for less watts at 4ohms, I may just ruin that one as well.

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 02-01-2008).]

Eau_Rouge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Eau_RougeSend a Private Message to Eau_RougeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After months of trying to get an Xtant 1.1i as recommended in the other threads and having no luck, I found an older kenwood KAC 33 amp on ebay that is rated at 30 watts RMS x 1 channel. I ended up buying it for a little over $20 plus shipping. I have the recommended 5 inch subwoofer and hopefully the amp that I bought will be a good match for it. When I get it and set it up I'll post my opinion on it.

...just a suggestion, keep an eye out for low power amps on ebay. It may be a better alternative.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If this continues to be a problem I will give a lower rated amp a try, or go ahead with my ideas on installing an 8inch sub under the dash.

I believe though that first sub should be able to handle my amp.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2008 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, my Tang Band sub is on the way
http://www.partsexpress.com...?&Partnumber=264-831

Also on the way are the slide resistors I need to modify the overhead console. With any luck by this weekend I'll have the sub in and the overhead volume control working.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2008 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, here goes my modification of the Performance Sound overhead unit.

Quick reminder, I'm using the PAC LC2 line converter, which has a volume control on it. It uses a Stereo 50kohm rotary resistor:

Here is the stock unit, you can see the variable resistor in the center, used to control the gain on the stock system:

I removed the bracket and buttons, leaving just the variable resistor:

One of the new variable resistors, a single 50 kohm audio taper slide resistor with 30mm of travel:

Testing the fit of the new resistor in the assembly, this resistor will be the one the slide knob fits onto:

Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2008 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Xanth

6886 posts
Member since May 2006
Next step, I modified the bar to accommodate the second slide resistor. The reason I need to use two resistors is the the PAC resistor is stereo, but I was unable to find a stereo slide resistor small enough.

New sliders installed in the bracket:

I modified the slider on one of the new units to somewhat match the original slider so the knob will snap on:

Heres the sliders with centers removed, the modified slider is in the factory position:

Here's the factory knob, notice the cutout in one side? It is important.

I made up a dowel that goes through the hole in the knob, and through both sliders so they will move at once. Afterwards I used some hot glue to sturdy the assembly together.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2008 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Xanth

6886 posts
Member since May 2006
Soldered leads onto the new resistors, and sealed them with hot glue:

Bracket reinstalled with new resistors and connector:

Here is the factory connector on the Performance Sound overhead, problem is it does not mate with the wiring in my Formula, non-performance sound units have a wide 2-pin connector:

So, heres the pins removed from the stock two-pin connector:

Overhead unit is now done, all factory Performance Sound wiring is removed, so unit will plug right into my Formula:

Here it is from the front:

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 02-10-2008).]

Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2008 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Xanth

6886 posts
Member since May 2006
Moving on to the PAC L2 unit, I'm replacing the wires where the volume knob used to be, with wires that match the color setup I used on the overhead:

New connector in place of the original knob:

Connector to mate with my speaker harness in the car:

PAC LC2 reassembled with connectors to match my custom harnesses:
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave