headlight woes. (no low beam) by cartercarbaficionado
Started on: 05-25-2024 01:29 AM
Replies: 8 (84 views)
Last post by: theogre on 05-26-2024 07:40 AM
cartercarbaficionado

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2024 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fun times. driving the car and parked it and when I went to go somewhere later tonight my headlights weren't on. thought that was a little weird so I checked to see if my high beam worked and they do so after making sure my other vehicle would start I checked the low beam power wire and it's showing 0 volts so something decided to die
any ideas before I order a headlight switch and starting checking for loose or blown up wires
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2024 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
like many things in my life somehow turning it off and on again magically fixed it. I have no idea how or why but I'm just gonna assume my headlights can randomly lose power and carry an adjustment tool and a small harness I'm going to make incase I need power again in an emergency
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2024 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you sure your car wasn't in a flood?
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2024 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Are you sure your car wasn't in a flood?

it was not. just very old with factory original everything at 150k sitting in California's rainy section for 15 years
based on what it did I think a connection decided to break loose so I'm probably gonna find it real quick.
unlike my passenger window switch that decided to reverse its directions and stayed that way
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2024 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beam switch on steering column likely dead.

⚠️ Headlight & Beam/dimmer switches hate any brighter bulbs drawing more power then OE Bulbs. So even when fix, should have relays if using SilverStar et al pulling more power even if are DOT legal to run them.

see https://web.archive.org/web...ierocave/lightme.htm

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2024 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Beam switch on steering column likely dead.

⚠️ Headlight & Beam/dimmer switches hate any brighter bulbs drawing more power then OE Bulbs. So even when fix, should have relays if using SilverStar et al pulling more power even if are DOT legal to run them.

see https://web.archive.org/web...ierocave/lightme.htm

except these are the stock halogen bulbs and they are working correctly now, also wasn't the beam switch as it turns out a wire just decided to break under the car for whatever reason. not sure why or how but that was the cause since it started smoking
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2024 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cartercarbaficionado:
except these are the stock halogen bulbs and they are working correctly now, also wasn't the beam switch as it turns out a wire just decided to break under the car for whatever reason. not sure why or how but that was the cause since it started smoking
Under?

HL wires don't under the car.
HL Main power goes thru the console to get to everything else.
HL switch to Beam switch to C100 thru "frunk" to the bulbs that ground next to HL lifts.
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2024 05:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cartercarbaficionado:
Under?

HL wires don't under the car.
HL Main power goes thru the console to get to everything else.
HL switch to Beam switch to C100 thru "frunk" to the bulbs that ground next to HL lifts.[/QUOTE]
ok so then why did that fix it.... guess I'll be buying a entire harness for this car because it's weirder and weirder and I'm running out of patience to keep dealing with it st this point
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2024 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cartercarbaficionado:
ok so then why did that fix it.... guess I'll be buying a entire harness for this car because it's weirder and weirder and I'm running out of patience to keep dealing with it st this point
Again, HL never went under the car nor does anything else. nearly everything in the cabin & front goes thru the console then under the dash or thru C100 to "Frunk."

Under the car has "modified" wiring likely went to other mods that may not even be there now & have cut wires that short out. HL Bulb "Fuse" is a auto breaker built into the HL Switch. So If have/had Fog/Driving light wired to LB HL wrong then can short out the LB "tripping" the breaker that will make them Blink as Breaker auto resets again forever. Or does a "soft short" that burns wires because just enough resistance to "kill" power to the bulb w/o tripping the breaker.

Fog/Driving Lights need Relay like in the cave https://web.archive.org/web...t/~fierocave/fog.htm

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock