ECM upgrade my conclusion by Yellow-88
Started on: 05-24-2024 11:23 AM
Replies: 1 (86 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 05-24-2024 01:12 PM
Yellow-88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2024 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Yellow-88Send a Private Message to Yellow-88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello

After reading everything posted on this subject on this and other forums (even the archived stuff) I've concluded this.

The ECM is matched to the engine. Upgrading to the 7730 is because you swap to a different (newer design) engine. Reprograming to "correct" a "mismatched" engine can be done but is way more work than "results". A standalone engine management system can probably get optimal performance from "any engine".

I started my "car guy" life in the early 70s with British Sports cars running multiple carburetors and wire wheels. Optimal performance meant setting everything to optimal conditions. When all is said and done, nothing has changed. If anything is different, it's the addition of "computer controlled' fuel mixture and spark timing instead of breaker points, swinging weights, mixture adjustment screws and lifter clearances.

At some point I may consider a Microsquirt system. For now I'll do what is quietly running under all discussions of ECM upgrades. Make sure that everything, including sensors and electrical connections, are clean, lubricated and set to optimal conditions. Just like I used to in the "good old days".

I'd like to thank every body who contributed to this subject.

Yellow-88
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2024 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Yellow-88:

Hello

After reading everything posted on this subject on this and other forums (even the archived stuff) I've concluded this.

The ECM is matched to the engine. Upgrading to the 7730 is because you swap to a different (newer design) engine. Reprograming to "correct" a "mismatched" engine can be done but is way more work than "results". A standalone engine management system can probably get optimal performance from "any engine".

I started my "car guy" life in the early 70s with British Sports cars running multiple carburetors and wire wheels. Optimal performance meant setting everything to optimal conditions. When all is said and done, nothing has changed. If anything is different, it's the addition of "computer controlled' fuel mixture and spark timing instead of breaker points, swinging weights, mixture adjustment screws and lifter clearances.

At some point I may consider a Microsquirt system. For now I'll do what is quietly running under all discussions of ECM upgrades. Make sure that everything, including sensors and electrical connections, are clean, lubricated and set to optimal conditions. Just like I used to in the "good old days".

I'd like to thank every body who contributed to this subject.

Yellow-88

I would just add... definitely run a can of Seafoam through your tank. The last thread made it seem like your car will be destroyed if you pour a can of it into your tank. This is absolutely far from the truth. On an old high-mileage engine, it does more good than harm. You can expect CLOUDS of smoke once the carbon deposits start breaking free from the valves and the piston tops. And then within the next 30 minutes, your car will run like a brand new car. I've run a can of Seafoam in every car I've owned, and I've never experienced the problems that was being discussed about it destroying the injectors. I have destroyed a catalytic converter, but it was when I dumped a whole can into a tank that was only 1/4 full... because I thought... why not... I want to REALLY clean the engine... which it did, but it literally melted my catalytic converter. When you dilute it into a FULL tank of gas (e.g., got to the station, pour it in first, and then fill up), it will completely clean out and unstick your injectors, the entire intake passage from the injectors on, the valves, and the piston tops. The inside of your engine will be gleaming. Trust me...
IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock