Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Crank no start. Fires immediately with starting fluid. 50psi fuel pressure.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Crank no start. Fires immediately with starting fluid. 50psi fuel pressure. by imjoeking
Started on: 05-25-2024 06:21 PM
Replies: 11 (211 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 06-07-2024 12:09 PM
imjoeking

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2024 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imjoekingSend a Private Message to imjoekingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Howdy. In a bit of a pickle with my L67 swapped 86 GT Auto. For reference, I have a brand new (and beautiful I might add) swap harness from P-Body Motorsports that I installed last year. A couple months ago, my fuel pump suddenly went out. Relay clicked but would not prime with the key on. Towed it home, dropped the tank, and saw the in tank wiring melted in the connector. Previous owner installed a 340lpm pump without beefing up the wiring. I followed FieroAustin's beefed up fuel pump wiring I didn't want to cut into my wiring harness so, I just installed a switch to manually switch on and off the new relay, at least temporarily so I know everything works.

New AEM340 pump works, and I have 50psi of fuel pressure at the rail. But the car will not start. It'll run if you dump a can of starting fluid into the intake but will die soon after. The only thing I can think of is that my injectors aren't firing but I find it unlikely that both my fuel pump and injector circuits went out at the same time. Both injector fuses are good. Also tried two different PCMs. My buddy said I could try "bleeding" the rail because he says he heard air by the fuel pressure regulator. Cracked open the return line with the pump running and the sound got a bit quieter and it sounded like it wanted to start for a second but we couldn't make any more progress there. I also can't find any info on bleeding being an issue with these motors, only diesels, and I never had to bleed anything when I swapped out my old rail.

Since I bypassed the PCM relay control, could the 3800 PCM possibly be looking for a signal from the fuel pump relay before starting? I looked over countless pinouts and diagrams and I couldn't find anything that could lead to that, but I could easily be missing something.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2024 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is no feedback loop from the FP relay.

Look at the ICM, it needs to see crank rpm to turn on the injector trigger circuit.
imjoeking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2024 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imjoekingSend a Private Message to imjoekingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

There is no feedback loop from the FP relay.

Look at the ICM, it needs to see crank rpm to turn on the injector trigger circuit.

That's what I figured. What specifically should I be looking for?

[This message has been edited by imjoeking (edited 05-25-2024).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2024 04:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imjoeking:

That's what I figured. What specifically should I be looking for?

Corroded terminal, broken or pinched wire.
I don't recall which wire signals the PCM, as I am traveling and do not have my pinouts with me.

If your ICM/coils are remote mounted, be sure there is a heavy gage ground wire from the ICM plate to the engine block.
imjoeking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2024 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imjoekingSend a Private Message to imjoekingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well. Came out to a completely dead battery. Worked fine the other day. Oh well.

Anyways, I (think) I figured out what wire I needed to look at. Pin D on the ICM harness plug. Did a continuity check on it and the corresponding pin on the PCM connector and it checked out. Engine ground and ICM ground is also good too. I'm unable to turn the engine over and hook up a scan tool until I get the battery warrantied later this week. You'd think since the motor starts and even revs with starting fluid the ICM and crank sensor would be good, right? All 6 injectors are showing the correct resistance too.

------------------
L67 Swap / 3.1 Pulley / S1X Cam

XxdjxX89

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2024 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XxdjxX89Send a Private Message to XxdjxX89Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While having someone crank the car back probe injector harness at the fuel injector and make sure one side has solid power and the other is being pulsed
imjoeking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2024 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imjoekingSend a Private Message to imjoekingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by XxdjxX89:

While having someone crank the car back probe injector harness at the fuel injector and make sure one side has solid power and the other is being pulsed

Connected a noid light to all 6. All failed. I also replaced the crank sensor to rule that out and because it gave me issues before. Still nothing. ICM was replaced last year with a refurb. Also tried with another PCM

Where do I go from here? All of my grounds seem good, no shorts or cut wires from the ICM/CPS to the PCM. I know my injectors aren't getting power, but why!!!! The harness is brand new and I didn't touch it when I did my fuel pump rewire. Unless somehow when my in tank connector failed it took out everything - without blowing fuses - which I doubt lol. I'm at a loss.

Here's a picture of my ICM ground wire in case anyone is curious. It's looked like that since I've owned the car so it should be fine, but maybe I'm just missing something simple....

------------------
L67 Swap / 3.1 Pulley / S1X Cam / 4T65EHD
Kansei KNP wheels / Hiro Performance Coilovers / WCF Camber arm / Fiero store front + rear sway bars

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2024 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your noids didn't pulse when cranking.....

There should be 12v Key On the pink wire on each injector - terminal B
The PCM triggers each injector by grounding the wire at terminal A.
The PCM needs to have 12v Battery and 12v Key On.
The PCM needs to have good grounds.
The PCM case should not have direct contact to ground when mounted.

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2024 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your problems sound similar to mine. First i had random stalling - no warning - just a 3800SC running perfectly or not at all. Then she wudnt start at all. After trying everything that i cud think of, i finally hauled her to Jelly2m8 and he traced it down to three bad connections between the ECM and the ICM. Put in a known good harness, and she fired right up. Now he is trying to fix various and assorted issues. During all that, we found out that my TB was not from a 2002GTP like the rest of the car, but from an older supercharger. The MAF was NOT from a 2002 and was sending a wrong signal to the ECM that Ryan Gick had programmed for a 2002. That was probably why she was running rich and overheating the trunk (i melted clothes in the trunk - the carpet had been taken out fortunately) even tho i have the 1/2" space, the heat shield, and the exhaust tape. Hopefully when i get these issues sorted out i will have a reliable car. Blessings to you on your car.

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 3800SC, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

imjoeking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2024 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imjoekingSend a Private Message to imjoekingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
12v to the injectors. All 4 PCM grounds pass continuity. OBD has no power. PCM is mounted between the firewall and center console. PCM fuse is good. I don’t think I have 12v or key on 12v to the PCM. My radio and all my other electronics work

Looking at a pinout im seeing that C1-20 should be my +12v for the PCM and OBD. All it says for destination is “power distribution”. Where does the PCM get power from? Is it the white block underneath the drivers side speaker? And how did it run with starting fluid?

[This message has been edited by imjoeking (edited 06-06-2024).]

imjoeking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2024 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imjoekingSend a Private Message to imjoekingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I feel like I’m chasing a dead end. Traced the key-on pcm power to the PCM fuse to find there’s only one wire going to it. The other unused terminal looks like it’s never been used and I don’t see any evidence of a wire being ripped out.

The “always hot” pcm power and OBD power trace to pin B on C203 - the fuel pump circuit? I’m so lost.

What’s really confusing me is that when the car died originally, the original fuel pump relay still clicked so the pcm was definitely getting power.
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2024 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beauty in a wiring harness is not how it's wrapped, but in how it it assembled.
Evidently, your harnesses beauty is only skin deep.

Your engine fired on starting fluid because it had air, spark and fuel from the starting fluid.
Your PCM wasn't pulsing the injectors.

Your harness needs to be properly wired for your problems to disappear.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock